Recent Hanson Roberts print quality

HaroldMarold

HaroldMarold

Hello,

Does anyone have a recent printing of the Hanson Roberts who can comment on print quality?

I got a sealed "old" printed in Belgium deck thinking Belgium is always better than Italy, and it's a real disappointment. Several cards are printed out of focus, including The Star, the ace of cups, seven of cups and 4-5-6 of wands.

Is anyone able to comment on the printings currently for sale? Better yet, can you take nice close up pictures or scans?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I'm sorry to say that I cannot help, but I really look forward to the answer to this question!

I only have a vintage Hanson Roberts, 6th printing, which is of fantastic quality in both images and cardstock (though warped and yellow with age).  The box is long gone, but the LWB says "Printed in U.S.A"--I would wager they're talking about the LWB itself?

I have been curious about obtaining a new copy at times, to keep the vintage one in retirement. 🙂 Hope someone can help!

I've never had a Hanson Roberts. But the more recent reviews on amazon say the printing is vivid and don't mention any blurriness. Some of them do complain about the stock, but others love it. (I'm guessing it's kind of plasticky, like the current Albano?) 
I did see a review that mentioned washed out colors, but it's from 2015. The more recent reviewers seem happy with them, and there's a fair amount of photos there. Besides, for 14.26 you can't go wrong. If you don't shop at amazon, there's always the Book Depository or the US Games site.

I haven’t this deck so I can’t really comment here, but regarding « out of focus/blurriness » this can point out a fake, and these days fake decks are increasing.

Of course I don’t state that your deck is a fake but on my side blurriness is the main alert in that direction though.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:51 AM, Decan said:

I haven’t this deck so I can’t really comment here, but regarding « out of focus/blurriness » this can point out a fake, and these days fake decks are increasing.

Of course I don’t state that your deck is a fake but on my side blurriness is the main alert in that direction though.

You may be right, that hadn't even occurred to me. 
I did a few searches and didn't find any mention of blurriness at all other than this from our own gregory:
https://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=4631317&postcount=2

And it sounds like she's talking about the whole deck, not just some of the cards? if you see this, can you clarify, gregs? 

Here's a whole thread about different printings, albeit it's old - from 2004 or so. No mention of blurry cards at all:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=66418

I saw it and yes, I meant the whole deck. And mine predates mass piracy.

I find it - blurry !

But I think the deck talked about here is not the Hanson-Roberts Universal (which that thread was about) - but this one:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/hanson-roberts/

About which I said nothing.

timtoldrum

Hi

Much to my own surprise I like the Hanson-Roberts. I own the Belgian version. It is not without its flaws: the colours are far more muted than the first edition printed by AGMuller. Some of the cards can appear off centre but I would not say out of focus. 

When US Games started printing in Italy, there were batches of the Hanson-Roberts Tarot that had Belgian boxes (orange window box) but Italian cards (as seen on the dedication card). You cannot identify these without removing the shrink wrapping.  These were decks were poor: the card stock was slippery, some colours were effected and the cards smelt and some looked pixelated. 

However, some of these appear to have been rectified. I’ve seen latter printing in the new boxes and these are not as bad.  

There is a Chinese printing of the deck (mini) that is closer to the Swiss version. I used this when I couldn’t shuffle well due to flare-ups. I’ve attached my Belgian and the Chinese Mini.

I’ve also attached the Carta Mundi Albano (Belgian) and Italian. The Italian here sounds like your Hanson. It may be you got one of the Belgian boxes but Italian decks. 

85D67F78-7E4B-4ACA-8555-6CA93943A8C0.jpeg

E94C08D1-6EF2-4FA4-BD8D-31CEBA80002D.jpeg

9 minutes ago, timtoldrum said:

Hi

Much to my own surprise I like the Hanson-Roberts. I own the Belgian version. It is not without its flaws: the colours are far more muted than the first edition printed by AGMuller. Some of the cards can appear off centre but I would not say out of focus. 

When US Games started printing in Italy, there were batches of the Hanson-Roberts Tarot that had Belgian boxes (orange window box) but Italian cards (as seen on the dedication card). You cannot identify these without removing the shrink wrapping.  These were decks were poor: the card stock was slippery, some colours were effected and the cards smelt and some looked pixelated. 

However, some of these appear to have been rectified. I’ve seen latter printing in the new boxes and these are not as bad.  

There is a Chinese printing of the deck (mini) that is closer to the Swiss version. I used this when I couldn’t shuffle well due to flare-ups. I’ve attached my Belgian and the Chinese Mini.

I’ve also attached the Carta Mundi Albano (Belgian) and Italian. The Italian here sounds like your Hanson. It may be you got one of the Belgian boxes but Italian decks. 

85D67F78-7E4B-4ACA-8555-6CA93943A8C0.jpeg

E94C08D1-6EF2-4FA4-BD8D-31CEBA80002D.jpeg

Thank you for this! I am curious if the Chinese-printed mini Hanson Roberts is super thin. I think I had one of these and passed it along because the “cards” were little more than paper!

timtoldrum
8 minutes ago, vulprix said:

Thank you for this! I am curious if the Chinese-printed mini Hanson Roberts is super thin. I think I had one of these and passed it along because the “cards” were little more than paper!

Not thin, but it’s not heavily laminated. I riffle and it is fine. 

timtoldrum
1 hour ago, Decan said:

Well, for the Italian Carta Mundi Albano I can't believe my eyes 😲

If I had got a copy of it, I would have believed it was a fake; how an official printer can make a deck like that? Mystery, mystery...

I believe that Carta Mundi had a license to issue settled in 1980s. It is published as jeu de tarot Albano-Waite

and I got it from Amazon.fr.

There was a German version issued, too. 

To be honest I have wondered how US Games got the rights to issue Frankie’s cards. 

My favourite Smith-Waites (in print) are the Original and Albano. Sadly, both suffered by the Italian printing and US Games have (I’m advised) no plans for a reissue. The Carta Mundi Albano is nice - it’s not perfect, but I am happy with it. I’m not paying £250 + for an original lol

1 hour ago, timtoldrum said:

To be honest I have wondered how US Games got the rights to issue Frankie’s cards. 

As do I. 
Correlation may not equal causation, but I do find it suspicious that both Tarot Productions and University Books ceased production around the time that Kaplan arrived seemingly out of nowhere and slapped a copyright on the RWS, Frankie Albano dropped out of sight, never to be heard from again - and USG is selling his deck.

There's never been an explanation offered for any of this that I'm aware of.

Edited by katrinka
timtoldrum
48 minutes ago, katrinka said:

As do I. 
Correlation may not equal causation, but I do find it suspicious that both Tarot Productions and University Books ceased production around the time that Kaplan arrived seemingly out of nowhere and slapped a copyright on the RWS, Frankie Albano dropped out of sight, never to be heard from again - and USG is selling his deck.

There's never been an explanation offered for any of this that I'm aware of.

Yes. The dates do correlate. It is clear Mr. Kaplan firmly believes in his copyright; however, from the discussions over the years, it seems he had a licence to issue rather than ownership. However, it is bewildering that this license includes the Albano. I don’t get that. I mean why not the University Books or the Hoi Polloi?  Strange affairs.