Deck of The Week: Sign-up Thread: Week 185 : January 23 - January 29

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a deck (or decks) to work with for the week.

All are welcome. Please join us!      The only rules we have are the Tarot Tea & Me rules; be respectful to each other.    

You can drop in and out,  time and real life permitting.   New to tarot?  Long time reader?   Come on in.  

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc., or NOT - it's all up to you.  

Participants:

1.  VGimlet - Madhouse Tarot

2.  AlbaTross - Ghost Tarot

3.  vulprix - Trionfi della Luna

4.  Amberjune - Serpentfire Tarot and the Anubis Oracle

5.  Mi-Shell - Wingspan Deck

6.  Bodhiseed - Alchemical Renewed Tarot & Radiant Sun Oracle

7.  blue_crow_laura - Wildwood, &  Hedgewitch's Botanical Oracle

8.  AJ-ish/Sharyn - Lojong for the Layperson

9.  Mokona - Mystical Manga Tarot 

(495)

Edited by VGimlet

Lots of interesting decks in use this coming week!

I'm in with the Alchemical Renewed Tarot paired with the Radiant Sun Oracle. 

Thank you VGimlet!

blue_crow_laura
14 hours ago, Amberjune said:

I'm in with the Serpentfire Tarot and the Anubis Oracle.

I love my Anubis Oracle! I tend to only bring it out on special occasions, which is a shame. Wish you the best working with it this week. 🙂

And I'll be using the Wildwood, paired with the Hedgewitch's Botanical oracle. Feeling like a Wildwood kind of week already....

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Thank you, I have your lovely companion booklet. I realized today looking at it though with my vision problems I should disassemble it, scan each page, then enlarge the page, then make a new copy, something I have to do as a workaround  with a lot of things now 🙂 

1 hour ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Thank you, I have your lovely companion booklet. I realized today looking at it though with my vision problems I should disassemble it, scan each page, then enlarge the page, then make a new copy, something I have to do as a workaround  with a lot of things now 🙂 

Could you enlarge the blog posts on your computer? They have the same info (plus more) that the booklet has.

Welcome to the Deck of the Week Mokona!    

Because there are so many new participants lately, if any of you are wondering -  the number in parenthesis under the names of our participants is the number of weeks this thread has been continually ongoing.  Started a long time ago on the old Aeclectic Tarot Forums, it was originally started by Nikki B., then taken over by...(I cannot remember his online name...it always escapes me) and then when he needed a break I took over.   When Aeclectic tarot forum closed, Little Fang kindly offered us a home, as did a number of other forums, but a vote was taken, and here were are today.    I think some of the other forums also started DOTW groups as well.    Okay, history lesson over, back to the decks!   

(i really WISH the tower would quit turning up in my readings - while I love change, sometimes just to shake things up,  I wish things would just CHANGE and not toy with me like this...)

The Madhouse Tarot is pretty interesting so far, I wasn't certain if I'd like it or not, but I'm leaning toward liking it at the moment.   

Edited by VGimlet

I looked to the Trionfi Della Luna (Paradoxical Blue Deluxe Edition) for some writing inspiration tonight 🙂 I don’t have a blacklight, but took a flash photo by candlelight for optimal effect that I could achieve!

Right now, I am trying to write a scene where something disturbing is revealed to the protagonist by her friend. She has to learn how to move forward with the new information—something that Beast card XV, Zeneelious, a card of convictions and climbing, is helping me formulate. 🙂 

1A7C3EEB-07B1-4EFA-BFC6-A3788085D241.jpeg

What an unusual (and lovely in its unique way) deck, @vulprix. I've always heard that courage is the choice to move forward because doing so is more important than the fear. 🙂

This week I'll be using the Alchemical Tarot Renewed along with the book Alchemy and the Tarot, both created by Robert M. Place and published by Hermes Publications. Paired with it will be the Oracle of the Radiant Sun deck and book set, created by Caroline Smith and John Astrop and published through Eddison-Sadd Editions. The draws for today are the Chariot and Vision:

chariot.jpgvision_0002.jpg
Few things are brought to a successful issue by impetuous desire, but most by calm and prudent forethought. ~Thucydides

Place illustrates this Chariot with Phaethon, son of Helios (the god who drove the Sun chariot across the sky). The boy managed to talk his dad into letting him take the reins one morning. Unfortunately Phaethon had more enthusiasm than skill or sense, and he ended up scorching fields and drying up rivers on his maiden voyage. Progress toward any goal requires more than just desire, but knowledge and self-discipline as well. We need to know what is worth paying attention to and what is simply a distraction. The card Vision shows the Sun in Pisces (good fortune paired with understanding and sacrifice). It seems to underscore the traits of a skilled charioteer who wants to reach his objective without leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. Abraham Lincoln nicely summed up the need for such preparation when he said: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the ax."

AJ-ish/Sharyn
19 hours ago, Bodhiseed said:

Could you enlarge the blog posts on your computer? They have the same info (plus more) that the booklet has.

well duh. And I've been there three times yesterday, setting up this week. Thank you! 

27 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

well duh. And I've been there three times yesterday, setting up this week. Thank you! 

💓 We all need reminders. :animated-smileys-hug-002:

On 1/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, blue_crow_laura said:

I love my Anubis Oracle! I tend to only bring it out on special occasions, which is a shame. Wish you the best working with it this week. 🙂

And I'll be using the Wildwood, paired with the Hedgewitch's Botanical oracle. Feeling like a Wildwood kind of week already....

I'm really looking forward to working with it (I switch my decks out with the moon,  and thus switch my decks at a later date) and plan to do one of the spreads in the book that came with it. Haven't used it very much and still in the getting to know you phase.

The Wildwood came up just recently for me as my deck of the week and is fast becoming a favorite. I really appreciate it and wish you much joy with it! Hedgewitch Botanical is also really great. I like it a lot and used it as one of my Year Ahead decks, together with the Weavers Oracle (which I use every year for my year ahead).

So, I'm having an interesting week so far with my Ghost Tarot deck.  This first spread is a simple three-card, option 1, option 2 and what I need to know type spread (read from left to right) pertaining to whether I should bring back a bible study I did with my friends pre-pandemic while we still have to meet online.0F1FBCB6-7240-4AA6-8308-6079C764EB6B.jpeg

The second is one exploring career options.  I didn't end up getting hired at a particular job I applied to after going in for an interview, but I did get The Magician prior to going in, implying that I am on the right track, career-wise (or at least that I have the skills and ambition, but encouraging in tone nonetheless).  Regardless, I decided to modify the option spread, and explore four options (left-right, up to down), with the what I need to know in the middle. 

It's quite interesting that I got a Major card for both the first option (continuing to apply for similar positions to the one I previous applied for), and the what I need to know.  The other options are all Pentacles, which certainly plays into a very salient aspect of job exploration, and they descend in value, with the lowest being just sticking with my current job (reversed Four of Pentacles).  The Fool obviously indicates I'm at the start of a journey, and that's definitely an encouraging card going forward.  The Star in particular is also encouraging.  I certainly didn't get any cards implying I should just give it up...though it is clear some options are more favourable than others.  Heck, there's even a pattern with the reversals here.  Neat.  

7DC41BE0-DE1B-4123-9BFA-E8363AA8493A.jpeg

Edited by AlbaTross

Read for a friend with the Mystical Manga tarot. Its imagery is clear and beautiful, but I find that it gives me challenging readings. I can't just glance over the spread and immediately get a sense of what's going on. For instance, in this reading with my friend, the deck gave a reversed Ace of Cups. I sort of realised in the middle of shuffling that I'd inadvertently shuffled some of the cards reversed. I don't shuffle cards reversed on purpose, so I usually avoid reversals- but if a card shows up reversed I do read it reversed.

Anyway, since I usually shuffle such that the cards are not reversed, I rarely read reversed cards. This deck likes to challenge me and so it did give me a reversed card. I think I'd have found it challenging even if I was in the habit of reading reversals because reversals have an even wider range of possible meanings than the upright cards do.

However the messages the Mystical Manga deck gives me are always on point once I'm able to decipher them.

aceofcuprev.jpg

4 hours ago, Mokona said:

Read for a friend with the Mystical Manga tarot. Its imagery is clear and beautiful, but I find that it gives me challenging readings. I can't just glance over the spread and immediately get a sense of what's going on. For instance, in this reading with my friend, the deck gave a reversed Ace of Cups. I sort of realised in the middle of shuffling that I'd inadvertently shuffled some of the cards reversed. I don't shuffle cards reversed on purpose, so I usually avoid reversals- but if a card shows up reversed I do read it reversed.

Anyway, since I usually shuffle such that the cards are not reversed, I rarely read reversed cards. This deck likes to challenge me and so it did give me a reversed card. I think I'd have found it challenging even if I was in the habit of reading reversals because reversals have an even wider range of possible meanings than the upright cards do.

However the messages the Mystical Manga deck gives me are always on point once I'm able to decipher them.

aceofcuprev.jpg

What a gorgeous card! I have the same relationship with reversals—preventing them 😉 They’ve come up often enough for me that I have gotten more relaxed with them, but I’m still not a great fan of the practice.

I love your Moomin icon too 🥰

(I agree on the courage front, @Bodhiseed!!)

19 hours ago, vulprix said:

What a gorgeous card! I have the same relationship with reversals—preventing them 😉 They’ve come up often enough for me that I have gotten more relaxed with them, but I’m still not a great fan of the practice.

I love your Moomin icon too 🥰

It really is a lovely card, the way her hair is like a waterfall and she's a being made of water reminds me that we are creatures of emotion, that our emotions and our intuition is important, what we're made of. We're afraid of overflowing and losing control of the flow but that can be a beautiful experience, finding out how much we can feel. The deck in general has lovely art and colours.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of reversals but I can't deny them and turn them upright whenever they do show up- I hope I become more relaxed with them with time, like you have!

Thank you for loving my icon, it speaks to my shabby chic cottagecore fantasies 🌼

So, I did a reading (option A, option B, what I should know) regarding whether or not I should spring for some expensive Kickstarter and former Kickstarter decks, with the implication appearing to be that I absolutely should: 

8DE03FC7-2B68-48AF-A9BF-C873A65FA49B.jpeg

Then I did one regarding whether I should indulge my estranged friend in an opportunity to reconnect with my friend group and I, with the implication seemingly being no at a glance, but actually being yes: 

A916361D-C2EB-4768-B781-4E58124DC128.jpeg

^I did do one I didn't take a pic of afterwards that insinuated I probably shouldn't seek long term reconnection though.

Apparently the thin card stock of Lo Scarabeo decks aren't as sturdy as I realized, or at least this one isn't, because: 

E1ADAFF0-A589-4FCF-938D-D1BBEF20E72C.jpeg

Noooooooo!!!!!!!

845BD61C-A5A6-4C40-9670-0B1544EDD32B.jpeg

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy???????

Edited by AlbaTross

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.