Thoth : Etteilla vs Crowley

jaygon

1 hour ago, jaygon said:

Thank you 🙂 

So two very different decks. I wonder if there are many more decks which fit into the Etteilla III/Grand Etteilla category? 

Not strictly Etteilla, but Paul Huson's Dame Fortune's Wheel is a modern deck with Etteilla based, illustrated minors and Marseilles majors. Huson is the author of Mystical Origins of the Tarot, (which is thankfully less 'mystical' and more good historical research).  

-

Edited by Rose Lalonde

Most of the Etteilla decks were known under a wide variety of names. Here are a few of them that come to mind:

Grand Etteilla I: Livre de Thot; Le Grand Etteilla; Tarots Egyptiens; Jeu de soixante-huit Tarots

Grand Etteilla II: Le Grand Etteilla; Jeu des 78 Tarots Egyptiens; Z. Lismon Tarot

Grand Etteilla III: Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames; Tarot Egyptien; Tarot Médiéval

On 11/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, jaygon said:

Thank you 🙂 

So two very different decks. I wonder if there are many more decks which fit into the Etteilla III/Grand Etteilla category? 

I'm a little late to the party... But yes! There are dozens of different variants of the Grand Etteilla decks. Here are the main categories, including the date in which they first appear:

1789 - Grand Etteilla I

1838 - Grand Etteilla II

1843 - Jeu de la Princesse Tarot

1856 - Grand Etteilla III

1874 - Dumont & B. Etteilla

1910? - Bouchet & H.R. Etteilla

Keep in mind that there are several different subcategories within these groups. Etteilla himself was only involved in the creation of the first group of decks. He died in 1791.

I’m not familiar with the last two :

1874 - Dumont & B. Etteilla

1910? - Bouchet & H.R. Etteilla

Are these decks, categories of decks?