Entering a Card via Intentional Meditation

Wyrdkiss

How many of you have engaged with a card's depth by doing an intentional visual mediation with the archetypes and symbolism?

I believe I started with a template from Mary K. Greer, but soon adapted for my own needs.

I have done so with several cards, all from the Thoth, which yielded some fascinating insights.  Not always a revelation, but worth the effort.

It's been ages, however, since I've traversed that territory. Thinking of venturing into it again.

And you?

smittenkitten

I've not tried it much, but apart from Mary K Greer's template, there's a great book called Inner Landscapes by Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki. It's out of print so hard to find, but it has some fantastic, detailed meditations for each of the major arcana.

My main issue is I hate the sound of my own voice, so I never get around to recording the prompts, but I am doing some work with court cards and have found entering the suits to be a powerful experience.

smittenkitten

I do similar to this a lot actually.  I visualise that I am in the card, I can talk to the people and they can answer me. I can go in and study the things in the card.  I can see how the story moves on.  Sometimes it helps me see more ideas the card is referring to.

I tend to do this with decks with strong, coherent, visual imagery - collage decks don't work for me to do this with for example.

My favourite decks for this type of meditation currently is the Witches' Wisdom Tarot, Triple Goddess Tarot and Herbal Tarot.

I enjoy doing this and exploring the card through meditation. I see it as quite separate from reading for myself or others with it. It's a spiritual meditation with the card.

I think it works best with artworks great for intuitive reading with a lot of art and symbolism. I like to use the Osho Zen for this sort of thing. It's a controversial deck now with Osho but looking at the artworks is perfect for meditation / healing type purposes I find. It's a fascinating meditation always, especially when a message comes to you from the symbolism. Quite powerful.

FallenAngel

I'm planning on doing this as part of my learning of the RWS. Currently I'm working through the cards and noting down my intuitive responses, then looking at the meanings. I'm looking forward to doing the visual meditations on each card too 🙂

Edited by FallenAngel