Playing Card Oracles

marinaoracles

marinaoracles

Does anyone here know/use the Playing Card Oracles method created by Ana Cortez? 

I’ve been studying it and using it since around 2007 and it’s definitely my main method for reading playing cards. 

I wonder if anyone else here is interested in it as well! What’s your experience with the PCO?

I’ve used the PCO a lot in the past. It’s a really well-thought out system and rewarding to read with. I do prefer the original PCO to the alchemy edition. 

Edited by Flaxen

marinaoracles
4 hours ago, HOLMES said:

I never heard of it til now

I googled it and saw the free oracle school

Very bodicous to offer something like that free.

Funny, even though I have been using the system for a at least decade (and I've known Ana for just as long), I never really joined the school thing lol. 

It's a very unique playing card system. Many people don't really get into it because it changes a bit our usual idea of suit/elements, but once you get used it's interesting to work with. It also brings Geomancy in the mix, which I love. The book about it is very good, remains one of my favourites on divination even today! 

1 hour ago, Flaxen said:

I’ve used the PCO a lot in the past. It’s a really well-thought out system and rewarding to read with. I do prefer the original PCO to the alchemy edition. 

Yes, I too prefer the original PCO and I'm quite happy Ana has been using it more again in her videos and Zoom meetings. That said, I do enjoy using the Alchemical editions sometimes, when it calls to me. But my tried-and-true deck is the original vintage PCO.

Edited by marinaoracles
removing link

I really wanted to learn PCO, and I studied it and was practicing for a time, but I've found that now my mind converts all the PC into tarot equivalents 😛 I am not sure whether to let this be just the way I read the cards, or if I ought to go back and re-study PCO meanings. Many meanings are quite similar across the 2 systems but not all, 5 of Spades for example is pretty different than 5 of Swords.

I studied this method but found the meanings to be too vague and new age-y for my taste. What’s your experience with her system? Does it hold up with more concrete questions? I use playing cards to read tarot pips, but my meanings come from Kapherus and Regina Russell. 

marinaoracles
20 hours ago, caliway said:

I really wanted to learn PCO, and I studied it and was practicing for a time, but I've found that now my mind converts all the PC into tarot equivalents 😛 I am not sure whether to let this be just the way I read the cards, or if I ought to go back and re-study PCO meanings. Many meanings are quite similar across the 2 systems but not all, 5 of Spades for example is pretty different than 5 of Swords.

Yes, it´s tough leaving behind the tarot meanings at first. 😆 Nowadays, I see the PCO and tarot as very separate creatures, but in the beginning the tarot minors' meanings also came to my mind very often!

19 hours ago, malvina said:

I studied this method but found the meanings to be too vague and new age-y for my taste. What’s your experience with her system? Does it hold up with more concrete questions? I use playing cards to read tarot pips, but my meanings come from Kapherus and Regina Russell. 

Yes it does - at least in my experience. I have had many accurate readings with it for the concrete questions - in fact, the more specific the question, the clearer the answer. The problem for me has been "forecasts" and that sort of stuff (like monthly or weekly or even daily questions), which are at once vague and concrete (vague because a forecast can give info regarding many things, but concrete because we are talking about upcoming facts). Then again... I have not been successful with this type of reading with any oracle to be honest... or maybe I'm just rusty, lol.

That said, I agree that, in the PCO book, some of the meanings are sorta wishy-washy and not really helpful in more practical subjects. I feel like some of them need to be "narrowed down" in order to actually give information on the daily nitty-gritty. It's a project I have been working on - trying to find the most concrete manifestations for these cards, but still within the range of possibilities given by the method. 

Edited by marinaoracles

21 hours ago, caliway said:

There's a reason for that. I'm guessing you're talking about Golden Dawn/RWS type Tarots? Waite borrowed heavily from Victorian playing card methods.
I do keep those types of Tarots to separate meanings from my playing card and pip decks, though. But for the most part, I use the same meanings for pip Tarots as I do for playing cards. Not Ana's, though. This guy is good, very Martello-based and he's been doing it forever. I met him at a yahoo group (!) for card reading a lonnnnng time ago. You get a really solid foundation.

https://artofcartomancy.blogspot.com/p/basic-cartomancy-skills.html