Skip to content

Cartomancy

Featured Replies

I am curious if anyone has any tips on traditional cartomancy books? 
There is a jungle out there on meanings on the cards. They seem to differ A LOT. So has anyone here any experience on the subject?

Mods please move this, it's in the wrong area.

The only books I use are long OOP: Leo Louis Martello's Its In The Cards and Minetta's Card Reading. I have others, I just don't find them as useful as these. There's been a terrible quality slide with books on this subject.

If you can't get those, though, Kapherus has been kind enough to create this blog. His method is heavily Martello-based, so you kind of get Martello even if you can't find the book. And playing cards have been his specialty for literally decades. The bonus is that you can use this for pip Tarots, too:
https://artofcartomancy.blogspot.com/

Sorry for posting in the wrong place!

Thank you so much for the advice! I will check the blog out! And if I can get a hold on some of the books in a used state 🙂

I moved the thread, no worries 🙂

Kapherus is excellent.  

 

I've had extremely accurate readings using "Fortune Telling with Playing Cards" by Sophia which I picked up from the bargain shelves at Barnes and Noble long ago.  I don't know much about the author.  There is a section on card spells that is also interesting.  You can still get a used copy on Amazon for cheap.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:06 AM, katrinka said:

Mods please move this, it's in the wrong area.

The only books I use are long OOP: Leo Louis Martello's Its In The Cards and Minetta's Card Reading. I have others, I just don't find them as useful as these. There's been a terrible quality slide with books on this subject.

If you can't get those, though, Kapherus has been kind enough to create this blog. His method is heavily Martello-based, so you kind of get Martello even if you can't find the book. And playing cards have been his specialty for literally decades. The bonus is that you can use this for pip Tarots, too:
https://artofcartomancy.blogspot.com/

I was surprised that I was able to get my hands on some of Minettas books!

On 10/29/2021 at 7:25 PM, Vesta said:

Kapherus is excellent.  

 

I've had extremely accurate readings using "Fortune Telling with Playing Cards" by Sophia which I picked up from the bargain shelves at Barnes and Noble long ago.  I don't know much about the author.  There is a section on card spells that is also interesting.  You can still get a used copy on Amazon for cheap.

Those books is in a series, right?

 

Edit: Oh, no sorry.. NVM. Is it the book from 1999?

Edited by Guest

Hi @Mira.  The copy I have was published in 1996.  It looks as though it was originally published by Llewellyn then picked up by Barnes and Noble.

14 hours ago, Vesta said:

Hi @Mira.  The copy I have was published in 1996.  It looks as though it was originally published by Llewellyn then picked up by Barnes and Noble.

Right, now I know which book it is! Thank you 🙂

On 10/28/2021 at 10:22 PM, Mira said:

There is a jungle out there on meanings on the cards. They seem to differ A LOT. So has anyone here any experience on the subject?

 

It's not a traditional book, but I have been using Ana Cortez's "Playing Card Oracles" for a decade now and I like it very much. Her method is quite unique and the book is very complete. She has a deck of her own (which is an illustrated version of playing card), but the method is meant for any common 52 playing card deck. If you want something different, I recommend checking it out. 

I was initiated into tarot first through cartomancy. I looked up the meanings on google and it always matched up with my intuition. its a fun alternative to tarot for me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.