What do you think of this deck? Should I buy it?

gregory

We have the enabling thread:

We have the de-enabling thread: 

But where do you go if you just want to say "What do you think of this deck ?" without asking to be enabled or de-enabled , just wanting an opinion ? There could be loads of individual threads - or there could be - THIS thread ! So - here it is - the opinion thread.

Edited by gregory

WELL - here's my latest acquisition to kick it off: Magicians, Martyrs and Madmen, as featured on Kickstarter. I am wrath taken with it. Not least with Crowley as the World. :evil:

Every card features a magician, madman or martyr who had occult connections, and the LWB (illustrated) gives full details about them,. I think it's RATHER fine. The artwork is good, too.

What think you ?

917128115_MagiciansMartyrsandMadmen.thumb.jpg.089a752c03d3963027b882d707232ccb.jpg

How are the minors depicted on that deck?  Is it all dark?  Jack the Ripper is a good choice for Death but very violent, IMO.  I had to look up La Voisin and started going down the rabbit hole. 

And never mind!  I just went to check on the Kickstarter page to see more images.  It looks like a fun deck (my notion of fun might be a little bit twisted).  It looks readable. Interesting.

It is readable - I'm sure it is, and as you now know, all the cards are illustrated and some are not particularly dark at all. Unless martyrs upset you, and "harmless" magicians. And the booklet is fascinating. Loads of people I had never heard of. And loads I had. Faust. Marie Laveau. Thomas More. Edward Kelley. It's a learning experience of its own - and that's just the book that comes with the deck.

Just to let everyone know, we have discussed it and I have moved the 3 deck discussion threads into the Tarot Decks area which is really where they should be 🙂

They are all pinned at top of Tarot Decks for future reference

It's a good idea to use this thread for quick deck opinions but also we don't want to silence the Tarot Decks section 🤣. Members are always welcome to start threads in this area to discuss decks at any time

Maybe we could call it: " What do you think about this deck? " Should I buy it? 

then it wouldn't be a discussion about the deck but just an opinion that would help those who look for info about a deck before buying it.

But I am happy for this thread anyhow. Thanks!

Edited by rylla

2 hours ago, rylla said:

Maybe we could call it: " What do you think about this deck? " Should I buy it? 

then it wouldn't be a discussion about the deck but just an opinion that would help those who look for info about a deck before buying it.

But I am happy for this thread anyhow. Thanks!

I think that was the aim, I believe Gregory was just getting us all started with her example 🙂

10 hours ago, gregory said:

It is readable - I'm sure it is, and as you now know, all the cards are illustrated and some are not particularly dark at all. Unless martyrs upset you, and "harmless" magicians. And the booklet is fascinating. Loads of people I had never heard of. And loads I had. Faust. Marie Laveau. Thomas More. Edward Kelley. It's a learning experience of its own - and that's just the book that comes with the deck.

Did I also see on that Kickstarter page that there was a hard cover book as well?  Did you support that?  Sadly, these sorts of things always seem to be around when I don't have the funds, but I think if I did that I'd definitely purchase it.  Even if for nothing more than the learning involved.

Does anyone have the Spirit Keeper Revelation edition? How do you like it? I've seen in White Feather's YouTube video (I believe) (her 3d reading) and I really was attracted to those cards. It is not in print now, but hope dies last and I understood from her website that is going to be printed again.

I tried to post just the link but that's what happened...I like her method of reading the cards so I am not deleting it, maybe someone is interested in checking it out.

Edited by rylla

This one ?

revelation-tarot-spirit-keeper-major-arcana.jpg

I know I'm awful - but the way they feel to me is that they are all so like the one just before them. I have the Vitruvian - that's enough for me, to be honest. Even though this has colour.

I do not have the versions before this one (well I don't have this one either yet). Comparing with the first Spirit Keeper on the net I noticed that the Revelation version is much "cleaner". In other words, the artist simplified the design, and the cards are much easier recognizable.  Plus I like that is colored, the cards seem to me more easily depictable. So for someone who doesn't have any version would you recommend buying this deck?

I will say, as someone for whom the other two were unobtainium but caught this one as she was making it, I'm overall happier with this one. She spent several months working on her art skills, focusing on how to improve, and I feel like it does show.

Added bit of enabling: she's now making an Etteilla deck in the same style, so if you got that they would match...

Edit: hot off the IG press!

Screenshot_20220930-003819.png.71b552fb241bf4b890bf856ed62693e0.png

So looks like a reprint is indeed on the horizon.

Edited by Niobium

Great! I'm really drawn to this deck so I hope that'll happen. Her decks are sold (or at least posted LOL) on eBay at a high price.

On 9/25/2022 at 12:04 PM, gregory said:

WELL - here's my latest acquisition to kick it off: Magicians, Martyrs and Madmen, as featured on Kickstarter. I am wrath taken with it. Not least with Crowley as the World. :evil:

Every card features a magician, madman or martyr who had occult connections, and the LWB (illustrated) gives full details about them,. I think it's RATHER fine. The artwork is good, too.

What think you ?

917128115_MagiciansMartyrsandMadmen.thumb.jpg.089a752c03d3963027b882d707232ccb.jpg

And so I'm curious now.  Have you read anyone with this deck and if so, how did it go?

I have it; I haven't read with it yet, but I think it can be done...Time will tell. I do like it a lot. And the LWB is fascinating.

So, I just came across the Zodiac Tarot from US Games (not to be confused with any of the other half dozen decks with the same name):

https://www.usgamesinc.com/zodiac-tarot

Does anyone have this, and if so, how do you like it? I'm really drawn to the art but I need another RWS clone like I need a hole in my head so I'd like to make sure I really want it.

5 hours ago, Niobium said:

So, I just came across the Zodiac Tarot from US Games (not to be confused with any of the other half dozen decks with the same name):

https://www.usgamesinc.com/zodiac-tarot

Does anyone have this, and if so, how do you like it? I'm really drawn to the art but I need another RWS clone like I need a hole in my head so I'd like to make sure I really want it.

I do not have it but I did go and look at the images.  I have ask, don't the images seem a bit stiff?  Plastic? 

3 hours ago, RunningWild said:

I do not have it but I did go and look at the images.  I have ask, don't the images seem a bit stiff?  Plastic? 

I see what you mean by this. This is a specific style that I've come across before and I happen to like, though I know it's not for everyone.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:04 AM, gregory said:

What think you ?

even if not well readable for snapping cards, I would buy it simply to geek out on the information.   Checking to see if KS is still live as we speak.