Using Lenormands as oracles? Anyone?

PathWalker

PathWalker

Here's the thing . . .I simply am never going to be able to remember all those rules and meanings to read Lenormand according to the traditional method.

I know it would be great, I know you can get a good book and so on - but I simply don't have the kind of brain/memory structure that's going to make that stick.

BUT I do have several very nice Lenormand decks LOL

So I was sitting with a German language deck this evening, and thought "If I'd just bought this in a shop had no book, had no internet, just these images, how would I read with this? What meanings would I ascribe? And what connections (if any) between cards?"

Because you know, someone made them all up, once upon a time! And although Lenormand readers seem to be frightfully keen on rules, it's just a lot of bits of card with pictures on, I could surely use them as an oracle if I wanted?

So has anyone done this? If so would you like to share a little,bit about how you came to your meanings? I'm thinking for starters I should compare the decks I ave (DO NOT BUY ANYMORE - note to self) and stat from there.

Didn't like to put this in the Lenormand section, because I suspect it might tart a riot there, and I'm not interested in getting into "proper" Lenormand methods  :classic_smile:

PathWalker

Edited by PathWalker

26 minutes ago, PathWalker said:

So I was sitting with a German language deck this evening, and thought "If I'd just bought this in a shop had no book, had no internet, just these images, how would I read with this? What meanings would I ascribe? And what connections (if any) between cards?"

I could surely use them as an oracle if I wanted?

So has anyone done this?

Most likely, to a certain degree, anyone who reads the Lenormand Oracle Cards (yes, they are) will have "done this", for the sole reason that reading according to something which isn't yours will only bring you so far (build a base, best case scenario).

You'll have to read according to your own observations and insights from a certain time onwards, for this will be this to you, and not "that".

It does not matter if it (the this) applies to you only, as long as you are the one doing the reading.

If you want to go from scratch (i.e. pictures on cardboard), I see no issue with it.

Figure out what kind of impact each of them cards has on you, derive your own meaning from there and you should be fine.

Then, stick to that and explore the blends.

Mi-Shell

I did "learn all the usual (beginner's) rules" about what exactly each card is supposed to mean, how to use the card inserts and so on.....

BUT although quite acculturated to western society, It is not my world view, so with the traditional images - red Owl blue Owl for example, I pretty quickly banged smack against all the images of a culture, that is not my "soul home".

So I put my decks away. 

Then I found a rather quirky none traditional Lenormand deck with beautiful evocative images that pulled me back in.

While doing a few first tentative readings for friends and regular clients - and of course myself, I realized, that I always tell people, "THIS is what this Lenormand card is supposed to mean and in this context - line of cards, sequence etc. these cards mean this and that... But for example I do also see this Bear and Bear in my culture means healing and knowledge of self and Fox stands for East, Morning, Sunrise and also for a being that sounds alarm when a nasty surprise lurks ...." and so on...

And surprise surprise, the segments of the reading coming from this part of my heritage were most often "bang on" while the traditional Lenormand meanings had much less of an impact.

So, my readings have "devolved" quite a bit from the agreed upon standard.

If you use the cards like an oracle, you will also learn which meaning you ascribe to which card to get some consistency for your readings.

Good luck♥

Misterei
3 hours ago, PathWalker said:

Here's the thing . . .I simply am never going to be able to remember all those rules and meanings to read Lenormand according to the traditional method ... but I simply don't have the kind of brain/memory structure that's going to make that stick.

... "If I'd just bought this in a shop had no book, had no internet, just these images, how would I read with this? What meanings would I ascribe? And what connections (if any) between cards?"

You touch upon an interesting question that was often a "war" in the tarot reddit. One reason I left there and came here. I know you're talking LeNormand ... but bear with me ...

One camp read tarots purely intuitively. Images only. No rules. No books. Just your intuition and the images. Being terminally online redditors these folks were convinced their way was superior and hated anyone old fashioned and un-original enough to actually (shudder) read books and memorize meanings. Apparently study reveals a total lack of intuition and creativity. And prolly you're a boomer.

The other camp read books and memorized meanings. And felt that the "intuitive" camp were lazy, entitled self-referential narcissists living in an intellectual vaccuum. (I think I was in this camp ... but again this is what I disliked about reddit. I never wanted to fight tarot wars)

In any case ... MANY people do read LeNormands or Tarots purely intuitively. With zero study. Just look at the images and apply your intuition.

So this method is certainly valid. I'm experimenting with it here on this forum in one of the reading circles.

I DO take exception to your statement that you're never going to be able to remember ....

A yoga teacher I really hated once said: "Can't lives on won't street."

I despised the woman ... I actually DO have disabilities and thus very real, actual physical limitations ... but she was right about this vis a vis attitude and mind.

So ...  unless you have actual severe learning disabilities (and maybe you do - I don't know you) you CAN learn traditional meanings if you want to. You may choose not to ... but that's a choice ... not a limitation. Can't lives on won't street.

It's also worth knowing the LeNormand "family of symbols" was part of a broader folk tradition that spread from Ottoman Empire to Europe. A similar symbol set was used in Coffee or Tea readings, LeNormands, Russian Pasyan cards and various other fortune telling systems from the 1800s. So this family of symbols was widely understood by fortune tellers of the time ... prolly by word of mouth and oral traditions.

Anyway, good luck on your journey.

DanielJUK

Of course you can read any cards however you like and put whatever meanings you want on each card. Some people on Aeclectic read them like oracles, so each card is individual.

But why use a Lenormand deck when you can use an oracle deck, unless you really want to use the deck and not learn the system?

Personally I think it's a shame that you don't get all the wonderful things out of Lenormand using it's system, because the combining gives really fast messages and to the point, in a way that is different to Tarot.

But if you get readings you are happy with, using it in a more oracle deck style, that's what works for you 🙂

PathWalker

Thank you everyone, good points, I appreciate it.

I'd like to use them, because I have them :classic_smile:  I have the original Pixie Lenormand, and the Day of the Dead by the same artist - back from AT days. And then my daughter gifted me a small handful when she pretty much gave up cards. They are nice, they are a small handful for shuffling - which is relevant if you have arthritis - and I enjoy the illustrations.

Truth be told, I don't have many oracles either (maybe a dozen), I am a tarot person through and through, but sometimes it's nice to get a different perspective, you know?

As for meanings - I could probably memorise the 36 meanings, although they don't all feel 'natural' to me - like Mi-Shell some of them bring other meanings to mind. What I can't do is grasp the innumerable variations of meanings that come when you start pairing, when they're in a line, when they're in a block, and so on. I'm a visual learner but that is all about the written rules of how you have to read them. I considered trying to work out how many possible combinations there are - but gave up on the maths LOL!

I have tried learning, I've written things down in notebooks and so forth, but it just doesn't stick.

I could get rid of the half dozen decks, or shove them to the back of the cupboard, but I thought it would be fun to use them sometimes.

Thanks for all the input

PathWalker

Oops ninjaed a bit. Hi Pathwalker - my post may repeat everything you just said....

28 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

But why use a Lenormand deck when you can use an oracle deck, unless you really want to use the deck and not learn the system?

I think Pathwalker made it rather clear - she has pretty decks she wants to use, and wonders about valid ways to use them, given that - for whatever reason - she finds she cannot cope with learning the system. (I rather get that; I have tried, and while I shall persevere at times, I have also thus far failed to get to grips. It makes me scream at times.) So yes that's exactly what she wants to to - to use some decks that are otherwise lying idle. I'd say - go for it, Pathwalker. They are your cards, after all.

And in answer to the actual question - I'd take one of your decks at a time, and make like people do when starting any system - make notes on everything you get from the card. Rinse and repeat with other decks you own. But it then sounds as though you will end up with meanings for each card. Now that's something that in my understanding doesn't  apply to oracle decks, which are totally freeform, aren't they ? I do know I can't get anywhere with those - I have tried, and (after I got the

11 hours ago, Misterei said:

lazy, entitled self-referential narcissists living in an intellectual vacuum

charge levelled at me (on AT) I was also told I could read with any old images - try pix from magazines, postcards, whatever. I did, not least because I felt I OUGHT to, given my  lazy, entitled self-referential narcissism !  NOTHING. But I DO get results reading by what came to be known as the glorpish method - but only from tarot decks,. (Which interestingly often deliver the same method as others get using generic meanings... but that's a whole different story.) Why - who knows.  If you can read in one particular way - do that. Good luck.

Edited by gregory