Skip to content

European stores for historic decks?

Featured Replies

Where would one go to browse historical decks - reproductions, revamps, clones - if one didn't want to pay for shipping from the US? Or generally from outside the EU. I know of Il Meneghello (very expensive) and Tarot de Marseille Heritage (only woodcutty Marseilles). Are we left with mass market decks on Amazon, or are there other small studio alternatives?

 

I know there are artists on Etsy but I'm not sure how/who to look for. Other than Gergely Bagameri, I already have two of his creations. Do you have any favorite creators to recommend?

 

For my general and indie decks I hunt on tarot.nl and Salon des Arcanes but if they carry historical decks at all they're the mass market editions.

Giordano Berti ? https://www.giordanoberti.com/en/categoria-prodotto/tarot-and-oracle-cards/ 

 

Alida: https://www.alidastore.com/ 

 

Librairie de L'inconnu  https://www.librairie-inconnu.com (Hm their website is crap - they have VAST numbers of decks. If you can get to Paris.... I do mean vast: here are just SOME of them:

 

img_20220319_162309.jpg

 

Of course, Guido Gillabel sells a few decks at his museum in Mechelen - https://tarotmuseumbelgium.com - or he did last time I was there  - well worth a visit anyway.

 

 

The museum in Riola: https://www.museodeitarocchi.com/en/the-museum

 

And of course Watkins in London - but sadly NOT EU so there may be customs fees. https://www.watkinsbooks.com

 

  • Author

Ooh what a treasure trove, thanks @gregory Giordano Berti and the Tarot Museum is exactly what I was looking for, but I will browse them all sooner or later.

You could also buy from Yves Reynaud, he ships from France. I was going to link his site for you but couldn’t find a working link so now I’m unsure if there is a temporary glitch or if he’s shop is not currently open 🤔

  • Author
14 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

You could also buy from Yves Reynaud, he ships from France. I was going to link his site for you but couldn’t find a working link so now I’m unsure if there is a temporary glitch or if he’s shop is not currently open 🤔

Hmm I haven't been able to find anything either. I did find a Grimaud deck fro 280EUR :rofl: On one hand that is Ludicrous and extortionate and paying 100 is the closest I've gotten to extravagant tarot spending. On the other hand - I have been saving, it's for Christmas, and I want to trust Grimaud quality more than a random self published person...? Don't tempt me, Frodo...

5 minutes ago, GreyBug said:

Hmm I haven't been able to find anything either. I did find a Grimaud deck fro 280EUR :rofl: On one hand that is Ludicrous and extortionate and paying 100 is the closest I've gotten to extravagant tarot spending. On the other hand - I have been saving, it's for Christmas, and I want to trust Grimaud quality more than a random self published person...? Don't tempt me, Frodo...

You could always do what several of us here have done - use photos of an historical deck from a museum site, and make your own deck. Several museum sites allow you to use their photos for non commercial projects. I have made quite a few historical reproductions based on photos from the British museum and from Gallica. I have printed them through Printerstudio, which is a print on demand company that has shipping facilities in the EU, so no extra custom charges. This means that you can get a historic reproduction at a very reasonable price. I know you’ve made your own decks before so I thought I’d at least mention this option 😊

  • Author
11 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I have printed them through Printerstudio, which is a print on demand company that has shipping facilities in the EU, so no extra custom charges.

Now that is fantastic news! So many possibilities! Thanks for letting me know.

29 minutes ago, GreyBug said:

Now that is fantastic news! So many possibilities! Thanks for letting me know.

You’re welcome! And beware, it’s a very addictive hobby 🤣

  • Author

@Raggydoll The only thing currently saving me is I expect it's quite a bit of work and I'm not in a place to put that work in. But when I do have that space - look out!

4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

You could also buy from Yves Reynaud, he ships from France. I was going to link his site for you but couldn’t find a working link so now I’m unsure if there is a temporary glitch or if he’s shop is not currently open 🤔

 

That IS the tarot heritage site.... https://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/

17 minutes ago, gregory said:

 

That IS the tarot heritage site.... https://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/

That was the link that didn’t work for me earlier today! So glad that it was a temporary glitch, because now I can access the page! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.