Skip to content

If you could have one feature in a tarot app, what would it be?

Featured Replies

Hello,

I’m building a non-AI tarot app. By “non-AI” I mean the app would not generate interpretations for you. Instead, it would focus on the reading process itself, so you could either interpret the cards yourself or use it as a tool when reading for someone else.

Im looking for ideas for features that aren’t already common in other tarot apps. I know most of the basics have probably been done, but here are a few ideas I’ve come up with so far:

1 After shuffling, you can cut the deck by choosing exactly where to cut it on the screen.

2 You can switch to a different deck in the middle of a reading.

3 There’s a reading timer you can pause, so you can keep track of how much time youve spent.

4 I’m not sure about this one but what if I add all the birthstones or other crystals, like you can draw one before the reading starts. I think i got this idea from Esotarot.

5 what else?

If you use tarot apps, what feature or combination of features would make another one genuinely useful to you? Even small details or annoyances with current apps might be helpful.

I’m new here,

Thanks,

Sebastian

I'd take a look at Orphalese, It's pretty much ideal.

  • Author
5 minutes ago, gregory said:

I'd take a look at Orphalese, It's pretty much ideal.

Its for windows only and i dont have a windows tablet or phone. I have an android tablet and an iphone. I wish i could look at it since it seems to have cool features but i cant use it.

  • Author
12 minutes ago, gregory said:

I'd take a look at Orphalese, It's pretty much ideal.

Thanks for the reply though. I watched a video and its cool. I will have to find my laptop and if the battery isnt toast i will download it.

6 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Its for windows only and i dont have a windows tablet or phone. I have an android tablet and an iphone. I wish i could look at it since it seems to have cool features but i cant use it.

I would think that if you're developing an app, you'll need to test it on a range of devices and operating systems. Unless you only want to make it for iPhones?

I generally don't need to carry a tarot deck with me wherever I go, so I don't use a tarot app. Once in a blue moon, however, I login to tarot.com for a free reading, just for fun. It's an old site, been around for ages, but maybe they have features there that you'd want to use for your app. I access it on my laptop.

I personally do not like downloading apps to my phone because having too many can slow it down. I much prefer using websites on my laptop over apps on my phone.

7 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Its for windows only and i dont have a windows tablet or phone. I have an android tablet and an iphone. I wish i could look at it since it seems to have cool features but i cant use it.

Sure - but for the facilities it offers, I'd not want anything more. And as geoxena says - you surely don't want to restrict your app to one OS. Better yet, even make it operable in Linux as well ! But nothing would make me use a tarot app on a phone. Never mind clogging up important things that phones need to do, the screen is just too small. If you are adding birthstones and the rest, it would be just too cluttered a screen. (Not that I have a good smartphone anyway !)

Oh gosh, birthstones. Honestly, I would probably roll my eyes and pass on an app that offers choosing my birthstone before a reading. Birthstones have nothing to do with tarot.

Edited by geoxena

  • Author

I meant Orphalese is for wondows only, not my app. I was planning on doing ios, mac, pc, android, linux, and maybe steam. I might do a webapp but probably not (im still looking into that one.)

I agree thatbOrphalese has a lot of cool features from the video. I dont have a working windows machine at the moment to install it.

But you need to be able to see the possibilities and look at all the OSs available. But geoxena's right - birthstones are just too much.

I am well aware that you were talking about Orphalese. When I wrote, "you'll need to test it on a range of devices and operating systems," I was responding to this:

11 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Its for windows only and i dont have a windows tablet or phone. I have an android tablet and an iphone. I wish i could look at it since it seems to have cool features but i cant use it.

In order to develop and test your app, wouldn't you need the equipment to do so?

And now you've stated this:

1 hour ago, Sebastian said:

I dont have a working windows machine at the moment to install it.

I wouldn't even consider starting work on creating an app if I wasn't prepared to test it on various operating systems during the process. How do you plan to do that? I would think that is an important step, if you want it to be useable by the most people possible. Otherwise, aren't you putting the cart before the horse?

Edited by geoxena

  • Author

wow well so much for asking about features. I only get criticism that has nothing to do with it. No i dont need a windows machine to start making the app. Guess what i also don't have a linux machine. The truth is that you actually dont need every machine to start building an app. That thinking is from like 20 years ago.

It’s already started. You can see a pic.

Now if anyone wants to actually answer my questiom that would be great. (Thanks to gregory who so far is the only one who provided anything helpful. Thanks for telling me about Orphalese.)

IMG-6510.jpg

Suggesting that you look at one excellent programme that means I, for one, will need no other, just to get an idea of what features make it so good, and your saying well you can't look at it because you don't have windows is somewhat dismissive. OK you can't assess any windows app. I'm guessing you are looking to mobile users. Fair enough - but there are a lot of tarot users who don't like mobile apps. It isn't a criticism to say find a way to look at what's out there, so that you aren't just reinventing the wheel..

  • Author
1 hour ago, gregory said:

Suggesting that you look at one excellent programme that means I, for one, will need no other, just to get an idea of what features make it so good, and your saying well you can't look at it because you don't have windows is somewhat dismissive. OK you can't assess any windows app. I'm guessing you are looking to mobile users. Fair enough - but there are a lot of tarot users who don't like mobile apps. It isn't a criticism to say find a way to look at what's out there, so that you aren't just reinventing the wheel..

I don’t have any problem with anything you said Gregory. You have been helpful. I’m not sure i would classify it as dismissive if i dont have a windows computer. I went to the page, watched the video i.e made every effort to follow up on the info your provided. I don't see how me not going out and dropping a few hundred dollars on a windows pc is being dismissive. That’s actually crazy to suggest. There are plenty of people who don't have a windows machine atm. Probably half the population actually.

I doubt if it's anywhere near half, actually. But have you no friends with a windows one ?

Make it so that you can turn Reversed cards off, some people don't use them - I don't so I wouldn't use a tarot app where you had no choice. Also maybe think about using coloured cards, black and white is boring, make a journal feature that will save the readings, also a choice of spreads.

I do have tarot apps on my phone, usually featuring my favourite decks and their companion books, Fool's Dog do a good selection of tarot apps, and Labyrinthos, maybe have a look at those for ideas.

It sounds promising so far! I'll return when I can think of something you haven't covered. I currently have Fool's Dog apps for some decks I personally own, so those are what I'm used to.

Thank you for not using AI. :)

17 hours ago, Sebastian said:

You can see a pic.

The image is not showing up for me. I'm seeing only a broken link.

Edited by geoxena

35 minutes ago, geoxena said:

The image is not showing up for me. I'm seeing only a broken link.

I see a pic 🤔

You might like to look at this thread

which will give you an idea of what people value.

If you want everyone to be able to see your images, BTW - upload them to the forum. Many countries block specific hosting sites - the UK, for instance, blocks IMGUR....

  • Author
42 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I see a pic 🤔

Weird. I saw it at first then ddindt see it 12 hours ago. And now i see it again.

18 hours ago, gregory said:

You might like to look at this thread

which will give you an idea of what people value.

If you want everyone to be able to see your images, BTW - upload them to the forum. Many countries block specific hosting sites - the UK, for instance, blocks IMGUR....

Thanks. I couldnt figure out how to put my picture on this site. Maybe you have to be paid member?

You can only upload images in posts when you reach 5 posts, then you can 😃

@Sebastian do you want to change your profile pic? You can do that by going to your profile, under your name at the top of the page. On your profile, click that menu and "edit profile picture".

It's fine to discuss what people want from a tarot app here, it's a fascinating discussion, but we do have a line where we don't allow self-promotion in general threads. If you want to promote your specific app and link it in future, you will have to subscribe for that and post in the promote yourself section. More details of our rules here

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.