Skip to content

Deck of the Week Sign-up Thread, Week 482: Sep. 28 - Oct. 4

Featured Replies

A unique version of Reading Circle for those who would like to work through their collection of decks, participants choose decks from their collections to work with for the week. Some use one deck, others use two or more. Some combine methods: Tarot, non-tarot (e.g. oracle), playing cards, or any other divinatory method is welcome. All we ask is that you use at least one tarot or oracle deck.

 

No collection is too large or too small. The only rules we have are the Tarot, Tea & Me Rules; Be respectful of one other. Please join us!

  • Please post with your choice of deck(s) for the week

  • Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it (or not), etc., it's all up to you 

  • Participants may either choose to share their readings here in this discussion thread or opt to have their own journal in the Journals Forum and link it here

  • Yet others may even have an offline journal in paper & pencil/pen form

 

Share as often, as much, or as little as you like. You can drop in and out at any time—reality and life permitting. New to tarot? Long time reader? Come on in!

 

Participants

  1. fire cat pickles: Tarot de la Rea

  2. Rachelcat: Knapp-Hall

  3. BrightEye: Knapp-Hall

  4. Bodhiseed: Buckland Romani Tarot paired with the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards

Click here for DOTW 480 (9/14 - 9/24)

Edited by fire cat pickles

Hi Fire cat and crew! This week I’m back to mid-century esoteric, with Knapp-Hall Tarot Deck. Mine is an old U.S. Games deck copyright 1984. The original was published in 1929, titled Revised New Art Tarot. The title cards says, “Designed by J. Augustus Knapp and Manly P. Hall.” There’s another card with a short history of the deck, along with a booklet. A facsimile version is available from The Philosophical Research Society, the organization that propagates Hall’s work. The majors are featured in a color illustration in The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Hall, 1928, with the arrangement of 6 rows of 1+2+3+4+5+6=21 overlaid on a giant Fool card. 

 

The deck is about poker-sized. All the cards have simple sigils in addition to the main illustrations. Le Monde is numbered both 21 and 22. 

 

Courts are king, queen, warrior, and servant. 

 

Pip cards show pips arranged in shapes. Scepters have little playing card clubs on their tops. Cups are red and are fiery on the king, queen, and ace. Swords are light blue and look pretty airy.  2 Swords has a reversed playing card spade. Coins are yellow gold coins with a variety of engraved faces, women and men.

 

The booklet has 5 spreads, so lots to try out this week.

 

I haven’t read with a tarot for a while now (it looks like 6 weeks!), so on to the interview! (I'm still not able to post photos, sorry!)

 

What is your most important characteristic?  7 Coins (Venus symbol on a cube)

The deck is an enjoyable physical artifact.

 

What is your strength?  A Swords (winged Mercury-kind-of symbol plus a man in the moon background illustration)

The deck is very erudite and brings new ideas to tarot study.

 

Your weakness?  8 Cups (butterfly wings in a mandorla over a triangle and a small pentacle around one cup)

It emphasizes intellect over emotions.

 

What can you teach me?  Le Feu du Ciel (Tower) (shield with illustration of hand grasping lightning bolts)

The deck can teach me about catastrophes and sudden enlightenment?!

 

How can I learn it?  q Cups (rose in a mandorla)

Queen index looks like a lowercase q. Queen holds out a flaming cup and has a cross-topped scepter.

I can learn about sudden catastrophe by being open to emotional passion.  ???

 

What will be the outcome of our work together?  S Scepters (cube in a triangle with explosive lines around the triangle)

I’m assume S means servant.  Person is planting a bare branch with his scepter laying on the ground beside it.

I will realize I have a lot to learn about how to actually do something with this deck.

 

Well, that was interesting!  We’ll see how it goes.

 

  • Author

Welcome back @Rachelcat 😀

@Rachelcat I will join you in exploring the Knapp-Hall. I attach a scan of the cards you drew.

IMG_0268.jpeg

  • Author

Welcome back @BrightEye!

A Knapp-Hall study group this week, interesting 😀

Thank you for keeping us rolling, Fire cat! I'm in this week with the Buckland Romani Tarot paired with the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards.

wheel%20of%20fortune.jpgfire.jpg

I'd much rather 'know', but then again, not-knowing keeps all the possibilities open. 

―Ruth Ozeki

A contractor doing some work inside the house once asked me why I had a small collection of gemstone skulls. I told him that they reminded me of the principle of impermanence - good or bad, things only last for a limited time. The Wheel of Fortune indicates change is on the horizon; like the skulls, it is a symbol of constant transitions. Fire is both a consumer and creator. How does it create? Nutrient-rich ash that improves the soil. Fire opens some seeds so they can sprout It also opens the forest canopy, allowing more sunlight to reach the ground, allowing new plants to grow. We humans hate uncertainty, but we actually can't see far enough down the road to know all the possibilities that might come because of change. 

gemstone%20skulls.jpg



On 9/28/2026 at 2:39 PM, BrightEye said:

@Rachelcat I will join you in exploring the Knapp-Hall. I attach a scan of the cards you drew.

Thank you!! I need all the help I can get! (I hope I can get my attachments to work soon.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.