Tarot Fescrau

BlueToy

Toying with layouts. The original artworks are the ones with a white background. I did a quick survey and people seemed to like the negative version as well. The negative's a bit problematic in that some details don't show up (I tried doing a negative version of the Strength card, for example, and the lion ended up looking like some random squiggles on top of each other). I still do plan on offering both versions, so I'll have keep the negative version in my mind all the time while drawing the normal one. The original doodles are 10 years old. They'll have a redraw to suit the dimensions of the "tarot" size POD printers offer. I've finished the rough pencil sketches of the majors and pips this week. Having difficulty thinking up ones for the courts. :-/

The imagery is heavily influenced by the RWS and the RWS tradition (writing done on the RWS), with some personal thematic quirks I've incorporated.

I don't think this is a deck for crowdfunding, so I'll be offering it POD instead. The color scheme (or the lack thereof) works well with plain white tuckboxes with a plastic window at the front.

Also, about the deck's title - it might seem like just some random series of letters you puzzle out in a Scrabble game, but they're actually from "faest" and "scraulen" - Middle English roots of the words "fast" and "scrawl". :D I was aiming for a name that vaguely gave the impression of something Central-to-Eastern European, though I am not sure if I achieved that... (maybe some of you can confirm?)

-Ly

FESCRAU_2.jpg.bf0cdf4a69f8dc1aa5a3de8e51006158.jpg

FESCRAU_1.jpg.73e5d1c5fa9ede5a96f9b78891f153d3.jpg

Ok, I just had to log in from my stupid android so I can comment here! :)

1st congrats for making another amazing deck! :) it looks awesome to me!:) especialy that original sketch with white bg!:) my fav youtube reviewer commented how much he would love to see more of black n white tarots drawn old school paper n pen so he'll be superhappy to hear about this!:) also for black background negative edt I would try one of those rainbow colored lineart style you can see on da?:) just to make it more interesting for eye & stand out over other *negative art style decks?:) also name sound bit funny to me (not original English speaker here!^^lol) so let someone else judge on that, but I would go with something simple like wildest dreams tarot?:) especialy for night n day edt?:) looking forward to see it completed! :) btw have no doubt you can do ks/indie as well especially as it's multy edt!; )

Ok, I just had to log in from my stupid android so I can comment here! :)

1st congrats for making another amazing deck! :) it looks awesome to me!:) especialy that original sketch with white bg!:) my fav youtube reviewer commented how much he would love to see more of black n white tarots drawn old school paper n pen so he'll be superhappy to hear about this!:) also for black background negative edt I would try one of those rainbow colored lineart style you can see on da?:) just to make it more interesting for eye & stand out over other *negative art style decks?:) also name sound bit funny to me (not original English speaker here!^^lol) so let someone else judge on that, but I would go with something simple like wildest dreams tarot?:) especialy for night n day edt?:) looking forward to see it completed! :) btw have no doubt you can do ks/indie as well especially as it's multy edt!; )

Thanks! I am considering the rainbow effects thing you mentioned for the black version

I like the name Fescrau though I might maybe give it another sub header of sorts? We'll see. I do want to give crowdfunding another go but maybe for some future deck? I too am replying now via an android phone - and I so hate typing long stuff via qwerty haha

Nice! Is it going to be majors only, or a full deck?

Sounds like some odd East European city to me  :)

It's a full deck. I hope. One of the samples show the 4 of Coins. I've finished brainstorming and doing rough sketches for all the cards without sketches yet - except for the courts. My attempted sketches on them keep on heading towards an esoteric direction, which doesn't jive too much with the feel I want for the deck. I'll try brainstorming and sketching again this weekend. Actually, specifically, its the Pages/Princesses I am having trouble with...

-Ly

Thanks! I am considering the rainbow effects thing you mentioned for the black version

I like the name Fescrau though I might maybe give it another sub header of sorts? We'll see. I do want to give crowdfunding another go but maybe for some future deck? I too am replying now via an android phone - and I so hate typing long stuff via qwerty haha

-Ly

he he! glad to critic!XD it don't need to be *full rainbow imo something like colored lineart /i.e 3 color gradient would look interesting?XD auto correct s worst!XD ;D

p.s for courts maybe some close up portrait+spirit annimal?:) it would make it stand as those represent people in readings!:D

Like!!

Will both versions have the same backs, so you could use both decks as one (reversed meanings come with black cards)?

And will there be a version having front sides with white backgrounds and the same images as backs having black backgrounds? That would be cool.  8)

BTW to me "Frescrau" sounds a bit as if it was Romanian. But that's probably just because I don't speak any Romanian. And to stop any speculations in advance: No, German sounds different. Well, at least to myself  ;D . Anyway, for me enigmatic deck titles are always ok.

Like!!

Will both versions have the same backs, so you could use both decks as one (reversed meanings come with black cards)?

And will there be a version having front sides with white backgrounds and the same images as backs having black backgrounds? That would be cool.  8)

BTW to me "Frescrau" sounds a bit as if it was Romanian. But that's probably just because I don't speak any Romanian. And to stop any speculations in advance: No, German sounds different. Well, at least to myself  ;D . Anyway, for me enigmatic deck titles are always ok.

Hmmmm. Identical backs sounds intriguing. I'll give it a thought. Though I am still not sure if, for example, a white back will go well with a black front, and vice versa. I'll have to do some tests.

Romanian sounds intriguing! I wonder how similar/different it is from the other Romance languages (like Spanish, French, etc.) :D

-Ly

POD. GREAT. No customs charges - unless you go Gamecrafter :)

I'll be using the Hong Kong-based printers. :D Been using them for my last couple of works - their shipping rates are really quite affordable. Their box printing costs are quite expensive, though :-/ so it's either I just go with their plain white tuckboxes (I've been asking them if they could do plain boxes in other colors, like black, which would make a deck look less amateurish or "branded-less" than a white box would) or go crowdfunding. Thankfully, in the case of this deck, the style works with a plain white window tuckbox (though a black one would have been so much better for the negative deck).

nice loose style. are you doing that on paper with pens? generating that noise with a script around more simple images? I am sorry I have to ask, soon as I saw it my mind started racing about all the ways to pull that off.

nice loose style. are you doing that on paper with pens? generating that noise with a script around more simple images? I am sorry I have to ask, soon as I saw it my mind started racing about all the ways to pull that off.

Hello! They are pen on paper. I might have to redraw the photonegative version using white pencils on black paper, though, since it's kinda hard to visualize it reversed.

Hello! They are pen on paper. I might have to redraw the photonegative version using white pencils on black paper, though, since it's kinda hard to visualize it reversed.

Are you picky about your pen and paper? Are you just scanning them in then and then using Photoshop? Do you take them to image ready for the typesetting?

The cards have such a cool alive look... I just keep juggling all the different ways to do this in my mind.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Are you picky about your pen and paper? Are you just scanning them in then and then using Photoshop? Do you take them to image ready for the typesetting?

The cards have such a cool alive look... I just keep juggling all the different ways to do this in my mind.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thanks! As for being picky - it depends on the project. For this project, I just want paper that doesn't blot (too much) since I'm using a pen which has a more fluid ink flow. I normally use UniPin technical pens (which I think are alcohol-based?) for my line illustrations since they tend to be more... inert and not blot, even on blotty surfaces, and the ink also dries relatively fast so I don't end up with smudgy hands, but they don't work very well with drawings scribbled really quickly. I'm using Pilot technical pens for this - they have a fluid ink flow and are good for signing documents, but the ink doesn't dry instantaneously so I have to be careful lest it smudges on the paper.

I was working on finishing this and another old project (Tarot Eventide) when life and work sort of got in the way. BUT I still do work on them. I'm stuck with the Queens and Kings with Eventide, and with Fescrau, I've done rough pencil sketches of most of the imagery's blocking - I keep on coming back to some which I am not too satisfied with. Funnily, this project started as a sort of impromptu sketch project - like, ink drawings directly on paper with no pencil sketches, but I'm not too confident with my skills at the moment.

-Ly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.