Guest Night Shade

Does anyone use Tarot cards for spell work?

Guest Night Shade

Hello everyone

Does anyone use Tarot cards for spells?  I usually use the Hanson-Roberts deck, since it was my first deck, and the deck I'm most comfortable and familiar with, but I'm wondering if there are any decks out there that have a little extra magickal energy.

I do- and for me, it is all about the art. I have to be able to pull strongly from the image in order to use it.

I use the Arto now (though OOP). Also ordered the Bonestone and Earthflesh for hopes to use that as well (though now sold out).

Interestingly- I have found the decks I use for reading are not necessarily ones that I use for other workings. They have their own special place and use.

Yes. Mainly for sympathetic magick-type spells. I believe you can use any deck that you feel have strong enough archetypal energies so that you can tie them into whatever it is you are trying to manifest. What I mean is that you need to be able to connect with every card and know their energies so that you know what situation they apply for. I like to use several cards to not only show what the aim/goal is, but how I intend the process to manifest itself. Sometimes I also chose a card to represent me and add that to the mix. I might also use things such as ribbons to tie cards together (for binding spells). But for ‘releasing’ or banishing spells I might add the death card and place that on top of what I want to banish. These are just some ideas but there is no end to what you can come up with. I believe that the more creative and original/personal you make your spells, the more powerful they will become.

Interestingly- I have found the decks I use for reading are not necessarily ones that I use for other workings. They have their own special place and use.

I am the same and once I’ve decided to use a deck for spells/rituals I will never use it for readings. I keep those things separate. But I don’t need a big selection of decks for spells, one or two will do. I want a bigger selection of reading decks though.

Guest Night Shade

Thank you for the advice, Penthasilia and Raggydoll! :)

Yes.

After I read (some years ago now) "Portable Magic - Tarot is the only tool you need" by Donald Tyson, I found there was not end to the use of Tarot for spells I had in mind.

My spell decks are separate from my reading decks (I may use the same deck for reading - but it will be a different copy of it).

And - I've even found downloadable PDFs of Rider-Waite-Smith style drawings (Etsy - I think it was) that I print out and colour in - the drawing and colouring as part of the magickal process of putting intent into the working.

I can't suggest decks that have extra magickal energy - that is subjective in my opinion - and may change over time depending on the growth and change of the individual.

I use Tarot of the Cat People, Barbara G Walker, Modern Spellcaster's Tarot, The Tarot of the Night, and Steve Hounsome's Therapy Tarot is full of nature photos which I find useful for element representation.

I know next to nothing about Tarot magic, yet I confess I have tried a couple spells. Like Night Shade, I used the deck I have the oldest and strongest connection with (in my case, Kat Black's Golden). Like Tanga, I used a separate copy that I won't use for reading. I planned the spells as spreads, only I put in each position the card signifying exactly what I wanted there.

I keep those cards together in a special place, though I have a feeling they don't need to be, as the spells are completed and that energy is now out in the universe. Both seemed to have worked, amazingly enough...

I keep those cards together in a special place, though I have a feeling they don't need to be, as the spells are completed and that energy is now out in the universe. Both seemed to have worked, amazingly enough...

I personally think that once a spell has taken effect its time to do a clean up /releasing. I feel that you develop an energetic bond to every working that you do, and if you don't dissolve that bond properly and timely than they will keep claiming some of your energy. And if you have a whole bunch of old workings laying around then that could potentially be a bit energy-sucking (nothing dangerous though, just like mental and physical clutter. I'm sure you get what I mean). I wouldn't worry about jeopardizing your spell by dissolving its components, to me that process simply adds even more oomph to it and revives the practitioner at the same time. But that is just a personal preference and there are surely many other ways of viewing these things. So go with what resonates and perhaps try out different approaches to see which feels best for you  :heartz:

I personally think that once a spell has taken effect its time to do a clean up /releasing. I feel that you develop an energetic bond to every working that you do, and if you don't dissolve that bond properly and timely than they will keep claiming some of your energy. And if you have a whole bunch of old workings laying around then that could potentially be a bit energy-sucking (nothing dangerous though, just like mental and physical clutter. I'm sure you get what I mean). I wouldn't worry about jeopardizing your spell by dissolving its components, to me that process simply adds even more oomph to it and revives the practitioner at the same time. But that is just a personal preference and there are surely many other ways of viewing these things. So go with what resonates and perhaps try out different approaches to see which feels best for you  :heartz:

This is wonderful advice, thank you, Raggydoll! It does resonate with what I feel, but like I said I did this quite by impulse (my modus operandi, so to say), without knowing very well what I was doing (also my modus operandi).

I felt them work, if that makes sense, and they seem to have (one was a protection spell for a person who was in danger of unfairly losing his job), and I feel that I can now put those cards away, but I was afraid. And they have been nagging at the back of my mind ever since, just as you say they would! I will do a releasing ASAP.  :heartz: <3

This is wonderful advice, thank you, Raggydoll! It does resonate with what I feel, but like I said I did this quite by impulse (my modus operandi, so to say), without knowing very well what I was doing (also my modus operandi).

I felt them work, if that makes sense, and they seem to have (one was a protection spell for a person who was in danger of unfairly losing his job), and I feel that I can now put those cards away, but I was afraid. And they have been nagging at the back of my mind ever since, just as you say they would! I will do a releasing ASAP.  :heartz: <3

I can so relate with your modus operandi. I’m very much like that myself when it comes to magic. I think it’s because how it all started for me. I was a teenager and there really was no books available that could teach me the things that I was interested in (and Internet was in its very cradle back then), so I made things up as I went along. Now that there are many more resources available on witchcraft I’m quite relieved to have the foundation and the courage to be a free thinker. It would be so overwhelming to try and sift my way through all that. I let other people inspire me but not dictate me. My practice is shaped out of my personal preferences, abilities and unique circumstances. Sometimes I feel that I’m a bit complacent with all my quick spells and minimalistic rituals but it is what it is. Maybe I will be drawn to do things differently in the future. Or maybe not. The only relevant point is that it’s working for me right now (and it is  ;))

Guest Night Shade

I was really glad to see this thread revived - there's so much great information here!

Like Tanga[/member] and FLizarraga[/member] , I use a separate deck for spellwork - a well-worn copy of the mini Hanson-Roberts deck.  I leave the cards out overnight, along with any crystals that I used, then put them away in the morning and try to forget about them so the magick can do its work without any mental interference from me.

Raggydoll[/member] I love the idea of using cards to represent how the process should manifest, because sometimes my spells don't work out quite the way I meant them to!

Saturn Celeste[/member] - please stop enabling me with all these awesome decks!

I like to use several cards to not only show what the aim/goal is, but how I intend the process to manifest itself.

THIS. That's exactly how I've done it. Either as a progression or as a sum of factors, depending, but both leading to the chosen outcome.

Lots of wonderful ideas here! I completely agree with you in that, Night Shade. :heartz: