Spirit Keeper's Tarot

RavenOfSummer

Yes, I'm planning to get this one, and pre-orders to the general public begin Oct. 31. (ETA - She's opened pre-orders -- for a limited time -- earlier than originally planned on her blog) Symbol heavy and an attempt to reconcile RWS and Thoth and her specific purpose for the deck's use. She's kindly made every card available to view so we can make an informed decision.

There's also this thread about this deck.  :)

Saturn Celeste

I don't believe I've seen a thread about this deck...I just came across the forthcoming Spirit Keeper's Tarot by Benebell Wen. The cards look symbol-rich and quite unique. https://benebellwen.com/spirit-keepers-tarot/

That's an interesting deck!  It struck me as a BW lite version of The Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery.  Very lite! lol ;) 

Yes, I'm planning to get this one, and pre-orders to the general public begin Oct. 31. Very symbol heavy and an attempt to reconcile RWS and Thoth and her specific purpose for the deck's use. She's kindly made every card available to view so we can make an informed decision.

Ahh, thank you RL! I think I missed it because I only searched for the deck title. Great to know about the pre-orders!

I don't believe I've seen a thread about this deck...I just came across the forthcoming Spirit Keeper's Tarot by Benebell Wen. The cards look symbol-rich and quite unique. https://benebellwen.com/spirit-keepers-tarot/

That's an interesting deck!  It struck me as a BW lite version of The Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery.  Very lite! lol ;) 

Interesting! That's another deck I've been intrigued by.

Yes, I'm planning to get this one, and pre-orders to the general public begin Oct. 31. Very symbol heavy and an attempt to reconcile RWS and Thoth and her specific purpose for the deck's use. She's kindly made every card available to view so we can make an informed decision.

Ahh, thank you RL! I think I missed it because I only searched for the deck title. Great to know about the pre-orders!

Yeah, I'm not clear on whether it even had a title yet then, but this thread will be easy for doing a search.  :) Decks are expected to be delivered around the solstice on the 21st of December. Pricing and details are in this post.

So for those who have pre-ordered, have you gotten any sort of confirmation email? I decided to pre-order but I'm kind of wondering if I was too late, since I know she was already low on stock two days ago. I got the standard Paypal email confirming my payment went through, but nothing directly from Benebell or James.

So for those who have pre-ordered, have you gotten any sort of confirmation email? I decided to pre-order but I'm kind of wondering if I was too late, since I know she was already low on stock two days ago. I got the standard Paypal email confirming my payment went through, but nothing directly from Benebell or James.

I think you’ll be okay. She has around 200left and my email took a day to come through.

RavenOfSummer[/member] my confirmation email also arrived the day after I ordered, so I think you're fine too.

AJ-ish[/member] your post pointed me to the deck and allowed me to follow her progress, so thanks again for that.  ;D  (I agree that she must never sleep. She talks about how she likes to always be multi-tasking, and I'm exhausted just thinking about it.)

I think you’ll be okay. She has around 200left and my email took a day to come through.

Thank you Essjay! That makes me feel better [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of this morning, 85 decks remained of the entire print run of 1,000 (if I understand correctly), so just a heads up that the pre-order now is looking like the only way to get this deck. Unless/until they do a second print run.

(If I'm wrong, please correct me! Its possible the 85 she mentioned were out of a batch set aside just for pre-orders, and I missed that info, but I think she meant only 85 left out of all available decks.)

Update from her blog today...

"Second print run of the deck as you’ve been seeing it? No 

A second edition? Yes, but not until 2019 is well under way. That’s because the second edition will undergo a redesign and be cast with a different energetic imprint. "

And in the video, "The second edition would have to have its own unique, nuanced point of view from the first edition... harmonious and complementary, yet distinctly different from the first."

I used it the last two weeks and really enjoyed it.

It is in many ways above my pay grade because Benebell Wen believes in everything and I believe in nothing. So it really makes me think about where I stand.  I do admire her because she is really sincere and I look forward to her next deck.

because we approach life differently I would really love to have the companion book, but the little book included with the deck gives all the bones needed to work out a valid response in a reading. I probably wouldn't use it for reading in public, because I do like to read her take. Not what a querent wants to see.

The courts are renamed, the knights are Shining somethings and the kings are Archangel somethings

Many of the cards are renamed also.

How any deck works for anyone else is a crap shoot, not many of us do the same things in the same ways :)

I'm enjoying it. Much of the art leans heavily RWS, I think (though the Thoth influence is obvious in places), which makes it the only RWS style deck I have that includes the Golden Dawn astrology and letters (in an older script) on the cards. For that alone I would thank her. If I include any of the astrology for a sitter other than myself, it's easy for them to see why.

I'm surprised that I especially like SKT's courts, which are the most original aspect. It's probably because I already have excellent decks like Tabula Mundi, Thoth, RWS etc. for a more traditional take. SKT offers something different. Queens as Shields especially. I normally associate Queens with connection, but the Shield initially seems like the opposite, a wall between the sitter and something else.It makes sense for a deck of evocation and invocation though; the Queen is connecting as a protector of the sitter instead of the Queen representing the sitter or someone in their life. -- Shortly after I got SKT I did a reading for an event I was anxious about, and I pulled one of those shields, and found it comforting at the time. It was paired with a more outgoing card like the 7 of Wands, which worked well.

There are things in the book with which I don't agree and other places that have been enlightening, but either way, I found it helpful to understand what she wanted to express. She just sent a new pdf on the courts, and she has the free video series. I hadn't known much about her before this deck, but she seems generous with her time and effort. And I admire that she says what she believes even as she acknowledges that her ideas aren't  mainstream and may have her catching some flack. She also doesn't ask that I agree with her. She just  lays it out in detail for consideration. (And now I find myself following her suggestion of a significator shuffled in for this deck so I can read the cards behind it. And I pull an additional card as a message if I get one of SKT's Pages.)

The detailed consideration doesn't end with the book and high production values. There are repeated symbols in a thoughtful way. Her use of astrology's south node on the Devil (Demon) and north node on Force (Strength) are great matches. Ropes from the Wheel appear on a few other cards, etc... But I mentioned that already in the unboxing thread.

(I'm guessing most people have seen, but there are pics on her instagram of the 2nd ed. in sepia with several re-drawn cards. She also has a mailing list for it in one  of those posts.)

AJ-ish/Sharyn[/member], it’s good to hear that you’ve enjoyed using it despite a different outlook to Benebell. It did strike me as a deck which could be read quite intuitively if you wanted to.

Rose Lalonde[/member], I love what she has done with the courts too. The information she gave in the pdf was so interesting. It’s definitely a deck which she has put heart and soul into and I really admire her for that. I will devote some time to it from Feb onwards.