Unboxings and First Impressions

Raggydoll

This thread is intended to complement ‘What’s the Postman bringing?’. Here is the place where you can talk about your latest purchases and share your initial thoughts on them. (And don’t worry if you’ve already ripped open the packaging - this is for unboxings and/or first impressions. And while pictures are greatly appreciated they are certainly not mandatory!)

So have some fun and share the excitement with the rest of us  <3

I’m glad you like my idea! I have not been purchasing many decks these last months but I did get an OOP one that has been in my wishlist for some time. I’ll share pictures once the sun makes an appearance (it’s early morning in my part of the world!). Also, I have made quite a few really exciting pre-orders that I definitely will share with you as soon as I receive them  ^-^

As promised, here is my latest addition to my collection! It is a vintage/pre-loved copy of the Roots of Asia (English edition). I have had this deck on my wishlist for over a year but since I wasn’t prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money for it I had kind of put it out of mind. Then suddenly it just showed up at an auction site, for next to nothing. I took a chance and bid on it. I ended up paying a little less than the equivalent of 2 dollars. So I consider that a really nice bargain!

I am very impressed by the artwork and quite moved by the energetic presence that this deck has. I wasn’t sure if the Buddhism theme would resonate with me, but I have chosen to view it as an universal spiritual philosophy. And that works. I really like how the guidebook is so much more than your typical LWB. It goes deep, despite having not that many pages.

I do feel that this is a deck that requires time and space. So I am not ready to take it on quite yet. I will let it marinate on my shelf and feel when it’s time to take it out!

61C7D649-6D4C-4D80-82E6-E5B04971E086.jpg.f606be43ff70272685457d4a4f0ce0bc.jpg

That is a lovely deck to read with - good catch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope so. If not, then I’ll probably use it in rituals and as a part of my non-divinatory spiritual practice  :)

I like this! Unfortunately, I have nothing in the pipeline for a while but look forward to seeing other people’s. [emoji3]

Same!  The one deck that I'm waiting for just got a huuuuge postponement :/  I'm gonna live vicariously though people with their new decks ^_^

ETA: Raggydoll[/member] so you just put that deck on my wishlist!  It's beautiful!

Same!  The one deck that I'm waiting for just got a huuuuge postponement :/  I'm gonna live vicariously though people with their new decks ^_^

Was it the Blood Moon Tarot? Because, if so, same.

I like this! Unfortunately, I have nothing in the pipeline for a while but look forward to seeing other people’s. [emoji3]

ETA: Raggydoll[/member] so you just put that deck on my wishlist!  It's beautiful!

What is so unique about this deck (in my opinion) is that all the majors are seen as from an internal perspective (like an inner version of the fools journey, but with a Buddhist philosophical spin on it). So, for instance, the Tower is depicted as coming down inside the persons chest. Very powerful. All the typical 'scary' cards get a completely new and unique energy to them.

Was it the Blood Moon Tarot? Because, if so, same.

You know it!

What is so unique about this deck (in my opinion) is that all the majors are seen as from an internal perspective (like an inner version of the fools journey, but with a Buddhist philosophical spin on it). So, for instance, the Tower is depicted as coming down inside the persons chest. Very powerful. All the typical 'scary' cards get a completely new and unique energy to them.

Ohhhhh I didn't even notice that.  Man.  That hits just. SO HARD for me, because seriously?  That is the WAY I read the The Tower.  Like, it's one of my most favorite cards because of that internal tower destruction that I feel.

Ok so I needneedNEED that deck apparently!

Ohhhhh I didn't even notice that.  Man.  That hits just. SO HARD for me, because seriously?  That is the WAY I read the The Tower.  Like, it's one of my most favorite cards because of that internal tower destruction that I feel.

Ok so I needneedNEED that deck apparently!

I bet you would have really enjoyed reading that guidebook as well. Even if you don't have access to the deck (yet), that booklet just adds so much to the whole concept of Tarot (in my opinion) 

Yikes on the EBAY prices, though. Sigh. I will have to put it on "look for a bargain/deal" list. Thanks for putting it on the radar, though.

Yikes on the EBAY prices, though. Sigh. I will have to put it on "look for a bargain/deal" list. Thanks for putting it on the radar, though.

I know, and I am really sorry about that  :-[ If anyone wants a peek at the guidebook I'll be happy to oblige (to compensate you for dangling this holy grail in front of you)

I know, and I am really sorry about that  :-[ If anyone wants a peek at the guidebook I'll be happy to oblige (to compensate you for dangling this holy grail in front of you)

Well since you offered!  Tower plz?

Well since you offered!  Tower plz?

Here we go. Hopefully it is visible enough

69EAF9C8-51A4-429D-9DF4-DF55BACB2F7A.jpg.a56c2cc2974a010119560c5eaa4d7125.jpg

Unboxing...hmmm...

The Venetian Tarot arrived in yesterday's mail.  I seem to be unboxing-challenged.  First I took scissors out of the drawer to cut the tape holding the package closed and put the scissors back in the drawer.  Then I took the scissors out again to cut the tape binding the bubble wrap, and put them back in the drawer.  Then I took the scissors out again to cut the shrink wrap from the box, and put them back in the drawer.  Then I didn't need the scissors anymore.

Sadly, this is not the first time I have forgotten how unboxing works.

And first impressions - terrific!  Sturdy attractive box, adorable tiny bound book, bright gilded-edged cards which are very thin but not at all flimsy with a just slippery enough yet just enough friction feel and perfect size. 

I haven't even perused the cards themselves yet, but the ones I've looked at so far are beautiful.  Hopefully they will be readable and meditatable as well, but as art they already have my thumbs up.

Unboxing...hmmm...

The Venetian Tarot arrived in yesterday's mail.  I seem to be unboxing-challenged.  First I took scissors out of the drawer to cut the tape holding the package closed and put the scissors back in the drawer.  Then I took the scissors out again to cut the tape binding the bubble wrap, and put them back in the drawer.  Then I took the scissors out again to cut the shrink wrap from the box, and put them back in the drawer.  Then I didn't need the scissors anymore.

Sadly, this is not the first time I have forgotten how unboxing works.

And first impressions - terrific!  Sturdy attractive box, adorable tiny bound book, bright gilded-edged cards which are very thin but not at all flimsy with a just slippery enough yet just enough friction feel and perfect size. 

I haven't even perused the cards themselves yet, but the ones I've looked at so far are beautiful.  Hopefully they will be readable and meditatable as well, but as art they already have my thumbs up.

Sounds promising! I hope this turn out to be a readable deck for you. I can also relate to the struggle with unboxings. I kind of always seem to forget that I need a scissor to open the thicker plastic that’s around the actual box of the cards. And I try to make it work without a scissor (just my hands and/or my teeth) because I’m too stubborn to want to get up and fetch that scissor :o

I was gonna do a ‘first impressions’ of my latest purchase- The Fairies Oracle by Brian Froud. But that did not go as planned  :-\ I wrote about it here: https://www.thetarotforum.com/tarot-decks/cardstock-issues-on-frouds-fairies-oracle!/msg56523/?topicseen#new But I do have a couple of exciting indie decks that should be arriving soon, so I can redeem myself and do a proper unboxing/first impressions then ;)

My package from Little Red Tarot just arrived! But I’m gonna wait until my kids are asleep until I start unboxing, so you guys will have to wait too  ;) X/

15C205B3-B390-440A-97FE-F94BC7518D53.jpg.1634337db845212137cd4e6f1bfc53d5.jpg

It’s the Many Moons Lunar Planner. Plus two exciting indie decks..

One of them has silvery edges and a lovely patterned box..

1B7F9642-4D2E-42F4-8382-523E63D897FD.jpg.24bfb2e3d7111eee480b09bd731f6092.jpg