Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies!

GreatDane

Which decks do you see as the opposite of sweetness and light decks? Just your night vs your day decks.

For me, just the Bohemian Gothic.  Don't see as scary dark, just the opposite of sugar sweet.

Mmm... cookies.

The Dragon Age Inquisition Tarot, which has surprisingly dark minors. (But 20 of its less violent cards are framed on my wall, so I don't read with it.)

(In keeping with the gaming theme but switching to self-collected oracles, at Halloween I read here with the monsters faction Gwent deck from Witcher III.)

OHHH  Grandma, I LIKE the bonfire in a midnight cave! :thumbsup:

I see I posted right when you did Rose Lalonde! Sorry about that, I missed your post.  thanks for attaching a link!

I have some decks that others might consider dark that I think more of as ‘complex and powerful’ - like Tarot of the Crone. And just like that I also have some decks that I consider to be on the darker and sharper side but that others may think something quite different of - like the Stella Tarot. I have the bohemian gothic as well, but I haven’t decided where I want to place it on that particular scale just yet.

EXACTLY, Raggydoll!  "Dark" to me doesn't mean evil or spooky, just kind of the opposite of a really cute, fluffy deck (and I AM NOT disparaging lighter decks that are full of whimsy).  Like a Yin Yang thing.

Guest Night Shade

For me the Royo Dark, Ludy Lescot, and Dark Angels decks are my favorites on the dark side.  I'm not all "sweetness and light" myself, so i resonate more with these decks.

I am familiar with all three of those decks, and see why you classify them as dark as opposed to sugary  :)

You are a cool collector of decks!

MysticMoonlight

Ludy Lescot Tarot

Tarot of Vampyres by Ian Daniels

The Bohemian Gothic Tarot

Deviant Moon Tarot

Froud's Faeries' Oracle

Fallen Angel Oracle

The Halloween Oracle

Oracle of Shadows and Light

I wasn't sure if oracle cards were being considered but I added them as well.

Mmm... cookies.

The Dragon Age Inquisition Tarot, which has surprisingly dark minors. (But 20 of its less violent cards are framed on my wall, so I don't read with it.)

Thank you for this post. I now have a copy :)

I think the AT list pretty much covers it.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dark-gothic.shtml

Dark is rather my thing. But Place's Vampires are not dark at all. The Giger is probably the darkest I own. I love reading with the Savage, myself.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/savage/

You have to be 18 ;)

l have Tarot of The 111 Millennium which can be a bit uncomfortable, mainly because it leaves ME in the dark.  There are so may layers to this deck, and it uses quite a few different esoteric, mathematical meanings etc.

Good heavens its going for over £600 on Amazon!! 

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-iii-millennium/

Which decks do you see as the opposite of sweetness and light decks? Just your night vs your day decks.

For me, just the Bohemian Gothic.  Don't see as scary dark, just the opposite of sugar sweet.

I have just received the Bohemian Gothic in the post and see Baba say that they will be coming to the end of stock for the standard edition soon.  Looking online before buying, I thought it looked very dark and wondered if I would feel a connection.  Unwrapping and going through the cards and doing a deck interview, I absolutely love it. It feels a tiny bit tongue in cheek in its darkness and I am surprised just how much I like it.  I am really tempted to buy a second, back up deck.  As the dark sister to the Victorian Romantic tarot, which I also have it just feels right somehow.  It is dark, but not in a harrowing way at all.

Saturn Celeste

Oh fun question!  I have a deliberately dark oracle deck, The Daemon Tarot (it's really an oracle deck)

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/daemon/

It is a deck of warnings and cautions.  It's really quite cool but it is dark for sure.  The other one is the H.R. Giger deck (Baphomet).

As much as I adore Giger, I have found that his work on a tarot card doesn't cut it for me.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/giger-baphomet/

It's just art pictures stuck on the cards and it makes no sense at all.  The images are SO distracting I can't work with it.  I don't even store it with  my other decks, it's all alone in a cabinet in my bedroom, the opposite end of the house from where my tarot decks are kept.

And the Tarot of Vampyres is on the dark side but i love the artwork!!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vampyres/

Thanks for all the mentions!  I love when people list new decks (well, to  me new, one's I haven't seen or came out in the last year or so). 

Thanks for adding that, Gregory.  Great compilation of decks people added when in AT and that with any new ones that have come out since that TT and Me people like should cover it. 

Mmm... cookies.

Thank you for this post. I now have a copy :)

Holy wow, I would never have guessed that -- for a little while there -- my fangirl affection for 'Dragon Age' led me to actually have a deck that wasn't in your amazing collection.  :eek:  In any event, happy to have shared the title.  :)

--

I'm enjoying the rest of this thread too... I was thinking Dark with a capital D when I posted, but there are a lot of decks mentioned here I like that are more serious decks, like Crone Tarot.

So true, Rose Lalonde!  "Dark" can have various meanings and nuances!  Just like "Sweet or light" decks! X/

I LOVE reading about decks others have as the only one I consider at all (NOT scary, but not exactly light) is the Bohemian Gothic. 

I am having fun checking out all the dark ones listed here!   

Saturn Celeste

Rose Lalonde[/member], it's funny, I never liked Inquisition.  I played the crap out of Origins and the 2nd one but not the 3rd one.  And please don't hate me, I didn't get into the Witcher games!  I know it's a crime for gamers to not love the game but I never played it, never wanted to.

GreatDane[/member] yes, nuances, as you said.  :)

Rose Lalonde[/member]...And please don't hate me, I didn't get into the Witcher games!  I know it's a crime for gamers to not love the game but I never played it, never wanted to.

I never finished, so if it's a crime, I'm in jail with you! My favorite part was the card game within it.

I have a tarot/oracle hybrid deck that I would consider to be of a darker persuasion. Its the Black Mirror Oracle :) it's a majors deck with the addition of Aces, planets and moon phases, and the artwork is gorgeous :D generally I don't find the art itself dark but the deck is intense! It has a habit of going right to the heart of a situation via the shadow. Not the easiest to deal with but I love it all the same :D

Here's some pretty pictures to ogle at...

6931e1da34d61765e8838e96404faba6.jpg05396a13e41f60c10290660c14aaaca9.jpg

pacificwaters

Most of the decks in my small collection are the dark ones. But the ones that are darker could be Ludy Lescot and The Vampire Tarot by Robert Place (it has a strange eeriness to it). I love both of these as such. Ludy Lescot is almost always literal in my case. Whereas the Vampire Tarot is surprisingly accurate with a twist!!

I found the Tarot of Vampyres not very dark. Whereas the Deviant Moon is definitely lighter.

Bohemian Gothic... well its a must have for dark deck lovers. Thats what I heard. And so I just bought it recently. Its just a reading or two old. So I wouldn't comment about its degree of darkness (if that's the correct terminology :biggrin:)