Whisper

What about male-centric tarot or oracle decks?

I looked up male-centric.

the practice, conscious or otherwise, of placing a masculine point of view at the center of one's world view, culture, and history, thereby culturally marginalizing femininity.

that's what I thought. The Oculi looks pretty RWS in scope, and we live n a male-centric world,  can you share what you are seeing or looking for specifically? Thanks

I looked up male-centric.

the practice, conscious or otherwise, of placing a masculine point of view at the center of one's world view, culture, and history, thereby culturally marginalizing femininity.

that's what I thought. The Oculi looks pretty RWS in scope, and we live n a male-centric world,  can you share what you are seeing or looking for specifically? Thanks

I think that the definition you provide accurately describes what I, too, mean by male-centric: the masculine point of view; perhaps concerned with the male experience.

I have dozens of decks, but most of them have images of that I more easily relate to the female experience. It would be interesting to see a few more decks with images and symbols that embrace the male experience.

The decks you have all mentioned definitely fit this particular bill.

Let me ask the question differently, and this I wish to address specifically to the male members of our TT&M family, although I would love everyone to chime in. Before I do that, though, I want to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to open up a debate about male / female, gender identification, etc. It just seems to me that most oracle and tarot decks have a more feminine vibe to them and I was wondering:

Do you who are male or identify as male feel that you and your realities are duly represented in the present offerings? Do you feel that there are other images and symbols (art) that you would be able to/like to relate to more easily or see represented in oracle and tarot cards?

I'm not even sure if this is important or relevant in any way. There's no doubt in my mind that the majority of cards and their interpretations are "genderless", but I'm just wondering whether a "male" person seeking a reading would not welcome a choice of decks like the Oculi Occultati with art that (for me, at least) feels male-centric.

This is purely research on my part, so I really, really hope no one  is offended by my broaching this subject. I find this interesting, since, here, we have no idea what anyone looks like (which is great) and really go by "capturing" people's energies.

I hope you will chime in. [emoji4]

I think this is all very odd. When I think of the number of people who complain that decks AREN'T female enough, and the create ultra female ones - some so female that I - female myself - find them repulsive.

Hi Whisper[/member] !

I've never really noticed an issue, to be honest... but then, I've not been tempted by angel decks or rainbow unicorn themes... not resorting to stereotypes, of course!  :biggrin:

The way I see it, Tarot is inclusive. It encompasses the whole of human experience and the whole of our personalities; each of us lives through the meaning of every card at some point. Some aspects of our lives are more traditionally feminine and some what is seen as masculine, but they're all aspects of the individual. A deck in which all the characters are male would be just as weird and incomplete as one in which all were female. So long as the deck as a whole is balanced, I don't notice a problem... but I imagine that a substantial bias in either direction would interfere with the completeness of the reading.

Actually - I don't think so. I have often read with the Gay Tarot with no trouble at all (there is ONE woman in there somewhere, as I recall.)

I've been thinking... .

Other than the Oculi Occultati Tarot, the majors of which I find very interesting, but not the minors, I cannot think of any other male-centric tarot or oracle decks.

Suggestions anyone?

Much appreciated.

Oh that looks like a 'Whisper' deck!  I prefer male decks but there just aren't that many in my price range to choose from.

I bought the Afro-Brazilian deck because of the male influence.  The deck is closer to a Marseille deck though but I am going to start reading Marseille decks again.  Never hurts to brush up on knowing the meaning of the cards.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/afro-brazilian/

Buckland Romani

This deck has some of the handsomest men in tarot!  They look very real to me.  I love this deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/buckland-romani/

LeGrande Sideshow Circus

I often use this deck for male clients.  It has a suit of roustabouts and has a large proportion of males to females in this deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/legrande-circus-sideshow-tarot/

Modern Spellcaster's deck

This deck has different gender roles but it really had some wonderful male cards.  I bought the deck for the knight cards.  Just can't beat them!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/modern-spellcasters-tarot/

Vikings Tarot

This deck has many men in it.  It reads pretty good.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vikings/

The Son Tarot

I don't have this deck but I've thought about getting it.  The creator is the one who made the Healing Light Tarot which I LOVE!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/son/

Tarot Apokalypsis

This is a cool deck with masculine guys.  I love the theme of the deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-apokalypsis/

Sol Invictus: The God Tarot

I don't have this deck but I've known about it.  It's too expensive for me.  :'(

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/god/

Tarot D

My son wants this deck.  I find it a little confusing but it's listed as a masculine deck.  I would like to get it before the price goes up more!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-d-didactic/

Actually - I don't think so. I have often read with the Gay Tarot with no trouble at all (there is ONE woman in there somewhere, as I recall.)

Interesting! I think I'd find it odd if I was using it regularly, or if any cards with more 'feminine' traditional meanings turned up and jarred with me, but maybe I'm pre-judging unfairly. Will probably find out one day, unless I don't.  :)

Interesting! I think I'd find it odd if I was using it regularly, or if any cards with more 'feminine' traditional meanings turned up and jarred with me, but maybe I'm pre-judging unfairly. Will probably find out one day, unless I don't.  :)

The Gay tarot really does read well.  I use it a lot.  Something I love is the Queens of the court cards are beautiful winged men called Guides.  Here is The Hermit card:

?action=dlattach;attach=900;image

For me the Moon is the best card in the deck!

I love this card! Must go check out the deck. Thank you.  <3

The Gay tarot really does read well.  I use it a lot.  Something I love is the Queens of the court cards are beautiful winged men called Guides.  Here is The Hermit card:

I think this is all very odd. When I think of the number of people who complain that decks AREN'T female enough, and the create ultra female ones - some so female that I - female myself - find them repulsive.

That's interesting because when I think about my oracle decks, except The Way of the Horse and the Whispers of Lord Ganesha, I find them decidedly female. Even tarot decks like the Journey into Egypt or the Sacred India, the Green Witch Tarot, Tarot of the Hidden Relm or the Mary-El that are peopled with male characters feel more female to me. I wonder if it could be because I'm female myself? Hmmm...

Hi Whisper[/member] !

I've never really noticed an issue, to be honest... but then, I've not been tempted by angel decks or rainbow unicorn themes... not resorting to stereotypes, of course!  :biggrin:

The way I see it, Tarot is inclusive. It encompasses the whole of human experience and the whole of our personalities; each of us lives through the meaning of every card at some point. Some aspects of our lives are more traditionally feminine and some what is seen as masculine, but they're all aspects of the individual. A deck in which all the characters are male would be just as weird and incomplete as one in which all were female. So long as the deck as a whole is balanced, I don't notice a problem... but I imagine that a substantial bias in either direction would interfere with the completeness of the reading.

Hi Wanderer [emoji4]!

I definitely agree that Tarot is inclusive and that it encompasses the whole human experience as you say, especially when one considers that the majors are really archetypes for the human journey both physical and spiritual (self-discovery). It occurs to me because of what you mentioned that it does reflect the fact that our world is populated by male and female trying to get along together. There are problems aplenty, but we cannot solve them without each other. Like polarities that inexplicably need each other for balance. It's just that the artwork in many decks appears more feminine to me somehow. Like I said before, maybe it's because I'm female that most decks give me that impression which gives me even more food for thought.

Hey Saturn.  <3 Now, that is a really interesting way to depict the Hermit!

Oh that looks like a 'Whisper' deck!

Really like the majors, but just can't relate to the little men in the minors.

I prefer male decks

That's an interesting comment. May I ask why?

but there just aren't that many in my price range to choose from.

I bought the Afro-Brazilian deck because of the male influence.  The deck is closer to a Marseille deck though but I am going to start reading Marseille decks again.  Never hurts to brush up on knowing the meaning of the cards.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/afro-brazilian/

I can see how this is male-centric. The dark colours maybe or the contrast.

Buckland Romani

This deck has some of the handsomest men in tarot!  They look very real to me.  I love this deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/buckland-romani/

You're right. I'd forgotten about this one. I have one of the first editions and it is populated by strong, handsome men, if one likes dark hair and dark eyes.

LeGrande Sideshow Circus

I often use this deck for male clients.  It has a suit of roustabouts and has a large proportion of males to females in this deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/legrande-circus-sideshow-tarot/

First encounter with this deck.

Modern Spellcaster's deck

This deck has different gender roles but it really had some wonderful male cards.  I bought the deck for the knight cards.  Just can't beat them!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/modern-spellcasters-tarot/

There's no denying that the Emperor card of this deck is most definitely a male card. although the images I'm seeing of this deck disconcert me in some way.

Vikings Tarot

This deck has many men in it.  It reads pretty good.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vikings/

Yes, just from the images I'm seeing, it really does feel like that.

The Son Tarot

I don't have this deck but I've thought about getting it.  The creator is the one who made the Healing Light Tarot which I LOVE!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/son/

Definitely fits.

Tarot Apokalypsis

This is a cool deck with masculine guys.  I love the theme of the deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-apokalypsis/

Oh! So reminds me of the Tarot Illuminati.

Sol Invictus: The God Tarot

I don't have this deck but I've known about it.  It's too expensive for me.  :'(

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/god/

Yes, the Divine Masculine. That's it! One hears so often about the Divine Feminine (even at TT&M), but not so much about the Divine Masculine.

Tarot D

My son wants this deck.  I find it a little confusing but it's listed as a masculine deck.  I would like to get it before the price goes up more!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-d-didactic/

What is it about this deck that your son connects with so deeply?

(Thank you for the new discoveries).  X/

There's the Sol Invictus Tarot. I don't know anything about it except that it exists. :)

Hey Bookworm.  (( Saturn mentioned this one, too. The Divine Masculine. Thank you for the suggestion.

The Gods and Titans Oracle looks very masculine although it only seems to have 36 cards and if it interested me I'd also be wondering whether the 38 card Goddesses and Sirens deck might be added to expand it.

Let me ask the question differently, and this I wish to address specifically to the male members of our TT&M family, although I would love everyone to chime in. Before I do that, though, I want to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to open up a debate about male / female, gender identification, etc. It just seems to me that most oracle and tarot decks have a more feminine vibe to them and I was wondering:

Do you who are male or identify as male feel that you and your realities are duly represented in the present offerings? Do you feel that there are other images and symbols (art) that you would be able to/like to relate to more easily or see represented in oracle and tarot cards?

I'm not even sure if this is important or relevant in any way. There's no doubt in my mind that the majority of cards and their interpretations are "genderless", but I'm just wondering whether a "male" person seeking a reading would not welcome a choice of decks like the Oculi Occultati with art that (for me, at least) feels male-centric.

This is purely research on my part, so I really, really hope no one  is offended by my broaching this subject. I find this interesting, since, here, we have no idea what anyone looks like (which is great) and really go by "capturing" people's energies.

This is my view as a male reader. Intuition and Divination is an area which uses the feminine inside all of us, they are feminine skills, like with the High Priestess. I do believe we have the ability in all of us but many men feel uncomfortable accessing that area of themselves. This is an area which is much more acceptable today than ever before but in any place with tarot reading and divination, you will find a huge majority of female and female identifying readers. The same thing has happened on T, T and Me as AT and every forum I ever go to. There is always at least a 2 to 1 female readers to male ratio, and then in that male ratio, the majority are gay or bisexual, the minority in this area is straight men. I am really interested in this because I see the pattern in any tarot/ divination community. I think it has to be down to accessing feminine intuition and being open minded / comfortable with yourself to do that! Of course the most masculine, butch man can access that area but perhaps many never feel attracted to even picking up a deck, maybe from societies messages?

I get people asking me for a reading all the time from a male prospective, they say they find it really hard to find male readers. We are a minority and I think because it attracts people who want to use this feminine side of themselves (that we all have the ability to access).

Feminine decks (I'm not talking pink and fluffy) perhaps attract better to our intuition skills, I am fine with using them, I don't feel I need expressly masculine decks apart from the gay tarot. The Gay Tarot really tried to represent gay men in non traditional stereotypes with different skin colours and people represented, it does it pretty well but the cards. I think most decks don't really have a gender in their theme, it's a pretty neutral area. But many do conform with gender expectations, woman and man fall in love, etc. Although this area has improved, the majority of decks are pretty traditional in their gender / sexuality outlook.

So I think divination is less of a malecentric area but there are men and they all find decks to use that they like, maybe it's not a problem? I read for a friend who I really tried to pick a masculine deck for and they wanted pink and fluffy and they were straight!  :biggrin: I should have been more open minded but for me there is an issue in this area about intuition skills / feminine area of ourselves  :)

Just to even this out a little, l know a lot of male tarot readers and healers who are most definitely all male, happily married, and this includes my hubby.  Though my hubby for years has always read with the Medicine Animal cards which as the title suggest has no men or women pictured. It has been a very good and accurate deck for him, it is more an Oracle, but he is now getting into tarot.

l also know some gay men who are readers, so l would say it just evens out as in all walks of life.

l think we have gone a little off topic here  :D

Have you thought of looking at the Thoth tarot l find that quite a masculine deck.  It can be very forthright, not a girly deck at all.  We are both female and like you l do not like overly floating, busty, nymphs in a deck.  l am using the Legacy of the Divine at the moment, it seems to be fairly balanced.

I feel like the Gay Tarot is simultaneously a positive view of queer male identity, and a really positive view of masculinity and family relationships in general, which makes it a really nice deck to read with no matter who you are.

I want to say that the Hirajeta deck contains lots of male characters and is drawn in a style (vivid horror/fantasy manga style, basically) that makes it seem appealing to masculine types.

The Slow Holler deck also has lots of male figures.

The Gods and Titans Oracle looks very masculine although it only seems to have 36 cards and if it interested me I'd also be wondering whether the 38 card Goddesses and Sirens deck might be added to expand it.

Good to see you, 2dogs! Yes, that is definitely a very male deck. I suppose adding those other cards would definitely balance male and female energies. Might make a very powerful oracle indeed.

This is my view as a male reader. Intuition and Divination is an area which uses the feminine inside all of us, they are feminine skills, like with the High Priestess. I do believe we have the ability in all of us but many men feel uncomfortable accessing that area of themselves. This is an area which is much more acceptable today than ever before but in any place with tarot reading and divination, you will find a huge majority of female and female identifying readers. The same thing has happened on T, T and Me as AT and every forum I ever go to. There is always at least a 2 to 1 female readers to male ratio, and then in that male ratio, the majority are gay or bisexual, the minority in this area is straight men. I am really interested in this because I see the pattern in any tarot/ divination community. I think it has to be down to accessing feminine intuition and being open minded / comfortable with yourself to do that! Of course the most masculine, butch man can access that area but perhaps many never feel attracted to even picking up a deck, maybe from societies messages?

I get people asking me for a reading all the time from a male prospective, they say they find it really hard to find male readers. We are a minority and I think because it attracts people who want to use this feminine side of themselves (that we all have the ability to access).

Feminine decks (I'm not talking pink and fluffy) perhaps attract better to our intuition skills, I am fine with using them, I don't feel I need expressly masculine decks apart from the gay tarot. The Gay Tarot really tried to represent gay men in non traditional stereotypes with different skin colours and people represented, it does it pretty well but the cards. I think most decks don't really have a gender in their theme, it's a pretty neutral area. But many do conform with gender expectations, woman and man fall in love, etc. Although this area has improved, the majority of decks are pretty traditional in their gender / sexuality outlook.

So I think divination is less of a malecentric area but there are men and they all find decks to use that they like, maybe it's not a problem? I read for a friend who I really tried to pick a masculine deck for and they wanted pink and fluffy and they were straight!  :biggrin: I should have been more open minded but for me there is an issue in this area about intuition skills / feminine area of ourselves  :)

Thank you, Daniel, for your insights. I really like what you say and it helps me understand the male psyche (as it relates to all this). I suppose what counts is really what speaks to a person. That's the deck or the cards that will work best. Intuition is traditionally seen as a more feminine trait, but (I think) because it appears in all of us, definitely confirms how we all share both female and male propensities regardless of our biology.