Skip to content

Do you read the LWB?

Featured Replies

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=249821

byAnemoneRosie

 

Do you read the LWB?

 

 

I'm starting to think that, with some exceptions (like the Fountain), reading the LWB is just a waste of time and I'd be better-served by bonding with the deck directly.

I used to never read the LWBs, but lately I've started looking them over.  If it's an unusual deck, sometimes reading the LWB can help me gain a little insight into it.  And oftentimes it contains a spread unique to the deck - I've been meaning to try some of these out, but I haven't yet.

Usually, no.  There are a few exceptions.  Place Vampire Tarot which had a well-done BOOK, a few others. 

 

But as I tend to just get very RWS decks and I read RWS how I read it, I just don't have interest in the lwb.  IF there was a deck I wanted that really strayed from RWS, I would, but I tend not to get those decks.

Not usually, may look at it if I am just not getting a particular card, but generally no I do not read them.  Companion books, on the other hand, I love.  Now I will only read a LWB if I am doing a deck review so I can give an opinion on it.

I do, when I first get the deck; I want to see the maker's take on it. And some decks are different enough that the maker's take is essential to understanding! But I almost never refer back to it--unless it's one of those very different decks. 

If it's an honest to goodness LWB, yes I do. Most are rather succinct, and especially if it's RWS-based, reading the entire thing would not take more than an afternoon. 

These days, I only flip through the LWB, especially if it's an unusual Tarot deck or an Oracle. I do always peek at the suggested spreads, though.

I see it as a part of the deck and checking it out usually tells me real quick, if it is just "generic card meanings" or if there is some substance and also something I can gain from it - like insight of why the artist chose this image and at times - like with the nice little booklets that come with the decks created by MJ Cullingham - (Guardian of the night and the Urban Crow Oracle ) I find deeper insight into the deck and artwork.

 

I tend to browse the LWB, especially if the artist/creator explains how they came to design the images the way they have. Sometimes there are interesting anecdotes alongside, which can add a little extra. Also, occasionally there'll be a word that jumps out that I'll pop into my tarot workbook.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.