Sign in to follow this  
Guest Night Shade

The most important traits of a tarot reader

Guest Night Shade

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=251804

This one is from TT&M's own Saskia!

The most important traits of a tarot reader?

Hi all, I'm curious to hear what kind of a reader you find trustworthy and would ask for a reading again? The obvious traits would probably be: accurate and empathic, but is there anything else a good reader should/could be in your opinion? Or, reversed, what sort of reader you would not want to deal with or return to? (other than inaccurate and/or hoax).

When I give readings, I use simple, clear language and keep the message concise and to the point. I also try not to judge but treat everyone with respect and empathy. When I receive a reading, I appreciate these same traits. But are you fellow ATers more into "spiritual/mystical/witchy" readers, or life coach types, or "strictly business", i.e. let's just go through the cards with no attempts to connect emotionally or build rapport, or something else?

Guest Night Shade

The kind of reader that I would like to have read for me is the type of reader that I try my hardest to be.  When I read for others, I try to be encouraging, and try to put the most positive spin on the message.  I don't like to sugarcoat anything, or leave out any important truths that the sitter might find unpleasant, but I do try to present these things in a way that leaves the sitter feeling like there's hope for change or improvement. 

My journey with Learning tarot is pretty recent, even though I have had a deck for a while. Hence I used to go to a professional tarot card reader for any query in mind. The reason I continued to go to her for many years is primarily because of her overall calmness I sensed from her. Secondly she would explain about every card in details and why it is there. Not mincing the words, but just said each and everything in a clear and concise manner. Each time after a reading, I walked out of her office with outmost clarity.

Humility, empathy, and a sense of humor are the traits that I believe make a good reader.

I second this, I also like interactive reading meaning having an interaction with the reader during the process, it is how I read for people as well when in person.  That connection between reader and querent is a really special ingredient to me.

From my profile, this little blurb describes what I think is important as a tarot reader!

Tarot will tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to.

We live in a world where kids are getting gunned down in their schools, where a sexual predator controls one of the most powerful countries in the world, where you leave higher education with the weight of crippling debt on your shoulders instead of excitement for what to come. We face paying someone else’s mortgage while wondering how we’ll last the month for food. We find ourselves having to choose between expressing our truths and being accepted by our loved ones.

The world is hard to live in sometimes, and I’m going to argue that sometimes - most times - what we need to hear isn’t a sledgehammer of truth, another thing bearing down on us. What we need to hear is words of love, of community. We need to hear reminders of our strengths, of how we’ve made it this far and we can make it through the next challenge as well. We need to hear that it will be ok, even if the outcome isn’t what we hoped for or expected.

We need to hear more words of love. That’s who I am as a tarot reader, that’s what I consider important. I’ll tell you the truth of the cards, I’ll tell you what you need to hear - to be able to get through the situations you face, to know that you are capable of it.

I want to lift you up, not be another force grinding you down in an already tough world.

Amen! Exactly!

I think if we go into a reading looking for "hard truth", we're not going to give a helpful reading. We're going to look for clues in the cards to bolster what we personally think the sitter needs to hear. We'll find whatever we look for. That's where humility comes in. We don't misuse our abilities by using them to "correct" or "astound" someone or make them cry----that's always rankled with me. Just because I have the ability to read cards doesn't mean I'm entitled to stomp roughshod over my sitters.

That's why I make very sure my deck is fully randomized before I start laying the cards out. And I remove my own scruples and become open to whatever cards appear, whether my own scruples are different than that message or not. It may seem like we shouldn't legitimize things that we don't personally believe in, but it's very possible to suspend our own judgment to give the message the cards show for the sitter just as seen in the cards minus my own personal judgment.

I've done a lot of readings on the "other man/woman" in a love triangle. The cards may show information for the sitter that's contrary to what I've personally found works in my own life but I had to go through all I experienced to get there. The sitter has to do the same. It's their journey, not mine, and what works for me might not be something that would work for them.

Honesty with the results of the reading, but in a way that has a positivity to it, especcially when giving bad news. That is how i try to be as a reader for others, and myself, and that is what I tend to expect from other readers.

I'm not a professional reader but I like readers that make you feel comfortable to discuss questions with. Someone who has empathy, good sense of humor, jenuiness and honesty.

I've seen the word "positivity" in the thread a couple of times, and wanted to give a bit of my take on that...

I tend to have resistance against the need for "positivity", to be honest. I find a lot of times, for me at least, being told to look for the silver lining in a tough situation makes me feel... Unheard, if that makes sense? Like if I can't feel that positivity about something that sucks, I'm not trying hard enough. Sometimes, the best thing to hear is simply reassurance that not hearing what you wanted to hear sucks and it's ok that it sucks, it's ok to feel frustration or guilt or sadness or anger without needing to turn it positive.

I feel like empathy, compassion, with a dose of positive action that the querent can take is more important than giving the message with a positive spin.

This is getting REAL nit-picky about terminology though lol. I've just spent a lot of time around "good vibes only!" hippy sorts and seen how seeking positivity only can easily dial down the empathy in a person!

The most important traits of a tarot reader  :  diploma of education - "psychologist / psychotherapist".

:))

I'm with libra[/member] on this one. I aim to provide clarity rather than positivity per se, because seeing things as they really are is the key to accepting situations and adapting to them. Giving positive advice on how to deal with difficulties is wonderful (and is something I aim at whenever possible), but sometimes simply bringing difficulties into the open and shining a calm, gentle light on them is the most useful thing we can do to help people to get through them.

Qualities? Objectivity, empathy, and a complete lack of judgement are the keys for me.

I'm with libra[/member] on this one. I aim to provide clarity rather than positivity per se, because seeing things as they really are is the key to accepting situations and adapting to them. Giving positive advice on how to deal with difficulties is wonderful (and is something I aim at whenever possible), but sometimes simply bringing difficulties into the open and shining a calm, gentle light on them is the most useful thing we can do to help people to get through them.

Qualities? Objectivity, empathy, and a complete lack of judgement are the keys for me.

Amen ... I too do not shy away from saying what the cards have to say.  The key is empathy in delivery of the messages some things are just not positive which is when querents then need to look at options for dealing with said situations or issues.  This is where empathy and communication comes in.

Amen ... I too do not shy away from saying what the cards have to say.

You, apparently, meant "what the intuition have to say"...

Amen ... I too do not shy away from saying what the cards have to say.

You, apparently, meant "what the intuition have to say"...