Sign in to follow this  
Guest Night Shade

Is the very first impression of a card the best?

Guest Night Shade

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=254302

by tarot_quest

Hola ATers

It might sound like a very simplistic question, but do you always go with the very first impression you get when looking at a card or does staring at a card for longer gives you additional details (or a different feel)?

I am asking this mainly for self readings. When reading for others, my very first impression will be better, but when reading for myself, I sometimes ''jump'' to a conclusion, so looking at the cards for longer seems to be beneficial.

What about you guys?

Guest Night Shade

This is something that I deal with myself.  Whether reading for myself or someone else, I take note of my first impression of a card, and jot it down.  The I study the card some more, and try to find any deeper meanings it may have to offer for this reading.  The trouble is, when I study the card for too long, my intellect takes over for my intuition, and I start overthinking things.  When this happens, my readings sometimes go off on a tangent, and I'm left wondering if they're still in any way accurate, or if I've let my own ideas and philosophies color the reading.  There's a fine line between studying a card and projecting your thoughts into the card, and it's one I fear I cross way too often.

I don't read for myself most of the time but no matter who I read for, the first thing that comes to mind is usually what the cards are saying. Second-guessing doesn't usually work very well.

I have sort of a multi-level way of reading spreads. The very first answer that comes to mind is usually the right one, no matter how  improbable it may seem. Then, once that's established, we go back through and find more information but it should always pertain somehow to the answers from that first run-through of the cards. I don't over-think it or over-read it.  My mind, left to its own devices, could see all kinds of other stuff not pertaining to the reading we're doing, but I keep the focus on just what we're looking for with the current question and don't allow myself to stray away from that very far.

I'm doing my readings from the chat box on my website now and those are really interactive. I like it a lot. Doing readings by email is much less interactive simply for the time it takes to email back and forth. Doing a live chat is almost as good as face-to-face.

First impression because when the logic kicks in, the information that brain analyses becomes diluted with second guesses and personal experiences.