Guest Night Shade

How do I know when to stop?

Guest Night Shade

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=236461

by cutebritbrat08

How do you know when to stop shuffling the cards? When the cards are right and are ready to be read? How many times do you shuffle or for how long? Do you cut the card? How many times? Do you believe it has to be with a certain hand? I was told you are supposed to just know but for those of us knew that still question ourselves, how do we know? I was told that the cards may feel heavy or warm. I have felt them heavy a couple of times but then there are others that I am like, the feel the same and I have shuffled so many times.

Help?

Guest Night Shade

I never know when to stop shuffling.  I don't get that intuitive feeling of "okay - stop now" that some readers do, so I have to decide on a specific number of times to shuffle, or else I'll keep going forever.  If my deck is stacked in order, then I'll shuffle 17 or 19 times (for The Star and The Sun, to try to give the reading some positive vibes).  If the cards are already mixed up, then I'll usually shuffle it 7 or 9 times (just because I like those numbers, and it seems like that would be enough to mix them up enough again for a new reading).

I guess I'm the opposite, I just know. Sometimes I notice I've lost track of my question and then, likewise, I just know to start over again, with focus. It's just the way it works for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Interested to know more about what it is like for others, though.

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=236461

by cutebritbrat08

How do you know when to stop shuffling the cards? When the cards are right and are ready to be read? How many times do you shuffle or for how long? Do you cut the card? How many times? Do you believe it has to be with a certain hand? I was told you are supposed to just know but for those of us knew that still question ourselves, how do we know? I was told that the cards may feel heavy or warm. I have felt them heavy a couple of times but then there are others that I am like, the feel the same and I have shuffled so many times.

Help?

I do not shuffle my cards: I divide my pack into several piles, I stack each pile at random, I spread my cards face down, and I proceed to draw cards at random.

I used to 'know' when to stop but for some reason not anymore  :(

Now I tend to just make a puddle of cards and move them around in circles. It feels 'right' at some point. Then stack them all together again and cut in piles according to how many cards I need to pick.

My technique sounds similar to nightshade--I shuffle the same way every time and incorporate the number 7 often.  But my shuffling technique is very complex and long.  I guess cuz I like shuffling  ^-^  <3 <3 <3

I built a routine. Riffle (if possible) 4 times (ancient Egyptian number of completion) then overhand a few times.

I feel if you create a set shuffling amount, it becomes easy to tell.

I view the shuffling as a tiny sacrifice of time and energy.

Hence the more I shuffle the more of my time and energy I give up to the process of finding my answer.

It then becomes a question of how much time and energy should I give up (symbolically) to the process.

When I've expended enough energy, I just know, I just feel that sacrificing more seconds/motions,

would be to overdo it in terms of what is at stake in this.

Taking this further, if it is more important than it is practical/healthy to do. (Like the condition of the deck degrading)

I might make a more ritual sacrifice, like lighting something on fire or destroying it through other means.

Destruction purely as a symbolic sacrifice to the issue, to underline how much it means to me.

It has been a long time since I did that, but maybe I will take it up again in some form.

I read somewhere earlier today, that when your deck begins to feel "heavy", that's when you stop.

Personally, though, I just shuffle until I feel like stopping. :)

l do an overhand shuffle then when l feel a block or the cards do not go back into the shuffle easily that's my time to stop. 

Something l have always done and it works for me.

I'm like Starlight -- I just shuffle until I feel like stopping. If I had to guess, I'd say that I normally shuffle about 3-4 times, then cut the deck and pull cards.

My shuffling method varies by deck; different sizes and types of card stock call for different handling.

Same. I just shuffle till the deck/me says stop. Sometimes it is short, sometimes quite long! I think it depends on how focused I am on the question. If my question is laser focused, then shuffling need not take so long, but if I am thinking over all the details of the question and what surrounds it, shuffling then becomes longer.

To truly randomize a deck, it's necessary and actually the most expedient to deal the deck out into four (or so) piles and then re-stack the piles into a deck again. I used to riffle and riffle and riffle as part of my routine, but the stacking in piles is the only way to be sure the deck is all random. Once that's done, then if you want to cut the deck into three or riffle shuffle, you're assured that the deck isn't still in clumps of dealt cards from previous readings.

I use the Everyday Enchantment now exclusively and it's a really big deck, so there's no way I can riffle it. Dealing into piles is what I do with them and then I know the deck is truly ready and freshly random for the next reading. It doesn't feel as good as riffling but it's actually faster than I used to get a deck shuffled by riffling. If it were a smaller deck I could riffle, I'd still to the piles thing but then riffle afterward for the spread to come.

I've never had an actual physical tingle or anything with the cards. I guess I could have because the mind does some wiggy things with our bodily sensations if our minds want to believe it's happening but honestly, it never really occurred to me till over the years I've seen people on forums saying they feel tingles or whatever. I just haven't ever experienced that myself.

I actually came up with another way of shuffling my cards recently.

I normally do this when I get a new deck and want to be sure it's all well mixed. I lay down 5 cards and then randomly redistribute the cards from the deck on each pile. I use a different motion every time (horizontal, vertical, diagonal).

It's a bit long but it works wonders  :)

I shuffle until I just feel like I am done, then cut the deck into three, restack and deal the spread.  I have no set number of times I shuffle, but usually at least 5 or 6.  Seems to work for me.  Like Grizabella I have never had tingles or other physical cues to stop.

I tend to get a heavy feeling that I associate with the cards having accumulated the answer. I used to think that it was because of my arms getting tired after a time, but after a while, I ended up figuring out that it was, in fact, the cards telling me they have the answer. I ended up realizing that they get heavy at the times that I stopped feeling the need to focus on the question at hand. I have always associated that time with the time to draw my cards.

I do it differently for different decks at different times, but my usual is to riffle three times with overhand shuffling in between each of those. If the deck is in order when I start I'll shuffle more. If the shuffling isn't seeming to work well I may do more. If I lose focus I might start over again. Sometimes I just feel like doing more or less and so I do.