Desks with cards that CREEP you out and why

GreatDane

This isn't about necessarily dark or spooky decks (although feel free to add those), but decks with cards that just creep you out.

I know I will be adding to this list quickly, but first one that really sprang to mind  GOLDEN TAROT OF THE RENAISSANCE.

FOUND another one!  BARBARA WALKER TAROT...where do I begin?  I see why people like it, but I just feel like the whole deck has such a weird vibe, even some of the more benign cards.  It's like the Twilight Zone, some things seeeeem normal....but aren't.  And the things that seem off, are realllly off.

Don't even remember exactly which card, but the one with the creepy guy in jockey shorts with kids dancing around him.  I am sure someone will jump in here and tell us which card that was!

SO  WHAT are your creepy card decks?

Saturn Celeste

I have one deck I keep in a cabinet in my bedroom.  Don't even go into the cabinet that much.  It is the H.R. Giger Baphomet deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/giger-baphomet/

I love Giger art but not on a tarot card and sadly that's what it is.  Just Giger art plastered on the card. :(  I found using those cards was unnerving.  It was way too distracting.  It was my very first 'special edition' deck I ever bought and waited for it to come out.  I find myself cold to decks that have art put on a card in hopes it portrays the meaning of the card.  Some decks to it better than others but the Giger did not.  If I'm going to 'read' anything disturbing, it will be a third reading of Imajica by Clive Barker!  >:D

Saturn Celeste

?action=dlattach;attach=7901;image

It's in the favorite 10 of Pentacles thread! lol

But the Bosch is artwork adapted from him but with art that matches the meaning of the card.  I have to laugh because this card certainly reminds me of 'generational money.'  :rolleyes:

ahahahhahahhahaha Saturn Celeste! 

I am picturing reading with it at a Faire or something.  Can you imagine a first time querent seeing this card?

Great, now the deck makes me think of bugs and laxatives. Both of those are crowd pleasers!

It doesn't help I am not a fan of Bosch's art.  It's not something I would hang on a wall.  I do get the appeal though.

ahahahhahahhahaha Saturn Celeste! 

I am picturing reading with it at a Faire or something.  Can you imagine a first time querent seeing this card?

Great, now the deck makes me think of bugs and laxatives. Both of those are crowd pleasers!

It doesn't help I am not a fan of Bosch's art.  It's not something I would hang on a wall.  I do get the appeal though.

X-D And my husband so wants that deck too... It's definitely (along with his Deviant Moon) a deck he's more than welcome to keep to himself! Can't help but giggle a bit at that 10 of Pents though.

There are many decks with cards that creep me out, but I haven't kept note. There's likely even a few such cards in my Tarot of the Animal Lords. The Barbara Walker is one deck I definitely agree with, though.

Deviant Moon is another deck that kind of creeps me out.  And when I say a deck creeps me out, it doesn't mean I don't think it's well done or that I don't get the appeal....just that they....creep me out! :bugeyed:

so yeah, your husband doesn't have to worry about me storming your house to grab his Deviant Moon deck!  X/

But the Bosch is artwork adapted from him but with art that matches the meaning of the card.  I have to laugh because this card certainly reminds me of 'generational money.'  :rolleyes:

This is a freaking masterpiece.

Also, LOVE the fact that a Scorpio symbol crept into the photo.

Saturn Celeste

Also, LOVE the fact that a Scorpio symbol crept into the photo.

:blol: Never thought about it! That is the bag that holds my Modern Spellcaster deck.  I was taking pics for the favorite card section.

Guest Night Shade

I love the Ludy Lescot deck, but the 3 of Swords is horrible - showing three babies impaled by swords is just wrong !

And the entire Dark Grimoire Tarot creeped me out -I had to throw it away!

3_of_swords.jpg.6d96923385f8581e6fd3f39639a8cb03.jpg

Like Night Shade it was the Dark Grimoire. Couldn't and didn't want to read with that deck.  It went of to someone who truly wanted it.

The Wormweird tarot would definitely creep me out big time, though its now OOP.

I just remembered a couple of decks that had me intrigued, but upon further research had me running the other way... The Wooden Tarot (and Earthbound Oracle) and the Pagan Otherworlds Tarot.

For the Wooden, apparently I'm okay with animal heads on human bodies, but flower and fungi heads on animal bodies is crossing a line. :lolsign: I stopped watching a flip through after the Judgement card.

For the Pagan Otherworlds, well, I only just realized that other people have a similar issue to me and have coined the term "trypophobia" (& wiki page thankfully comes up immediately when Googling "holey phobia"! :P Pro tip... do NOT scroll down any further on that Google page!!)... So yeah, the Seeker card, especially, was definitely a big NOPE.

I think I'll trust y'alls opinion on the Dark Grimoire and not look that up. :bugeyed:

I'd second some of the decks already mentioned here, they have been and gone from my collection. Bosch. Deviant Moon. Great quality artwork, but the images are - uurgh.

My personal one, that I keep wanting to like but never can, is the Gendron. It has some great cards, but some just make me shudder - the babies on the aces for instance, especially the ace of swords. :(

Don't have it any more so won't post a shot - but I've bought it 2 or 3 times and then had to let it go.

You posted the 10 of Poopies  X-D  :egyptian: X-D

Yeah that deck creeps me out and that was the card that did it for me.  I thought I had gotten rid of the deck but I saw it the other day, and now I am wondering if I should give it another shot just to see what I think of it now.  But I just don't know if I will ever get passed the 10 of Poopies.

P.S. I am one of the Deviant Moon lovers, but I totally get that it is not a deck for everyone so I am not offended.  Different strokes for different folks and that is why it is so awesome that there are so many decks out there  ;D

Queen of Nothing

I just remembered a couple of decks that had me intrigued, but upon further research had me running the other way... The Wooden Tarot (and Earthbound Oracle) and the Pagan Otherworlds Tarot.

For the Wooden, apparently I'm okay with animal heads on human bodies, but flower and fungi heads on animal bodies is crossing a line. :lolsign: I stopped watching a flip through after the Judgement card.

For the Pagan Otherworlds, well, I only just realized that other people have a similar issue to me and have coined the term "trypophobia" (& wiki page thankfully comes up immediately when Googling "holey phobia"! :P Pro tip... do NOT scroll down any further on that Google page!!)... So yeah, the Seeker card, especially, was definitely a big NOPE.

I think I'll trust y'alls opinion on the Dark Grimoire and not look that up. :bugeyed:

I have trypophobia too, thought not as strong as others. I can't bear to look at the Seeker either, and the knight of cups always unnerves me.

My Ritual Abuse deck is pretty horrifying overall. There are some cards that are really hard to look at, like the 9 of pents or the King of wands, and even the fool (the eyeballs trigger the trypophobia). But... that's kind of the point of the deck. It terrifies me the exact same way that the illustrations in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark terrified me. And those old books gave me literal nightmares. I love that deck, and those books, to pieces though.

Photoshopped decks kind of freak me out.

I bought one about two years ago thinking that it was just meticulous painting and the artist was just that good (you know kind of like the artists who do those angel decks).

Turns out they're photos of real people (from present day, most likely) photoshopped into RWS-based imagery. IDK why it bothers me so much, but it really does! Strangely enough, if it's a commissioned painting of a long-dead public figure I don't mind (like the paintings in "The Art of Life", if it turns out some royal family member was in one of those paintings or a selfie of Vincent van Gogh, then it doesn't bother me).

But if it's a model from the present day, photoshopped as the Queen of Pentacles or whatever, I feel like I can't shake that model's energy off the card? And what is that model like IRL? Are they a jerk? Are they spiritual? Are they anything like the Queen of Pentacles? Is the model in the 5 of Pentacles card someone who actually lives a 10 of Pentacles lifestyle IRL? Is the model who posed for the High Priestess card actually the Devil? It creeps me out that they're real people.

Illustrations only for me, please. Hyper-realistic is fine, based on a long-dead person is also fine. But no living people on my cards!