Sign in to follow this  
Guest Night Shade

Keep dealing until a good card comes?

Guest Night Shade

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=59669

by vision777

i notice when i do daily cards spreads like the one card a day thing if i get a bad card i will shuffle again until a 'nicer" card comes. i know deep down inside that should not be done but who would want the 10 of swords as a day card? or any other negative looking card? do other people do this when this happens to them and if there are people who don't approve of this how can one get over doing another reading just because a "negative card appears?

Guest Night Shade

I've been guilty of this when reading for myself.  If I'm asking a question that I want a positive answer or a "yes" answer to, I'll decide (i.e. lie to myself) that my mind must have been wandering while I was shuffling, or I misphrased the question, or something distracted me as I was cutting the cards, because of course that negative card can't be the true answer - it must be a mistake.  Which is absolute nonsense as I well know, but sometimes I play along with this fallacy because I don't think I can handle a "no" or a negative truth. 

I think the way to get over this is to be ready for any outcome.  Go into the reading knowing that the cards may not tell you what you want to hear, and steel yourself to accept the truth.  If the cards give you a negative message, maybe do another reading asking how you can best handle the situation, or what you can do to make the situation better.  If you really aren't able to bear getting a "bad" card, then you should probably put the cards away for the day.

One more point - I never do this when I'm reading for other people.  If I'm reading for a sitter, I feel I have an obligation to tell them the truth of what I see in the cards - but I do try to put as positive a spin on it as I can.

I've been guilty of this when reading for myself. 

:eek:

This is one of the many reasons I don't read for myself.  I tend to look for vulnerabilities and I go way too nuts with myself!  :o

Yeah, sometimes I get scared to do a reading for myself...I just feel very vulnerable especially if the question seems very important to me at the time.  Cuz I use the same prep each time and don't deviate.  I guess I'm afraid what the cards might show me.  When I first see the cards, it can kind of shock me.

If l feel that l have shuffled well for myself and a 'negative' card pops out, l know it does have a meaning for me.  With a huge groan and a holding of breath l wait to see what transpires.  As with life it is never as bad as l think it will be, there is always a positive side, or a lesson to be learnt.

Bit like going to the dentist bad news then relief  :))

Lol.

If I have a HUGE BURNING QUESTION - which is rare these days...

I'll get someone else to read my cards.

Mostly I use my cards for deconstruction of my emotional baggage, magick and ritual, and reading practice.  The form of reading for myself that I might do - is "asking my quides for comments or advice" - somehow, if I approach it like this I find I'm less likely to see what I want to see etc. as some of you have described.

If l feel that l have shuffled well for myself and a 'negative' card pops out, l know it does have a meaning for me.  With a huge groan and a holding of breath l wait to see what transpires.  As with life it is never as bad as l think it will be, there is always a positive side, or a lesson to be learnt.

Bit like going to the dentist bad news then relief  :))

Like you I brace myself and deal with it, at least I am forewarned which does help mitigate the circumstances.  So I keep the cards and work through it. Like you said, it is much like going to the dentist  X-D

I don't really see any card as good or bad. All carry a strong and beautiful message, even the ones that some people find scary! I seem to always come back to describing it like a bad trip on psychedelics - it might  not be the most fun, but the rough trips are the ones that actually allow myself to do that deep work, that bring up where I need to focus my healing. It's the same as when a person I dislike shows up in my life, usually what I dislike in them is something I'm jealous of. If I view them as selfish, well they might be, but my reaction tells me that I may be needing to take a page out of their book and put myself first sometimes. I judge in them what is lacking in myself. A "bad" card is actually an invitation to do the work like these situations ask, and so are actually very much  in line with what I use tarot for.

If I'm feeling fragile or low spoon enough that I don't think I can face that kind of work, I'll pull a card from a lovey-dicey supportive oracle deck instead!

No. If you can't deal with the energy of ANY day, good or bad, you probably should never, ever read for yourself. There is an amazing lesson in taking the good with the bad. Let the card stand. Then maybe you can see it in all its complexities. ;)

With Love,

Sandy

We all know that there are going to be good days and days that are maybe not so good. Maybe if you look at like a little head's up from your cards it could help. Consider it like those warnings on days when you get to work and a co-worker tells you the boss is on a rampage. It's nice to know about the mood so we can plan a response as opposed to just react to it.

I tend to not do predictive readings for myself. My own readings are mostly centered around personal development/exploration. But I do use cards to channel messages, so those can be predictive at times. I just think that after reading my own (and other people’s) cards for over two decades there really are no cards that I haven’t gotten used to seeing. I’ve also seen them in so many different circumstances/contexts so that helps to keep things in perspective. But I am sure that I have re-dealt my cards at some points in my tarot journey.

No I don't do this.  I do sometimes doubt myself when I start to lay out the cards; whether I shuffled them enough, that kind of thing but then I read the cards as is otherwise I'll learn nothing.  It's a bit like asking your friend for advice and then sticking your fingers in your ears while they are speaking.  Don't ask the question if you are only prepared to accept one answer.