Sign in to follow this  
sandrang123

Visitation from Dad? Thoughts?

Normally when those who have departed pay me a visit they do so in liminal states. I know it’s a visitation because my first thought usually is: What am I doing here? By “here” I mean, as examples, at an Italian Deli, standing in the checkout line; or at a high school boys’ basketball game, sitting in the bleachers. It feels distinctly “other” to me. Then I turn and…surprise. Someone is there. That’s generally how I get that sort of information. Why this way? I have no idea.

A few days ago, in another post, someone asked me if my father, who died March 9th 2011, visits me. And I responded, quite truthfully, that I’ve willed him away from that area of my life. But after that post, I got to thinking, It would be nice if he paid a visit in some way. And of course since the anniversary of his death was right upon me, that date came to mind.

So yesterday something did happen, and I’ll put it up here for anyone to weigh in, doubt, give a better explanation. I’m pretty open to thoughts.

Hubby and I had been running errands from about 9:30-2:00. We got home, cleaned, and then he went back out to return something at a store around 3:30. So I was sitting here alone and all the sudden this super loud, semi-schmaltzy music started playing. It was short—almost the sound/length of a ring tone, but not mine.

This scared the hell out of me, because we’ve had break-ins and garage robberies of late, and it sounded like someone with a cell on was in the room next to me (or, say, the basement), and silenced it. As I was trying to even process this, my hubby called and was immediately like, “What’s wrong?” I told him. He told me to leave the house right away, which I did. But once outside I checked the basement windows and back door and front door and…nothing. No evidence of any tampering.

Believe it or not, I can be pretty skeptical and logical in my own right. So after discounting a possible break-in, I thought: It must have been something with my phone. I don’t use it often, for calls, so I thought: Maybe at some point I changed to this dumb ring tone and that’s what I heard.

Came back inside (but stayed right by the front door, with hubby on my landline phone to his cell). Hubby got back, checked the house, too. Had him call my cell…it was off and went right to voicemail. The volume on my phone was off, as always.

Went to bed still confused as all get out. Well, this morning hubby brought coffee up to bed, along with our computers. When he turned his on from hibernation—he hadn’t been on it since the morning before—this SUPER LOUD music plays, except in a "full" excerpt, not the small portion I heard. It was a website he’d had up on his computer, along with many other tabs, for more than a week. It was a listing on a site selling mandalas, which I had forwarded to him because I was looking for a gift for my “other dad” (father-in-law) and it was a mandala wind chime, which I thought he’d like. Turns out there was a video on that site with this music. Phil hadn’t played the video, nor had I. Needless to say, when he first heard the music, he said, "What the F-ck?" Because it startled him, too.

So our thinking now is that maybe (and even though his computer was closed and in hibernation) it did some update, which it does every few days. And somehow that triggered this to turn on. (???)

The things we still can’t rationalize completely:

--His computer often updates, and never in the past week or so has this turned on.

--Though (unlike me) he DOES keep the volume on his computer and cell on, he always has it low because when home, he works in the next room to me and I hate noise when I'm working. When he opened his computer in the morning, the volume was on the highest level possible.

--He hadn’t turned on the video for the mandala ever.

--The actual video with song is longer than the smaller portion I heard, so it would have been that it turned on and then off, within a shorter period of time.

And the only other thing I think (perhaps wishfully making meaning, sure) is that in the days after his death in 2011, my mom kept getting phone calls and no one was there—just elevator music. To be fair, everyone knows it was probably a robocall (!!!) but before he died Dad would sometimes dance around the room in a waltz, making schmaltzy music hums.

Sorry hon, that's sounds like a hacker having fun. Check firewall on your comp. If this continues, ask for IT support for help. If that continues, file complaint with Google/Microsoft or whom ever that part of system belongs to. If that doesn't work, you will have to file a police report but you will need response from the owners of systems/apps.

Good luck.

Actually we toyed with that idea, too, though we have pretty strong firewalls, in general, and haven't ever (yet) been hacked. (Finger crossed.) Will check, though. Thanks!

There was an article on a family from Cincinnati just few months back. Lady had to file a complaint with police  because they got into her home monitoring system and she got kids. I don't know how it ended but hope she/her family ok now.

Oh, man, that is freaky! We are not tied in here with home monitoring things, etc. We don't stream things. I barely talk to Siri and then only on cell when I need directions. (My general feeling is the less you are tied to networks, the better).

But: It might still happen. So I'll check. Thanks for the thought.

All Best,

Sandy