Guest Night Shade

Does Tarot make you smarter?

Guest Night Shade

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=83155

by HearthCricket

I often see articles that inform us that reading, learning a new language, playing games, solving puzzles, etc., keeps the brain and memory healthy and growing strong, no matter what age. I often wonder, do you think tarot does the same? I do. Reading or studying tarot is a language all of its own. Constantly studying the artwork and symbolism and feeing our brains with new decks and new ideas, must be doing some good to us! And that doesn't even count the books we read, the paths we take, the journeys and studies that a deck or even a picture, a religions, a deity or theme might take us.

So, do you feel smarter being a tarot reader/collector/studier/artist? Do you think it does the body good?

Guest Night Shade

I wouldn't say that I feel smarter from reading tarot, but it certainly makes me think more.  My brain gets a good workout when I try to make sense of a difficult reading, look for new meanings in the cards, or work on deciphering a new deck.

Studying the true (but not false, occult!) history of the Tarot, makes a person smarter ...because you get a lot of useful links (world history, history of iconography and art etc...) and you become erudite + you can combine IT with your creative thinking = you become smarter )

I do believe it helps keep the mind active and healthy, but I would not say smarter.  Perhaps smarter when it comes to Tarot but I do not think it impacts my overall intelligence level.

I remember hearing that learning how to read tarot is about as difficult as learning how to fly a helicopter. Don’t ask me how they made that estimation!  ;D Learning something new is always beneficial and I definitely believe that tarot can add new pathways in your brain. But then I also believe that those who choose to explore tarot are really smart to begin with, since they have such awesome interests  ^-^

It may make us more educated but not smarter. It fine tunes our brain and we learn to use both sides of our brains. The two halves of our brain don't usually communicate, but they need to in order to put words to our readings and that's difficult.

Each half of our brain does a different type of thing. The right side deals with emotions, images, etc. but the left side is the one we use for logic and learning---a b c's and 1 2 3 sorts of things. When I first started reading the cards, I found that I knew what the cards were saying but I found it difficult to translate that into spoken words. To develop a brain in which the two halves would interact and communicate with each other was necessary. It took a little time for me to be able to do that. It was a strange feeling.

I guess instead of saying Tarot or any divination makes us smarter, I'd say it makes us more cerebral.

I started feeling like I was learning a secret language when tarot started to click for me. Not secret in the sense that no one else knows it (though no one else knows it quite like *you*), but in that I've so far kept my tarot to myself...so it's like no one else knows that I know a secret language!

Agree that it might not make one smarter, but definitely a better thinker, and, yes, I like the word cerebral. There is so much knowledge associated with reading tarot over multiple fields and disciplines...I like that I feel like I can just keep learning more and more. We're all perpetual students!

Well... it certainly makes us practice holistic problem-solving skills, it encourages us to listen to your intuition, it builds empathy through the need to understand the sitter, and there's all the benefit of basically learning a new symbolic language.

Does it increase your IQ? Maybe not, because those tests are for very specific traits. But in the context of the question (basically, is it good for your brain function) I'd say in general it has to be... so long as we keep using our brain instead of discharging responsibility for thinking onto the cards!  ;)

Maybe "smarter" is not the right word for it.  I feel it certainly made me "wiser"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe "smarter" is not the right word for it.  I feel it certainly made me "wiser"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well said!

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2019 at 3:09 AM, Grizabella said:

When I first started reading the cards, I found that I knew what the cards were saying but I found it difficult to translate that into spoken words. To develop a brain in which the two halves would interact and communicate with each other was necessary. It took a little time for me to be able to do that. It was a strange feeling.

@Grizabella, I understand what you’re saying here, and believe it to be a key point.

Having made that journey, do you have any advice on how you went about to develop and further that ability? It’s where I struggle the most, and would appreciate your input!

And... Thank you for putting the above issue into words for me.  :heartz: ❤️

Edited by Nordica De Spell

It depends on what is meant by 'smart'. I have found that reading Tarot as well as doing my art readings for people here has completely changed my way of thinking. Offline I'm an academic, so I'm trained to think in a certain kind of way. But with Tarot and the art readings my brains makes very different connections and follows a way of thinking that is not linear and rational but equally valid. Maybe it's a form of magical thinking that Tarot encourages - a different way of knowing to that governed by the intellect. I guess it's similar to what Grizabella says.

So I think it has made me wiser in the way the human mind works and has made me acknowledge that the mind is larger than the intellect.

Yes I think a serious study of the tarot does make you smarter.  It entails reading and if you study the tarot, you'll read more than just the interpretations of the cards.  You can't go wrong with reading, no matter what the more you read the smarter you'll become.