Sign in to follow this  
Guest Night Shade

Which Tarot remains silent for you?

Guest Night Shade

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=237829

This one is by our own Thoughtful[/member]

Am l the only reader on the Planet who does not have a connection with the Rider Waite tarot. This deck l know is widely used as a teaching tarot and usually the first deck someone buys. l have tried different variations of the deck and bought books to help me along. l look at the cards and pretty though they are l feel absolutely nothing coming from them. Yet l can use and read with the clones beautifully.

My recent purchase was the PCS Centennnial l have to say its a lovely deck and l had high hopes that this was the one to break through the block. Sadly its the same old story. l just cannot come to any relationship with this deck. Even reading Mark Katz and Tali Goodwin's book together with the cards just left me cold. In fact l ended up with a headache  Though l enjoyed reading about Pamela.

Is there a deck you would love to be able to read with but for some reason it alludes you.

Guest Night Shade

For me it's the Gendron Tarot - I just can't seem to connect with that deck.  The symbolism doesn't really resonate with me, which makes it especially hard because I prefer to read intuitively.  And I'm not that crazy about collage decks, so I probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

For me it is also the RWS.  I could probably muddle through a reading with it now, but I have no connection with it and it leaves me absolutely cold.  I have tried several different versions.  I kept the Raidiant just to make sure I have a copy of the deck on hand for mentoring or teaching purposes, but frankly the art just does not speak to me.  I ended up learning tarot with the Robin Wood and the Tarot of the Old Path, both RWS based, but the actual RWS is just not for me.

:D

I never liked the RWS because I prefer my artwork to be more modern.

BUT - when I went to a presentation about the artists life - I began to appreciate the RWS and now, I can read with it happily (and have quite a few versions of it). But - I still wouldn't choose it otherwise.

I take it to Tarot meetings because where I am - it is the common deck that newbies start with - so I always have a copy if I'm working with a new reader.