Guest Night Shade

When card meanings contradict your intuition

Guest Night Shade

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=215552

by tiffer

Hello all

I was just wondering if anyone has ever felt something really strongly intuitively from a card and then looked at the book meaning and found that it is completely contradictory?

I had this recently with the 2 of Swords and also 2 of Pentacles... Some of what i felt just from looking and experiencing the cards matched the book meanings but a vast majority of what i felt didnt at all match and was sometimes, in fact, the opposite.

Has anyone ever experienced this? And if so what did you do? Do you go with the book meanings and go against what you felt or did you disregard the book meanings if they didnt correspond with your intuition?

Guest Night Shade

This happens to me a lot.  Sometime when I try to interpret a reading using book meanings, it makes no sense to me at all.  When I look at the picture and go with my gut, however, it will suddenly make perfect sense.  So I always go with my intuition, because even though book and traditional meanings are important, that little voice inside can tell you more than any book ever will.

I don't know about having one feeling and the card means another.  I often have a card seem out of place in a reading, either it doesn't seem to relate to the question at hand or is in a strange place.

The better I know a card (at least, the more time I spend thinking about it!  ;)), the more that card takes on the meanings that I come to understand from it intuitively. Sometimes these meanings differ from the book meanings, and that's fine. Like Night Shade, those meanings are far more likely to be the right ones; always go with what you feel, is my view.

My impression is that the cards are selected according to what they mean to you and your intuition, and hence the messages that they pass on. Although the book meanings form a basis for their significance, as your understanding grows the cards will adapt to you.

I go straight up intuitive all the way. My decks are speaking to me, and so the cards pulled are intended to speak to my inner knowledge. If my gut says something that isn't traditional, so be it! The areas where I deviate and trust my gut are where I tend to be most on point, I find!

It's nice to see how others feel about this. I will also read a card intuitively and if I feel the need to go back to a book may find that I was "wrong." I'm trying not to think of it as wrong, though, but as the cards speaking to me in that particular moment.

I don't do 1 card readings with Tarot (I do with Oracles), so card meanings for me are always modified by the question, spread position, and surrounding cards.  I reconcile the base meaning with my intuition and these other factors to get to specific meaning for the card, but if push comes to shove I would take my intuitive interpretation taking into account the other factors I look at over a standard book meaning.

This is interesting. 

l often feel an inner intuition when looking at a card, and very often it is different to the book meaning.  Its good to start out with book meanings when learning, but when intuition kicks in l would say go with both.  Your intuition and knowing is there for a reason, very often it can expand a meaning and give you much more insight.

On May 4, 2019 at 8:52 AM, Thoughtful said:

This is interesting. 

l often feel an inner intuition when looking at a card, and very often it is different to the book meaning.  Its good to start out with book meanings when learning, but when intuition kicks in l would say go with both.  Your intuition and knowing is there for a reason, very often it can expand a meaning and give you much more insight.

I agree - I find if something jumps in my mind, it's probably the right call. The book meanings are a good start, but they're not ironclad rules, IMO.

I also find sometimes the cards are very literal in a way that has nothing to do with either intuition or book meanings, but most of the time I can only see that in hindsight. Such as one day I got the 8 of pentacles from a deck that has all the pentacles grouped up at the top of the card, and it was reversed. (I don't read with reversals, and I have no idea how the card got turned.) It looked like the pentacles were falling. That day, it snowed unexpectedly! I'm hoping I will eventually get better at pulling those meanings out beforehand.

I find the book meaning (especially in oracles) and the generic accepted meaning (especially in tarot) are a good starting point. *this is the basic idea of the card* like a foundation but then I read the artwork intuitively and see if I get anything from it. Sometimes it comes out completely different to the basic meaning (or reference meaning). But you get so many more layers and amazing results by going with what you get! I would always contradict the reference meaning, the intuitive meaning always comes first for me :thumbsup: They are just someone else's opinions on it and my own take on it has to come first to personalise the reading 🙂

Recently I have been thinking that we all get special messages from the cards, like a short cut "this means this for you". I think it is an individual thing for the person. I have been doing daily cards again and some of them are short hand messages for something I know in my own life. For example today I got the King of Wands as a daily card and couldn't really understand it this morning. But a plumber came and repaired a shower that I have waited for for weeks. He is an amazing guy who seems to be able to do any kind of work with his hands. I realise he is so the King of Wands, it was a bit of a last minute surprise today! The tarot told me he was coming, so now I know this card will always represent him, to look for in future. I have been noticing this more and more, like a short hand code but I think just in my readings. I am going to monitor if it comes up in my readings for others as well. Also reversed Pages seem to show for me that I will be sick on that day, every time! I think this is different in meaning for each person though but I think they do personalise to people as well as the layers of meanings.