What a snake can symbolize

Guest Koblo

DoNotDelete

Hi all  X/

I know that a snake is known to symbolize so many things, but I want to add a new feature.

I have a strong sense that the snake can symbolize corruption.

I don't want to write more about it than that. When it comes to interpretation often one word is enough.

Think of it - corruption.

queenofswords853

In my view a snake can symbolize growth and knowlege but also victory that could be gained through not the best means. As a snake sheds skill could also signify a change.  X/

It depends on the person as well as the culture. In Asia the snake often symbolize wisdom and it holds sacred female energies. In the western world, and particularly through the Christian lense, the snake is viewed as treacherous, dangerous and evil. Personally, I see it as representing Kundalini; divine feminine wisdom and the power of transformation. Just like queenofswords853[/member] said, the shedding of its skin is a beautiful analogy of the transformative power that resides in us all (much like the Divine feminine reside in us all, alongside the Divine masculine) That’s what I believe, anyway  :)

DoNotDelete

It depends on the person as well as the culture. In Asia the snake often symbolize wisdom and it holds sacred female energies. In the western world, and particularly through the Christian lense, the snake is viewed as treacherous, dangerous and evil. Personally, I see it as representing Kundalini; divine feminine wisdom and the power of transformation. Just like queenofswords853[/member] said, the shedding of its skin is a beautiful analogy of the transformative power that resides in us all (much like the Divine feminine reside in us all, alongside the Divine masculine) That’s what I believe, anyway  :)

Raggydoll[/member]

Sometimes I wonder if I write to myself here. I asked you people to think about it, but it's actually me that gets to think about it and come up with a better answer. I don't use windows, but somehow the computer screen gives me an ability to "mirror reflect".  :think:

I think I agree with you Raggydoll about corruption doesn't belong to the snake.

But I still have a new take on the word corruption that I will write in the "Using Tarot/Tarot Meanings" forum where it belongs.  :)

https://www.thetarotforum.com/tarot-meanings/new-keyword-for-the-moon/

Saturn Celeste

Sometimes I wonder if I write to myself here. I asked you people to think about it, but it's actually me that gets to think about it and come up with a better answer.

Message boards are great for tossing ideas back and forth in friendly discussions.  If you come into a message board with the idea you're going to change everyone to your beliefs then there might be some problems in communication with each other.  We allow all forms of individual ideas presented here without judgement and we hope everyone feels comfortable in a no judgement zone.

It is not hard to see the connection to the word corruption.
It is of course only one of many valid interpretations.

Snake -> Dragon -> Lucifer -> Corruption

But might as well go this way.

Snake -> Dragon -> Treasure -> Rebirth

ThreeCircleTarot
1 hour ago, Arch said:

It is not hard to see the connection to the word corruption.
It is of course only one of many valid interpretations.

Snake -> Dragon -> Lucifer -> Corruption

But might as well go this way.

Snake -> Dragon -> Treasure -> Rebirth

Love this in context of the Book of Revelation...

Seeing the snake as a force for corruption was taught to me when I was young. Then I met a shaman with snake tattoos all over her and learned she saw them through the lens of rebirth as well. Spiritual crisis being the shedding of skin, that sort of thing. The ouroboros reminds me of this, too.

6 hours ago, ThreeCircleTarot said:

Love this in context of the Book of Revelation...

Seeing the snake as a force for corruption was taught to me when I was young. Then I met a shaman with snake tattoos all over her and learned she saw them through the lens of rebirth as well. Spiritual crisis being the shedding of skin, that sort of thing. The ouroboros reminds me of this, too.

Yeah, the corruption bit is a natural consequence of the stance of Christianity.
Many other spiritual traditions don't have that issue, as they never tried to create a savior figure to wash away all sin.
As Jung would put it...

"For anyone who has a positive attitude towards Christianity the problem of the
Antichrist is a hard nut to crack. It is nothing less than the counterstroke of the
devil, provoked by God's Incarnation; for the devil attains his true stature as the
adversary of Christ, and hence of God, only after the rise of Christianity, while as
late as the Book of Job he was still one of God's sons and on familiar terms with
Yahweh. Psychologically the case is clear, since the dogmatic figure of Christ is so
sublime and spotless that everything else turns dark beside it. It is, in fact, so
one-sidedly perfect that it demands a psychic complement to restore the balance. This
inevitable opposition led very early to the doctrine of the two sons of God, of whom
the elder was called Satanael. The coming of the Antichrist is not just a prophetic
prediction--it is an inexorable psychological law whose existence, though unknown to
the author of the Johanine Epistles, brought him a sure knowledge of the impending
enantiodromia. Consequently he wrote as if he were conscious of the inner necessity
for this transformation, though we may be sure that the idea seemed to him like a
divine revelation. In reality every intensified differentiation of the Christ-image
brings about a corresponding accentuation of its unconscious complement, thereby
increasing the tension between above and below."
Carl Jung - Aion

Edited by Arch

PageOfCups

I think it's interesting too because in the Lenormand the Snake card is often considered female, but then it's also phallic.

And usually it represents a woman who's behaving like a d**k (that's how I memorise the card's meaning).

Personally what usually comes to mind first in terms of symbolism is the skin-shedding. 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

(According to Pottermore, I'm apparently a Slytherin.)

Edited by PageOfCups

DownUnderNZer
24 minutes ago, PageOfCups said:

I think it's interesting too because in the Lenormand the Snake card is often considered female, but then it's also phallic.

And usually it represents a woman who's behaving like a d**k (that's how I memorise the card's meaning).

Personally what usually comes to mind first in terms of symbolism is the skin-shedding. 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

(According to Pottermore, I'm apparently a Slytherin.)

Depends on the system really.

Hi!

Back in 2020 I've encountered least 1 snake dream a month that goes on for 3-5 months. All of those are snake attack dreams.

At first I got really scared and confused as in Asian Mythologies, snake means someone is trying to 'harm you' or my family says 'take your fortune away'.

I have deleted my notes on those detailed dreams but I do remember writing down all of them immediately after I wake up and the species of those snakes.

Funny enough in all of them I manage to grab them by the 'throat' before they bite me and throw them away somewhere, even once I specifically hold it and walk all the way to a grass patch to throw it (Smart enough).

Turns out it was a warning dream. That my ex best-friend was trying to attack me / bring me down mentally and was a sign that I have someone super snake-like toxic around me.

Luckily she moved abroad for studies and after I've sent her off at the airport, my dreams are snake free!!!

But in another sense, I do believe snake dreams (without the attacking) are either warnings or a sign of transformation coming.

Hope it helps!