Suggest a Deck for Me!

So, I would like to start a small collection of tarot and oracle decks. You all know the good decks way better than I, so I need your help. I have set aside money to buy 1 deck (maybe 2) a month. I have some guidelines regarding taste and budget, but I am pretty open to ideas. I’ll update if I buy one you all suggest.

I am on a budget, so $20-25 is the max I can spend per month. This pretty much means I am limited to mass market decks. 😞 I generally am not big on fairies, unicorns, mermaids, etc. I will consider them if the decks is really good though. I’m also not huge on gothic or really “dark” decks. Again, I will consider them if the deck is good. I do tend to like historically minded decks. I learned to read tarot with RWS, but I am open to any style of cards as long as I am capable of learning them. I’m probably not an “intuitive reader” as I like learning to read based on a system. Anything toooooo esoteric may be out of my league. 

Any suggestions?

Update of the list so far:

April: Spanish Cards (bought)

May: Thoth Tarot Mini (bought)

June: Dusserre Marseilles, Moonology Oracle Cards (bought)

July: Ancient Italian, something gilded (I’m a Cancer, so this is my gift to me)

August: Psy-cards, Mermaid Tarot

September: Wildwood Tarot

October: The Voyager, Halloween Tarot

November: Green Witch Tarot

Edited by Czenzi

There are a few historical decks you can pick up pretty cheap if you want to to start collecting TdMs.

One is the Thunder bay TdM:

https://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Set-Illustrated-Book/dp/1592231381

The book is absolute garbage but the deck is great. It's an excellent starter deck. It can really take a beating, too.

Another one is the Piatnik TdM:

https://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Marseille-Card-Deck-Piatnik/dp/B07J52FHHG/

One of my favorites is the cheapest, but the colors are a bit off-putting for some: Fournier TdM

https://www.amazon.com/Fournier-Le-Tarot-De-Marseille/dp/B005N6S9OA

Sorry, but I'm going to have to suggest the Wildwood.  :)

It has a rather different system to RWS, but it is a clear system - if you want to follow the Wheel of the Year, it revolves around that. The images have a lot of detail and symbolism, so not too reliant on intuition (although there's a lot of scope there too). It's historically based, in that it is an interpretation of pre-Christian, northern European culture. Not light and fluffy, but also not too dark. Basically, it ticks all your boxes.

The only downside is that some people who want to love the deck just don't seem to be able to read with it. Others, however, are immediately smitten and find it gives the best readings they've ever had... so it's a bit of a gamble. Have a look at the study group pages and index to threads on here, if you're interested.

DownUnderNZer

ORACLES

Even though you don't like fairies...

Fairy Oracle: For Oracle's you can't go wrong with Froud's Fairy Oracle - the first deck. It is not airy fairy or childish like.

It is blunt and to the point and doesn't mince words. You even get to use your intuition if you want.

As for buying one am not sure how available it is right now, but am sure it was in print again in recent years.

Psy.cards: A truly excellent and insightful deck on a Psychological level. Nothing compares to this deck at all when it comes to looking inside a person or situation.

TAROT

I think this all depends on what you are after and how you choose to learn the Tarot.

The Voyager is great if you want to use Intuition, but some find it rather busy and complex.

With this deck I use to have a field day doing Intuitive readings only and it was quite accurate to a fault.

Maybe it just comes down to the reader.  No matter the deck - it doesn't mean you can read them or not and some will click with you more than others.

DND X/

DownUnderNZer

Adding: The Spanish Cards or La Baraja Espanola.

These I have tried a few times this year for the first time and they seem to nail people and situations to a tee.

In a general everyday context.

As yet I have not used them in the layouts that were intended for them, but nevertheless my readings have been on the mark even with the additional cards meant to be taken out. Depends on what region of the world perhaps.

They are kind of like the Tarot, Lenormand, Kipper and Playing Cards combined into one. How I see them when using them.

If you live in the US I think it will be easy to get your hands on and the price is next to nothing. If abroad, perhaps a bit more with shipping really adding to it.

DND X/

I must say my fav limited budget are;

1) fools dog app (googleplay) as you get full deck & Book for only few$!:)

it let you see all cards read book & do some spread & it works perfect if you have larger android screen!:) best example Shadowscapes I fall in love with again!:)

& if you decide you love that deck you can always buy it later!:)

2) mini decks fun & easy to handle & carry around & often you don't need more anyway!:)

my fav Manga Tarot & mini rws!^^

3) Gilded!^^ happy to say most of mass printed *gilded decks fit budget & there is plenty to pick!^^ & Your collection NEED at least 1!^^ Golden Universal my fav & Bottichell 2nd!^^ oh! just remembered Ethereal Visions: An Illuminated Tarot Deck by Matt Hughes (U.S. Games edt) also feat gilding AND Beautiful Art Nuovu art!:)

that brings us to my top no.1 art deck; Mucha Tarot!:)

4) these may not be everyone cup of tea (especially after all that possession & *conversion affair) BUT must say I like DV Tarot & Oracle sets!:) plenty options & nice book for price!^^ lol

5) oracle, piatnik are good start & *affordable & imo give good idea how oracle work in general & let you explore different systems such as Lenormand & Gypsy cards (Art Deco my fav but may be oop now?;) & discovering how well these read for you without spending much on *fancy deck you like but will never use?;D

btw I'm getting most of my *budget decks from bookdepository as they offer free shipping worldwide!:)

Also you may wish to check out etsy/drivethrucards & gamecrafter for some affordable selfpublished Tarot & Oracle decks!:) my are in link in profile!^^)

I must say my fav limited budget are;

1) fools dog app (googleplay) as you get full deck & Book for only few$!:)

it let you see all cards read book & do some spread & it works perfect if you have larger android screen!:) best example Shadowscapes I fall in love with again!:)

& if you decide you love that deck you can always buy it later!:)

2) mini decks fun & easy to handle & carry around & often you don't need more anyway!:)

my fav Manga Tarot & mini rws!^^

3) Gilded!^^ happy to say most of mass printed *gilded decks fit budget & there is plenty to pick!^^ & Your collection NEED at least 1!^^ Golden Universal my fav & Bottichell 2nd!^^ oh! just remembered Ethereal Visions: An Illuminated Tarot Deck by Matt Hughes (U.S. Games edt) also feat gilding AND Beautiful Art Nuovu art!:)

that brings us to my top no.1 art deck; Mucha Tarot!:)

4) these may not be everyone cup of tea (especially after all that possession & *conversion affair) BUT must say I like DV Tarot & Oracle sets!:) plenty options & nice book for price!^^ lol

5) oracle, piatnik are good start & *affordable & imo give good idea how oracle work in general & let you explore different systems such as Lenormand & Gypsy cards (Art Deco my fav but may be oop now?;) & discovering how well these read for you without spending much on *fancy deck you like but will never use?;D

btw I'm getting most of my *budget decks from bookdepository as they offer free shipping worldwide!:)

Also you may wish to check out etsy/drivethrucards & gamecrafter for some affordable selfpublished Tarot & Oracle decks!:) my are in link in profile!^^)

Thank you for the suggestions! I actually already know some Lenormand so I will look there and. I agree I need a new. I actually already have the Ethereal Visions one.

The "Victoria Regina" is a deck I own that might be right up your alley! They're a bit larger than standard tarot size, but the imagery sounds like what you're looking for!

They are beautiful. I’d have never even known they existed!  <3

I have a sense that you could love the Victorian Romantic Tarot, so I mention it even if it is expensive and beyond your budget.

It’s gorgeous. I like having a deck to aspire for.  :)

Victoria Regina is a beautiful deck. I had it once, but it wasn't for me. I traded it, or sold it, to an online friend. As far as I know she still has it.

By the way, I'm flattered you chose one of my suggestions! I hope you start reading the TdM :)

Oh, I think that Piatnik deck is beautiful.  <3 I love TdM swords and cups. I want to learn the system for it properly. Do you have a book suggestion?

Oh, I think that Piatnik deck is beautiful.  <3 I love TdM swords and cups. I want to learn the system for it properly. Do you have a book suggestion?

Although I hate just redirecting people to other threads, an internet search actually led me straight back here!

Here's a discussion about TdM beginners' books :)

https://www.thetarotforum.com/tdm/marseille-books-for-beginners/

PurplePixie03

Hi!

I know most of the people here will suggest Tarot cards, however, I'm mainly an oracle card reader. Currently, my favorite is the Moonology Oracle Cards. It's between $12-16, depending on where you buy it. It's so easy to use, and it's a gorgeous deck.

If you're sticking with Tarot cards, I also love The Good Tarot. This one is $15 on Amazon, and it's very similar to a Tarot Deck, but it's the elements. For example, it's going to be Earth instead of Pentacles. However, this one does have Mermaids. I know you said you didn't like those so...

These are just my favorite that I feel you'd love. They're both beautiful decks, that are easy to use and have a very detailed books that come with them.

~Pixie

I really like the Green Witch Tarot. It's "witchy" but in an "earthy" way focusing on nature and every card has some sort of animal and plant on it. It's not particularly based on the RW system but the book that comes with it is really good and pretty detailed. So if you would like something more down-to-earth (literally) even if you aren't a witch or even a pagan, it's a really nice deck for nature lovers.

I also like the Moonology oracle deck.

Hi!

I know most of the people here will suggest Tarot cards, however, I'm mainly an oracle card reader. Currently, my favorite is the Moonology Oracle Cards. It's between $12-16, depending on where you buy it. It's so easy to use, and it's a gorgeous deck.

If you're sticking with Tarot cards, I also love The Good Tarot. This one is $15 on Amazon, and it's very similar to a Tarot Deck, but it's the elements. For example, it's going to be Earth instead of Pentacles. However, this one does have Mermaids. I know you said you didn't like those so...

These are just my favorite that I feel you'd love. They're both beautiful decks, that are easy to use and have a very detailed books that come with them.

~Pixie

I’ll look at both. The moon deck interests me!

I really like the Green Witch Tarot. It's "witchy" but in an "earthy" way focusing on nature and every card has some sort of animal and plant on it. It's not particularly based on the RW system but the book that comes with it is really good and pretty detailed. So if you would like something more down-to-earth (literally) even if you aren't a witch or even a pagan, it's a really nice deck for nature lovers.

I also like the Moonology oracle deck.

Witchy is fine by me though I don’t know much about it. I like earthy decks.