Raggydoll

Soul Mapping - Using Cards!

Ok, I will admit that I totally made up the word “soul mapping” because I didn’t know what else to call this. But I’ll do my best to try and explain. The intention is to create a vision board - or a soul/manifestation board - with images that sings to you soul (pun intended!) and help you map out your spiritual path and the flavors of your inner essence. So it will both work as a way of exploring your spiritual landscape as well as reaffirm and manifest the goals and wishes that you have. (This topic could have been placed in the Magic and witchcraft category too but since the main purpose was to gain spiritual clarity, I put it in here. If you want to take it further by pouring your energy into those images and archetypes - then please do so. I know I will!)

So, basically, begin by taking out all your favorite decks and start going through them. I will work mainly with oracle decks that depict culture, magical/spiritual practices, ancestral energies, animals, plants, crystals, deities etc. but tarot decks can work fine too, if you feel like they do. 

Using your intuition, remove the cards that you feel you have a special connection to, either because they describe an important piece of you or because you aspire towards what it depicts. Some cards can also be descriptive of the way you intended to design your spiritual practice. And if you feel like you want to add cards for wellness or self love (like one that represents yoga, meditation or a specific diet/lifestyle) then that’s great too. This soul map should be like a beautiful mosaic that makes you happy, motivated and inspired. 

(You can certainly complement with printed images or newspapers clippings too, and you can write words on paper as well)

When you are done you can either leave it out (on a big surface/your altar or on the wall) or take a picture and add to your journal (this can be the most practical approach if you do not wish to have certain decks with missing cards). Write a bit about all the components too, and put your intentions into words. 

As to my own soul map, it is still in the works. I will be using such decks as the Shamanic medicine cards, Ancestral path tarot, Angels & ancestors oracle, dark goddess oracle, green wheel oracle (for spirit animals) as well as some cards for important lunar energies, crystals, herbs and tools. I am setting it up on a shelf inside a locked cabinet. And I will add actual crystals and other tools to aid in the manifestation part of it. 

I’m not sure if I will share any pictures since it’s so personal but I still wanted to share the idea in case it appealed to anyone else. I believe it’s a good way to figure out yourself and your spiritual path. 

Posted (edited)

What a lovely - and powerful - idea, @Raggydoll! I'd like to give this a go some evening.

Just because of where I happen to be at right now, do you see a place for some of the darker, more raw decks? And do we have to know WHY we like an image before we select it, or do we simply run with the feelings we get as we look at the images?

Edited by Starlight

Posted (edited)

What a great idea! I've been thinking about my growth in the past 2 years, especially in the area of career. It would be insightful to know "where" it is on a spiritual/growth level that I'm at now and where I'm headed next. 

@ Starlight - I am not sure what you're looking for... and someone probably has better recommendations...  but I know decks like H.P. Lovecraft Tarot (though probably too much now), The Necronomicon Tarot, Tarot of the Haunted House, Santa Muerte Tarot (or Oracle), and Wisdom of the House of Night Oracle are what come to mind as some dark decks. 

Edited by Eva4

33 minutes ago, Starlight said:

What a lovely - and powerful - idea, @Raggydoll! I'd like to give this a go some evening.

Just because of where I happen to be at right now, do you see a place for some of the darker, more raw decks?

Absolutely! Make it current and authentic, that’s what will make it the most powerful. Own every aspect of yourself, even (and perhaps even especially) the ‘darker’ ones! 

And do we have to know WHY we like an image before we select it, or do we simply run with the feelings we get as we look at the images?

Nope. Just go with your instinct and let the words come later. Give yourself plenty of time to sit with it too. Some things will be harder to define and that’s not the important bit. Feeling it and knowing it is what matters the most

Just because of where I happen to be at right now, do you see a place for some of the darker, more raw decks? And do we have to know WHY we like an image before we select it, or do we simply run with the feelings we get as we look at the images?

I think darker decks would work well for this. Sometimes our soul path has been punctured by painful events which have led to a different perspective. There is a place to acknowledge the harder parts of our spiritual growth too. 

Personally, I’d pair a shadow card with

the positive it led to/what helped me through it on the board. Only because I know I’d dwell too much on the negative otherwise. There are a couple of cards in the Bohemian Gothic which resonate so strongly with me that I’d probably include them. 

14 minutes ago, Eva4 said:

What a great idea! I've been thinking about my growth in the past 2 years, especially in the area of career. It would be insightful to know "where" it is on a spiritual/growth level that I'm at now and where I'm headed next. 

I’m glad you liked it and that sounds like a great plan! 

The word Soul Mapping drew me in! Gotta support others whom make up these terms as well. 🙂

It sounds like such a fun game! 

& a great excuse to start a journal!

So, this will be my May thing. 🤗

Great suggestion, Raggydoll! 💛

1 hour ago, Nordica De Spell said:

The word Soul Mapping drew me in! Gotta support others whom make up these terms as well. 🙂

It sounds like such a fun game! 

& a great excuse to start a journal!

So, this will be my May thing. 🤗

Great suggestion, Raggydoll! 💛

Wonderful! ❤️

I thought that this would be my May thing, and then May was so busy. 

A few days ago, as I brought the first oracle deck out (I decided to only use oracles for this one,) it became a whole other thing...

Ended up being 14 cards chosen from that deck, and trying to sort them into groups by theme, and realizing that there was a ”what do I desire and how to achieve it” type of reading to analyze, right there.

So, that’s what I did, and had a very useful session, before I put them back in the box.

I haven’t given up on the Soul Mapping, but will give it a new go with the next oracle... :herz:

4 minutes ago, Nordica De Spell said:

I thought that this would be my May thing, and then May was so busy. 

A few days ago, as I brought the first oracle deck out (I decided to only use oracles for this one,) it became a whole other thing...

Ended up being 14 cards chosen from that deck, and trying to sort them into groups by theme, and realizing that there was a ”what do I desire and how to achieve it” type of reading to analyze, right there.

So, that’s what I did, and had a very useful session, before I put them back in the box.

I haven’t given up on the Soul Mapping, but will give it a new go with the next oracle... :herz:

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! 

Don't know how I missed this when you first posted, Raggydoll, but I'm intrigued now. I'll put aside some time tomorrow and sit with the cards a while. 

Thank you for the suggestion and the new word - soul mapping, sounds spot on. 

A 💚

20 minutes ago, Arabella said:

Don't know how I missed this when you first posted, Raggydoll, but I'm intrigued now. I'll put aside some time tomorrow and sit with the cards a while. 

Thank you for the suggestion and the new word - soul mapping, sounds spot on. 

A 💚

Aww, thank you!! ❤️

Soul Mapping !!!  I like it @Raggydoll  .  I saw on a social media site the other day, this bloke complaining that there was nowhere to go travelling this summer that hasn't been ruined by tourism.   I thought the only place that's truly undiscovered is ourselves.  Wish I'd had seen this before cos i would have answered:  Map out your soul, mate my friend.

34 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Soul Mapping !!!  I like it @Raggydoll  .  I saw on a social media site the other day, this bloke complaining that there was nowhere to go travelling this summer that hasn't been ruined by tourism.   I thought the only place that's truly undiscovered is ourselves.  Wish I'd had seen this before cos i would have answered:  Map out your soul, mate my friend.

That’s brilliant!! And it’s such an affordable vacation too 😁