Top 50 Essential Tarot Decks Discussion

KaiNO

DevonCarter
1 hour ago, McFaire said:

We have plenty of "favorite" threads so I would suggest that there isn't much point in doing our own "essentials" poll if it just for everyone vote to their favorite.

I think it would be a good idea - especially if it was a sticky. There's a big difference to me between "favorite" and "essential" - so having really clear criteria for essential would be helpful for new learners, or people wanting to start learning a different system.

Although if the essential list is really restricted it would probably be (in no specific order) • A RWS deck   and/or  • Thoth   and/or   • a Marseille deck. Because to begin learning, those are almost exclusively the ones used in books. And they might be exclusive - I'm currently focusing the RWS system, which is the one I prefer. I don't have the Thoth or a Marseille style deck, and I don't think I need them at this point (though I would certainly snatch them up if I found them at a thrift store or something for a reasonable price).

So maybe a thread like "You're learning the RWS system? These are our faves based on that system." "Got Thoth? Try these decks next!" "Our favorite Pip decks!" or something similar. I've always researched by googling the deck and reading Aeclectic reviews, but there are so many new decks coming out all the time that aren't on there!

4 minutes ago, DevonCarter said:

I think it would be a good idea - especially if it was a sticky. There's a big difference to me between "favorite" and "essential" - so having really clear criteria for essential would be helpful for new learners, or people wanting to start learning a different system.

Although if the essential list is really restricted it would probably be (in no specific order) • A RWS deck   and/or  • Thoth   and/or   • a Marseille deck. Because to begin learning, those are almost exclusively the ones used in books. And they might be exclusive - I'm currently focusing the RWS system, which is the one I prefer. I don't have the Thoth or a Marseille style deck, and I don't think I need them at this point (though I would certainly snatch them up if I found them at a thrift store or something for a reasonable price).

So maybe a thread like "You're learning the RWS system? These are our faves based on that system." "Got Thoth? Try these decks next!" "Our favorite Pip decks!" or something similar. I've always researched by googling the deck and reading Aeclectic reviews, but there are so many new decks coming out all the time that aren't on there!

I think there are plenty of "favorite" threads, so mixing up "favorite" with "essential" might be counter-productive? But if the poster described why they list a particular deck as essential, that would be interesting and helpful and different.

In DevonCarter's example, essential for learning RWS, well, my two cents on that would be that there's one deck that is essential for learning RWS. There are lots of decks that can enhance and expand your understanding of the RWS system. But, essential? My opinion would be, just the one, because: you can become an expert in RWS with just the original deck, and I would assert that you can't become a true expert in the RWS system without ever using an original RWS deck. So to me, that is the definition of essential. My choice is up for debate, but I've given my definition of essential and said why I think this deck fits that definition.

Or I might say, I think the Crowley Thoth is essential for the serious student or collector of tarot, because it is an original system that influenced many later decks and became a genre of its own, then I've defined essential and said why I think this deck meets that definition.

I don't think separate threads would be needed for different definitions of essential. It could all come under the same discussion.

Now, my favorite decks that use the RWS system, well, that is a separate topic, and you can find my posts gushing on those decks!!  :))  I have faves that I wouldn't call essential. I may like them, I may prefer them, but they're icing.

Saturn Celeste

OK!  You can vote in the poll here!  Remember, you MUST make all your selections at one, BEFORE you hit the submit button.  If you hit the button, it's too late.  But you can pick all the decks you own on that list!

I've locked the thread so you can discuss on the new one.