Guest Night Shade

How do You Select a Deck To Read?

Guest Night Shade

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=194419

by Aeric

How do you select a deck to read?

I presume most people here own more than one deck. How do you choose which one to read with when the desire arises?

Does the deck you choose depend on your mood? Is there a deck you grab for a specific situation or type of question? Does it depend on time of day or year? Do you just pick randomly? Do you stick with one deck for a long time and put the others away until you grow tired and want a change?

What determines your selection behaviour? No right answers, just interesting responses!

Guest Night Shade

I try to find a deck to suit the question.  If it's a spiritual question, I'll use a deck like Dark Angels or Universal Goddess.  If I'm trying to sort out my feelings, I'll use maybe the Happy Tarot, or a comfort deck like the Hanson-Roberts Tarot, and so on.  I don't think you have to match the deck to the question, it's just something I like to do.  In the end, I guess the deck that calls out to me at the moment is the right one to use.

I tend to go with the deck I feel most drawn to at the time I want to do the reading!

Admittedly, my deck collection is fairly small so it's not normally a problem that I feel drawn to lots of decks at one time.

I tend to go for one which I think will suit the question unless I’m doing an intensive deck study, then it will be that deck for all readings.

I cycle my entire collection one week at a time. It  began as a way to justify what I'd spent but has turned out to be a way to weed the gold from the dross. 

Using the deck for everything and every situation during the week pushes me to be open and pushes the deck to earn its keep. 

If I choose decks for specific reasons I'd never know what it's real worth was. Or how to read any deck in any situation.

12 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

I cycle my entire collection one week at a time. It  began as a way to justify what I'd spent but has turned out to be a way to weed the gold from the dross. 

Using the deck for everything and every situation during the week pushes me to be open and pushes the deck to earn its keep. 

If I choose decks for specific reasons I'd never know what it's real worth was. Or how to read any deck in any situation.

I agree here, it's an excellent habit to keep cycling through decks and using them to answer all types of questions. Of course there are decks better suited for specific questions, but keeping them all in use and accountable really does help weed the gold from the dross. I usually end up realizing I can discard a deck after I realize it's not hardy enough to be put in all situations. Then there are the exceptions, like the Victorian Romantic for example or LXXXI The Magician's deck which are very specific. The VicRom I use for writing and creating narratives. LXXXI I use for specifically spiritual and magical questions etc. But in general, all my decks have to usable all around, if not I cannot justify keeping it. Even it is a rare deck. 

I admit, looking back at what I wrote and thinking on this approach to decks, gives deck using and collecting a utilitarian flavor that is distasteful (at least to me). But the way I see it, how I make peace with myself, is that I don't have unlimited funds to be amassing decks I will not use. If I had unlimited funds and space I would definitely 100% be a fancy deck collector. But I am only a "cobbler" working and living a regular life. So my decks have to conform to how I live and my means. 

Until I have space for amassing and collecting this is my approach. 😊