Eric

Meditation

Eric

I find it interesting and strange how n some days I can meditate and right away my third eye starts buzzing and my sense of self hones right in and I calm don breathing and can focus my mind up to my third eye. Then for some reason, on other days, there is no concentration. My third may start to tingle, but then it goes away and my mind races all over the world. And what's funny about that, it's the random things that I think about fro some Eason. Things that happened 10 years ago. makes me wonder if that's what happened on that particular day 10 years ago.

I know full well the brain is supposed to be active like that. It's normal for the brain to move, make mental movies, thoughts of whatever. Meditation isn't about nothing, but when "nothing" is roaming around up there and it's just the eye buzzing, that's what it all about.

I mediate twice a day myself. when I first get up, and before I go to bed. Somedays, it's just to noisey each time, nothing is going to focus, and I wonder why that happens.

Who else is familiar with what I'm saying, and do you use let it happen, knowing this is normal?

stephanelli

I meditate too, not daily, but I know exactly what you mean.

I accept my meditation as it comes.  Some days that means I spent most of the time reminding my brain what meditation is, other times I just slip into the sweet spot and although there are thoughts, I can just 'notice' them but not get caught up in them.

I think it's just normal, particularly if you have the lifestyle where you juggle lots of different things.

Emilija

I use an app called Insight Timer— all sorts of good meditation stuff there. I was taught that if you have any thoughts coming, just let them drift through and out like a cloud. That helps me.

Eric

Exactly

I think what you said said is all part of proper meditation. Let the thoughts in and flow and let them go.

TheAriesKnowing

Notes taken. I struggle with this too. Some days I’m sharp and others  a vibrational mess and struggle to read the cards out of no where🤦🏾‍♀️ 

lucksmith

From my experience it is also common that the "quality" can differ from one day to the next in a big way. I got into just accepting that it ain't working out exactly the same each day, or said in other words, that each day seems to come with its own quality of meditation and it still seems to work fine. I just assume that subconscious will know what is going on and uses the "slot" of meditation in the best manner for the day. It also does not seem to have any effect on the quality of the next day, i just allow it to be a somewhat unsteady experience. That seems to work out perfectly fine for me.

and_it_spoke

Sure I'm a little late to the party, but...

Eric, I can absolutely sympathize. There are times when I close my eyes and I am "there". Other days it nothing but monkey mind.

I've found that sometimes switching up a method of meditation can help. If breathing just isn't getting it done, add a mantra. And if none of it is working, try to take a more vipassana approach. - acknowledge the distracted train of thought, appreciate what it is then send it onit way.

We're never in the same part of journey when we meditate, so utilizing different tools fromt he toolbox is important from time to time.

Eric

I'm glad this was brought back because I've learned a lot since this time. 

One is breathing correctly, from the gut on both inhales and exhales.

The other is to let the mind go where it wants to, dont resist that. And I believe allowing the mind to go where it wants is the most important.

Edited by Eric
I have an edit button!

Symph

The hardest part about meditation for me?  Getting myself to do it.  lol

Whenever I do it's usually pretty good but I am allllways talking myself out of doing it, convincing myself that there is something more important to do or it's just not a good time.  And yet when I actually do it, I do indeed feel better afterward, even if its only for an hour or two.  Maybe that's the problem, not believing that the gains are going to compound over time or something....  

JustPeachy

I meditate every morning after I've had my tea, usually anywhere between 10-20mins depending on what I have going for the day and if I oversleep. ☺️ I've found that it really ebbs and flows and like @and_it_spoke mentioned, switching it up can make a difference. I started out simply listening to my clock ticking and did that for a long time. Then I found an app called Atmosphere where I could mix sounds like water running or wind/leaves/birds etc. which works really well. And here lately, I've been listening to guided meditations that I've found on YouTube and I move between all of these depending on how I'm feeling that day. Personally, I never expect anything from my meditation except to clear my mind. When thoughts flow, I let everything pass by and return focus on whatever sound I'm hearing. Occasionally something really strong will hit me and that's a spark into action for me. That's the really good intuitive stuff so I'll stop and act on it. 

Arania

Haven't been able to quietly meditate in a while,mostly due to my chronic health issues. I can't sit in the lotus position anymore,or even on the ground, so I have to try lying in the bed and most days my chronic  fatigue means I fall asleep. 🙄 Which is annoying for my Buddhist practice. I will have to try with music again but I fear I'll fall asleep as well.

For me the most important thing is to quiet the mind and reduce thoughts to a minimum,and if they are there, just let them drift and not hold on to them.

Symph
14 minutes ago, Arania said:

Haven't been able to quietly meditate in a while,mostly due to my chronic health issues. I can't sit in the lotus position anymore,or even on the ground, so I have to try lying in the bed and most days my chronic  fatigue means I fall asleep. 🙄 Which is annoying for my Buddhist practice. I will have to try with music again but I fear I'll fall asleep as well.

For me the most important thing is to quiet the mind and reduce thoughts to a minimum,and if they are there, just let them drift and not hold on to them.

I have almost fallen asleep while meditating so many times, it's quite hard to do when fatigued for sure!