modern oracle

Out of Body Experiences

Hi Friends,

I am keen to start an open discussion on the topic of Out of Body Experiences or OBE's. These types of events can feel very spiritual in nature, and I believe we can only begin to understand them, and our encompassing spiritual nature, if we can openly discuss them. The more I dive into this topic this more I realise that the commonality of this type of experience is unprecedented.  Have you had an OBE or know someone close to you that has? Has this had an effect on your spiritual beliefs?

The first time I experienced being out of my body, it happened while I had a deck of Tarot cards in my hand. 

While getting acquainted with my (then new) Tarot deck on night, I stepped outside onto the balcony for a bit of fresh air and to escape the commotion going on in the living room. I sat down, closed my eyes, took a deep breath and began to shuffle the cards. With my eyes closed I seemed to notice a point, at the top of my head, that felt 'lit up' in some way. Still with my eyes closed I tilted my head back, as if to look up to the sky. It was with great surprise that I noticed, metaphysically, a thin golden thread, attached to that point on my head and heading straight on up into the darkness of the night sky. 

A simple thought of "I wonder where that goes" and I was out. In confusion I then realised I was suspended somewhere above my physical body. I noticed that I was looking down on myself sitting on the step, the cards still in my hands. Curious still at the golden thread, I ascended, following the lead it's lead up into the night. I began to see a birdseye view of my property, then the street, then the neighbourhood and the city, the shape of the coastline where it met the ocean, all unfolding as I rose higher and higher. The feeling accelerated and I soon found myself looking down at our little earth which was serenely floating away into the distance. A mass shot by my side and then the moon was also diminishing in size. The entire time I was looking back towards my starting point, rather than in the direction I was heading, but I knew the direction was paved in a straight line by that golden thread. Before I knew it planetary bodies were swooping past me as I was drawn closer to the edge of the solar system. Our sun, in the distance, was growing fainter, the space around me darker. In a instant of slight panic I thought "Woah, maybe that's far enough now" and Bang. I opened my eyes and looked around at the balcony I was sitting on, the street below, and the Tarot cards in my hand. Back in my body.

Has anyone every experienced anything like this? 

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and helping me in the quest of unlocking the metaphysical mysteries of our Spirituality.

Yes, I have had them. They did not start as something spiritual though. I was in my early teens and was going through a hard time when they started happening. Since then they have happened under other (not unpleasant) circumstances too, and I have also induced them myself as a form of astral travel. But it’s not something that I’m actively doing anymore. I lean much more toward vision work and journeying as that has felt much more rewarding and nourishing to me. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, modern oracle said:

The first time I experienced being out of my body, it happened while I had a deck of Tarot cards in my hand.

wow, lucky you for such a peaceful first time.

i started getting them after i was assaulted (and had an NDE) in ~2007.

a few months after that, i'd be walking around in this weird (i can't explain it, dream-like) limbo.

and i freaked out because i saw my own body sleeping in my bed when i returned to my bedroom. i thought i'd just FREAKING DIED.

ETA: i think the NDE made my soul's attachment to my physical body sort of wobbly (like yeah you can still glue it back on, but it's never going to be the same, you know).

Edited by PageOfCups

21 minutes ago, PageOfCups said:

wow, lucky you for such a peaceful first time.

i started getting them after i was assaulted (and had an NDE) in ~2007.

a few months after that, i'd be walking around in this weird (i can't explain it, dream-like) limbo.

and i freaked out because i saw my own body sleeping in my bed when i returned to my bedroom. i thought i'd just FREAKING DIED.

ETA: i think the NDE made my soul's attachment to my physical body sort of wobbly (like yeah you can still glue it back on, but it's never going to be the same, you know).

I think what you are describing is not uncommon among people having their first Out of Body experience. I would go as far as say that probably most people have them during traumatic or really uncomfortable events at first. I know I have heard many people describing having it during surgery, and I have had that myself. It was at a point where I was losing a lot of blood and my blood pressure dropped. I remember telling the anaesthesiologist that I was drifting away. And he very calmly told me that it was because my blood pressure had gone down. He also said “This nurse is going to go run to a nearby room to fetch a medicine to stop your bleeding, and in the mean time I’m going to inject you in the chest with a substance that will increase your heart rate”. Apparently they had already tried 4 different medicines to stop the bleeding but nothing had worked (though I only learned that after the surgery was done). So they had to go get one that they didn’t normally use. Thankfully that one worked, and I remember how the injection jolted me back into the body. The effect was almost immediate since they injected it into the chest (they did not inject it in the heart because I still had a pulse, they just wanted it to reach the heart as soon as possible so they that’s why they

didnt put it in the hand or the arm). I guess that would count as a traumatic event. I know I asked them during the surgery (while feeling dizzy) how low my blood pressure was and how much blood I had lost, but they wouldn’t reply. They just said calmly that everything would be fine. That’s when I knew it was bad 😆

Posted (edited)

It's something I always wanted it to happen, but unfortunately I was unsuccessful.

I don't know why, maybe I didn't use the right method for me or didn't try enough, wasn't diligent enough or something. 🙁

Edited by Decan

4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I guess that would count as a traumatic event. I know I asked them during the surgery (while feeling dizzy) how low my blood pressure was and how much blood I had lost, but they wouldn’t reply. They just said calmly that everything would be fine. That’s when I knew it was bad 😆

Yes, I think that would indeed count as a “traumatic event”, as I’m assuming that was not supposed to happen? (I had tumour surgery and I can say it was... Uneventful. LOL.)

And I got to keep my “spiritual innocence” for another 3–4 years until my assault (not only did I get the cliché life-flashing-before-my-eyes, I was so near death I actually reached that state of peacefulness where I felt ZERO anger/hate toward anybody, because when you’re that near death everything is petty).

Do you guys make a distinction between “OBE” and “astral projection”, though?

I like to say “OBE” is when you don’t do it on purpose.

And then “astral projection” is when you do it on purpose and you have total control over the experience.

Like an “OBE” would be your normal dream whereas “astral projection” is the equivalent of a lucid dream?

Or am I wrong?

1 minute ago, PageOfCups said:

Yes, I think that would indeed count as a “traumatic event”, as I’m assuming that was not supposed to happen? (I had tumour surgery and I can say it was... Uneventful. LOL.)

And I got to keep my “spiritual innocence” for another 3–4 years until my assault (not only did I get the cliché life-flashing-before-my-eyes, I was so near death I actually reached that state of peacefulness where I felt ZERO anger/hate toward anybody, because when you’re that near death everything is petty).

Do you guys make a distinction between “OBE” and “astral projection”, though?

I like to say “OBE” is when you don’t do it on purpose.

And then “astral projection” is when you do it on purpose and you have total control over the experience.

Like an “OBE” would be your normal dream whereas “astral projection” is the equivalent of a lucid dream?

Or am I wrong?

I agree with you on the distinction between OBE and astral travel. That’s how I would define it too.