Joe

A New Deck Idea

Somebody should come along and make a deck that is the perfect blend of the Marseilles Major Arcanas and the Pamela Coleman Smith-Waite minor cards. With bold colors, numbers displayed and be sure to capture the essence of traditional tarot meanings. 

Hello. 

Posted (edited)

Somebody has.
It doesn't have the woodcut look, but the pips feature small illustrations that are in accord with RWS, along with the proper number of suit objects.
https://www.ciromarchetti.com/tarot-decoratif

TBH, it's not a reader for me, as I use different systems for TdM/pip Tarots, and GD-based Tarots, so I find using it to be somewhat distracting. But he did a bang-up job with it! The colors are bold, and it might be what you're looking for. If not, I'm sure there are others out there, as well.

Edited by katrinka

Posted (edited)

The Tarot of the Bastard is a blend between the Marseille and the RW for the pips.

I consider it as something possibly very interesting for me because in my country the standard is the Marseille even if I always felt uncomfortable with the pips.

ETA: the Majors don't show exactly the old Marseille that we all know, but it's all like (at least for me). Otherwise with the particular style of the old Marseille a blend with the RW would be very difficult (with regard to the style/art as a whole).

Edited by Decan

Posted (edited)

Also, I just remembered a deck that I considered in the past (while I didn’t buy it): the Marseille Cat Tarot

It is a Marseille deck (with cats as a central theme) with traditional pips, but there are discret hints to the RW minors in the pips (through little sceneries).

Edited by Decan

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Decan said:

The Tarot of the Bastard is a blend between the Marseille and the RW for the pips.

I think that one has some cards from one of the later Etteilla packs, too.
Another one that would drive me bonkers. A lot of people seem to like it, though.

Ah, here we go. Etteilla and RWS. https://www.etsy.com/listing/121041618/the-deck-of-the-bastard-the-most-unique

Edited by katrinka

16 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I think that one has some cards from one of the later Etteilla packs, too.

Yes absolutely, and some other old decks probably too for the majors and the courts. Actually it is a « bastardization » 🙂

I've never really seen the entire Sola Busca.

And I have seen the Ciromarchetti, on Etsy. They lifted somehow the Eteilla Thoth for the Arcana's. I guess the copyright expired or they changed them just enough. I think they cost a lot of money though. I haven't seen the other ones either, the Tarot of the Bastard. But thank you all for the recommendations. I'll look into them.