katrinka
Posted (edited)

This is a reproduction of a 1923 deck by Isobel Field, Robert Louis Stevenson's stepdaughter. She also has an autobiography called This Life I've Loved.

I've also seen mention of Teulia cards with an 1899 copyright to Isobel Strong (Strong was her surname at that time), but I think she redrew at least some of the cards for the 1923 version. The people cards look very 1920's. No. 2 has finger waves and No. 4 has one of those faux bobs, with the hair gathered into a chignon. I've seen this hairstyle on a lot of women in silent movies.But iIn 1899, people didn't look like this. The men generally had more facial hair, and the ideal for women was the Gibson girl in a high collar and a big, poofy pompadour.

teuilapeople.thumb.jpg.dd0a804165030817530901a5baa58507.jpg

Those people cards are other people, the sitter is represented by 45, Fate, a white-robed figure pulling aside a curtain:

fate.thumb.jpg.b44ef93f14aac4bf6d289fe5888fb44f.jpg

The deck comes with 13 pages  of instructions printed on 7 cards. You get meanings, suggested meanings, and a 3 + 25 card spread. You can read the salient information from LWB here.

teuilascotchcollie.jpg.1544b1923c0dba3f20c3b397184e4ee0.jpg

" To do a reading, have the person make a mental wish while shuffling the cards, then cut the deck twice to make three piles on the table. The top card on each deck defines the outlook."

Oh, dear. Someone is going to make trouble at work:

teuila3piles.jpg.cf1c3cf63c636819533f2a973b315b66.jpg

" Have the querent put the cards back, reassemble the pack, cut once. The reader takes the pack and lays out five cards face down in a row on the table. Discards 5. Deals 5 more on top of the other five. Discards 5. Keeps going until all the deck is dealt. There are now five divisions of five cards each."

The backs are lovely:

teuilapile1.jpg.719d475f0364da99095cd777dd5ffbe4.jpg

And here is the full spread:

teuilafullboard.thumb.jpg.2d28bb9a448bfb3aaa19d75aef4d40d4.jpg

Teuila cards are available at The Cartomancer.

Edited by katrinka

Flaxen

They look fascinating @katrinka. The techniques and meanings look fairly straightforward for people already familiar with Lenormand/Sibilla/Kipper decks. 

On my wish list it goes!

Decan
Posted (edited)

They are very nice! Elegant, vintage, and I don't know exactly why but I find that they also have something "gypsy". Great cardstock otherwise!

Oops, I would have hoped to don't read the last sentence, thinking that this deck is a rare OOP forever unavailable, but no... hmm

On my wish list!!

Edited by Decan

Decan
Posted (edited)

Oh Gosh I snapped for this little one (while I tried hard to find good reasons to don't, like: Decan you have enough decks, will you use this other one, and so on!!).

I also added the Wüst Playing Cards because they are really for my taste (and I ogled at them for a while now), otherwise learning playing cards is always something in a corner somehow.

Edited by Decan

bastetly
Posted (edited)

Very tempting little tarts!  Yep on the WL!   

Edited by bastetly

bastetly

It's on its way  LOL   The devils made me do it

🙈🙈🙈

One thing that instantly resonated was the cardbacks.  It looks Polynesian... 

Decan
3 minutes ago, bastetly said:

It's on its way  LOL   The devils made me do it

🙈🙈🙈

One thing that instantly resonated was the cardbacks.  It looks Polynesian... 

Oh amazing!

I don't think you'll regret, personally I snapped pretty quickly, so... :classic_biggrin:

bastetly
33 minutes ago, Decan said:

Oh amazing!

I don't think you'll regret, personally I snapped pretty quickly, so... :classic_biggrin:

You snapped  😄  Do you have them already then Decan?  I will have to wait several weeks for delivery (fm China?)

Decan

No I don’t have them, actually I caved just yesterday, so I’ll have to wait too, several weeks maybe!

Decan
Posted (edited)

@katrinka since I am going to wait several weeks before receiving my little deck I am already in the process of learning the meanings of these cards.

Concerning your spread it's really too bad that you didn't pull the Ship (37) because with the Sun that you pulled the interpretation would have been that your wish will come true; but with the Sun it's really fine! On the 4rd line probably things will turn out in a better way that you expect, or there is a kind of protection and possibilities to ask for help (health is clearly protected in my opinion).

I think nevertheless that we can suspect the man on the second row to don't be trustful with the Snake above his head (if it is someone in position to make a promise for example); blond hair but maybe just someone with a fair complexion, here connected to your family or someone from your private circle (2nd row). I thought as well as someone with worries or torments (difficulties in his head) more that ill-intentioned, I don't know.

The woman on the third row looks a bit dangerous with the Dagger just below, it looks like she has it in her hands (she is probably connected to your work). Fortunately the Sun shines on the 4rd row!!

Edited by Decan

stellar4

I was lucky enough to find a cheap 1923 copy on Ebay years ago and it is a deck that I love and use frequently. It reads like a dream, and the illustrations are beautiful.

There is something very special about this little deck; it gives the impression of being a very simple and amusing fortune telling set but there are hidden depths.

My copy has a Red Cross rather than the Lifebelt that seems to be the norm in every other copy I have seen - I have often wondered why.

I am very glad to see it back in print and I think I will order myself one to use out of the house or with other people.

katrinka
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 12:49 AM, Decan said:

@katrinka since I am going to wait several weeks before receiving my little deck I am already in the process of learning the meanings of these cards.

Concerning your spread it's really too bad that you didn't pull the Ship (37) because with the Sun that you pulled the interpretation would have been that your wish will come true; but with the Sun it's really fine! On the 4rd line probably things will turn out in a better way that you expect, or there is a kind of protection and possibilities to ask for help (health is clearly protected in my opinion)

Thank you, and a bit of feedback -
I'm kind of glad that the Ship didn't show up that time, as I didn't have any strong wishes or desires. Better for it to show up when I actually need it!
Health has been pretty good, considering I don't bend over backwards trying to do healthy things. I do stay away from fast food (I don't like it) and I get exercise in the course of a normal day, but I run on energy drinks at work - and like a few drinks and some smokes on my own time once I've got the housework out of the way, so I'm probably lucky.

I think nevertheless that we can suspect the man on the second row to don't be trustful with the Snake above his head (if it is someone in position to make a promise for example); blond hair but maybe just someone with a fair complexion, here connected to your family or someone from your private circle (2nd row). I thought as well as someone with worries or torments (difficulties in his head) more that ill-intentioned, I don't know.

I haven't yet figured out who this is. I'm sure he exists, there's always stuff going on behind the scenes in small towns. Maybe I'll do another spread and try to pin him down. The bees do show him as connected to my work.

The woman on the third row looks a bit dangerous with the Dagger just below, it looks like she has it in her hands (she is probably connected to your work). Fortunately the Sun shines on the 4rd row!!

That's actually a dinner plate, lol. She's a maid and she heralds a visitor.
No one has been here during that timeframe except a guy wanting to know if I needed my grass cut. (I don't do it myself with temps from 90-100+F). I already have someone who comes and does that. But the maid captures the service aspect and she's by the wheel: change. He wanted me to change my lawn guy, so it makes sense.

Not bad for a first read!

Edited by katrinka

Decan

Thanks! I need to think more down-to-earth, it's part of my problems (more generally too, lol)

Otherwise with this deck I looked at the cards a bit too quickly like we do it in a GT with Lenormand -with the card above and below- while we likely have to read the cards in line first here.

This comes from this sentence in the instructions " When 11 touches any card (on either side, top or bottom) it intensifies it for good."; hence I thought this opens the door to read the cards vertically too, while it's not sure at all (but for the Sun and the Devil all the cards around -as well top or bottom- can be influenced).

I will do better readings later, it's too soon, I even don't have the cards! Impatience is always a bad thing.

katrinka

No, it isn't. You're "preparing the soil"! 🙂

bastetly

Got the cards very fast!  Came fm Drive thru Cards in Georgia.  Nice bridge-size and a roomy box (poker).  Glad I went for it 🙂  I wanted to say that I am reading the book that katrinka linked to by the author, and am finding it to be very interesting, w an engaging writing style.  So read the book too!  This Life I've Loved by Isobel Field

Decan

Great! I'm still waiting them but I bookmarked this book for later.

katrinka

It's a very nice book - nothing heavy or profound, no real suspense, but not boring, either. It's like a little vacation in some ways, and like sitting at Grandma's knee in others.
And it's not often that we get these kinds of insights on the people who created these vintage decks! Often, we don't even have a name.
So there's something kind of special about all of this!

bastetly
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Decan said:

Great! I'm still waiting them but I bookmarked this book for later.

Only to be lost and forgotten among the 1 MILLION bookmarks already stored, amma right?  LOL

10 hours ago, katrinka said:

It's a very nice book - nothing heavy or profound, no real suspense, but not boring, either. It's like a little vacation in some ways, and like sitting at Grandma's knee in others.
And it's not often that we get these kinds of insights on the people who created these vintage decks! Often, we don't even have a name.
So there's something kind of special about all of this!

🤓🧐🤠🤠

Edited by bastetly
It's a terrible habit and hard to break

Decan
2 hours ago, bastetly said:

Only to be lost and forgotten among the 1 MILLION bookmarks already stored, amma right?  LOL

Oh no, oh no :classic_smile: when things are bookmarked it's not lost!!

bastetly

Not lost perhaps but may be forgotten......  anyway I hope you remember to read it 🙂

You're the Schmid stork now!   🧐    (she says green w envy)  

Decan
On 8/10/2019 at 1:44 AM, bastetly said:

Not lost perhaps but may be forgotten......  anyway I hope you remember to read it 🙂

You're the Schmid stork now!   🧐    (she says green w envy)  

I think I'll read it (for the atmosphere around these little vintage cards)! Yes the Schmid stork! :classic_smile:

Decan
Posted (edited)

That's it! My Teuila cards are there, and I love them!

The Wüst Bourgeois playing cards were in the same package too, gorgeous deck (same quality than the Teuila cards)!

I'm happy with my purchase, these Teuilas are really for my taste! Great! 🧡

img_0211.jpg img_0210.jpg

Edited by Decan

Decan

For the Teuila cards if I follow the instructions and the way to use them I began to find interesting things.

To look at the cards vertically seems as well very interesting (they talk about that in the examples with the cards, it's not available online though). This requires some practice like everything!

I really love the art here!

bastetly

While doing a search for Teuila Cards images for another post, I  found these images as well.  One has slightly different renderings of the cards, while others have a keyword or phrase written in a lovely handwriting that I could not dare duplicate!  First, the red ginger blossom, teuila, the national flower of Samoa

spacer.pngg

spacer.png

A different version, source unknown??

spacer.png

spacer.png

This listing:

https://www.gothicroseantiques.com/RareTeuilaFortuneTellingCardsc1923.html

And this strange card lol !

Decan

Interesting!

I didn’t know there is a different version for the Teuila cards.

And haha for the strange card! :biggrin:

Edited by Decan