Skip to content

Decks That Don't Get Enough Love

Featured Replies

Some decks just don't get that much attention, they fly under the radar, don't get hyped. Everyone is oohing over a Bohemian Gothic or a Wild Unknown, and this deck is left in the corner unloved.

 

So what's your favourite underrated deck?

 

I really like the Courtney Davis Celtic. I love his art and it's a beautiful deck, it was the first (and so far only) unillustrated minors deck I got on with in any way. But compared to it's illustrious stablemates like the Alchemical and the Greenwood, it's got relatively little attention and you used to be able to pick it up second hand for peanuts.

SAKKI-SAKKI FOREVER, i cannot tell you how much i love this deck and how wildly surprising and inventive and full of love and vibrance and energy i find every single card in it.  I've come to think of it rapidly as an old friend and a constant traveling companion.  But I never hear it talked about  😞

 

https://sakki-sakki.com/tarot-main/

 

 

On 8/29/2019 at 10:31 PM, ilweran said:

I really like the Courtney Davis Celtic.

Oh it was one of my first decks - yes, secondhand, though it wasn't quite for peanuts, a reasonable price. A lovely deck. I think I haven't used it enough because at the time the pip minors were too opaque to me, but now I've been dabbling in TdM for a while I might be able to make more sense of it.

There are so many decks available now and everyone is always ready for the new ‘flavour of the month’. It makes me think that there is a huge amount of decks that just can’t compete against all the ‘noise’. 

 

Some of my older decks are my favourites! Dame Fortune’s Wheel is very underrated - possibly because it’s not RWS based. It reads brilliantly though. 

The 5 cents Tarot by Madam Clara doesn't get enough love.

 

giphy.gif

@Decan thanks for pointing this one out! i think I managed to miss the 5 Cent tarot on kickstarter. I'm not a fan of her other decks, but the combination of fetching card design, custom matte finishing, and tarot cloth along with the deck are a really nice selling point, and I just pre-ordered the deck from Etsy. The sale's going on through the 15th if anyone's interested: https://www.etsy.com/listing/711990054/pre-order-the-5-cent-tarot-by-madam

4 hours ago, bookshop said:

@Decan thanks for pointing this one out! i think I managed to miss the 5 Cent tarot on kickstarter. I'm not a fan of her other decks, but the combination of fetching card design, custom matte finishing, and tarot cloth along with the deck are a really nice selling point, and I just pre-ordered the deck from Etsy. The sale's going on through the 15th if anyone's interested: https://www.etsy.com/listing/711990054/pre-order-the-5-cent-tarot-by-madam

Great!

Not anyone's taste apparently, and particularly on the forum, but I still find it well done and unconventional (of course it is!).

In my opinion it is the Morgan Greer for this century, but people are still blind!! 🥴

Posting this I'm almost sure that they will be some comments on the de-enabling thread (the opposite one of "all singing all dancing" thread), life is cruel! 🤕

Edited by Decan

Hi

I love my Morgan Greer and it is a deck I return to everytime.  Other decks come along and I am drawn away - but this and my plain, ordinary Rider Waite are the decks I always come home to!!

My one-and-only beginner-friendly RWS clone deck has always been the Sharman-Caselli. The cardstock is nothing fancy, but the images are so easy to read and beautiful.

  • Author

@Decan I picked up the Morgan Greer cheap in Glastonbury on my hen do. Did some very drunk readings with it and it read amazingly well! I'm quite fond of it.

 

@alyce The Sharman-Caselli is a lovely deck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.