What is your absolute go-to Tarot deck?

EmpyreanKnight

EmpyreanKnight

If you know that you have to perform a very important reading that needs to be extremely accurate, which deck would you reach for? If push comes to shove and the clock is ticking, which would you choose to make your Hail Mary pass? It can be a deck you feel a very strong rapport with or which has a high batting average, or maybe it has given you very clear and straightforward readings.

EmpyreanKnight

On my part, if it's a reading that is personally significant to me, I always choose the Thoth Tarot because of the very high degree of accuracy I get. I have a strong bond with him, tho he's a bit skittish around other people except for family members. So yes, it has become my personal/family deck.

When I have to make an important reading for others tho, I always reach out for the Centennial. She is always on the mark too, and others have marvelled at the things I've managed to unearth with her. I've always felt this warm affinity with the imagery of the Centennial, and I guess that helped a lot with the ease and virtuosity with which I can make her sing.

When I need a strong workhorse, the Original Rider Waite rises up to the challenge. I've subjected him to serial readings but he never flags in intensity, and is always raring for more even if I've already exhausted myself. He seems to be the friendliest to the public, and also has the distinction of being the second deck I've ever purchased when I was in college.

How about you, what are your go-to decks?

Shadowscape for me is my go to deck...if i need a reboot then rider waite. Both give clear accurate readings rider waite feels more literal though

EmpyreanKnight

Medieval Scapini is my go-to deck.

I have the Medieval Scapini set, and the cards and the art and the backs and everything in it are utterly, breathtakingly gorgeous.

Btw, right now I mostly use the Barbara Walker, which is slowly shaping up to ensconce itself among my top 5.

Medieval Scapini is my go-to deck.

I have the Medieval Scapini set, and the cards and the art and the backs and everything in it are utterly, breathtakingly gorgeous.

Btw, right now I mostly use the Barbara Walker, which is slowly shaping up to ensconce itself among my top 5.

What I love about that deck is that Luigi Scapini rendered the depictions without knowing anything about tarot. I'm amazed how much he got right! That said, the deck provides some really interesting variations. The five of cups, for example: I can't tell you how many times I've read people with this deck where there is literally an issue of illness and/or drawing up of a will, which is never how I read this card in other decks. Similarly, the 8 of swords conjures similar issues, plus even surgeries for me (and surgery I would normally associate with the Ace of Swords in other decks). In other decks I would associate the 8 of swords with confinement, restriction, fear of movement, isolation, agoraphobia, etc. But every time it's come to me with this deck, though--and almost with a literal interpretation of the depiction--it's been spot on. So I continue to admire this deck, after many years of using it.

Page of Ghosts

The Centennial RWS would be my go-to deck. I wish I had more of them but this one is the most familiar to me. It's a very dependable and trustworthy deck that gives solid readings. In time I hope to build this sort of rapport with some of the other decks in my collection. The Thoth is a favourite too, but the regular sized edition is a bit small so I plan on getting the big version of The Big Guy (my nickname for the Thoth) so it can truly shine, and if it's a bit too large to shuffle I could always lay out the reading with the big cards after using the small one ;D

If it's personal, either Slow Holler or Thea's Tarot depending on if the issue was action-oriented or intrapersonal. Quite a few times I've pulled from both!

If it's for someone else, easily the Wild Unknown. It's my workhorse deck for sure.

istandonbusbenches

For me, I look to the Lo Scarabeo Crystal Tarot. It's heavily based on RW, but gives me better intuitive reads. I absolutely love how the reversals if some of the cards, even Pips, give me nuanced reads.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kat Black's Golden. It speaks VERY clearly to me, from day one.

I just did a reading for myself with my oldest copy of it (I have, er, too many) and later took some time to put the cards in order and repair the battered edges, feeling that the cardstock is starting to get mushy. And it was wonderful, like visiting with an old friend one hasn't seen in many a year, and catching up.

My "go to" deck is Clover Tarot by Nika Berne.

It is a modern deck based on RWS tradition, but with new twists. I like the art and the colors, I like the way she draws women, and some of the cards are such a stunning depiction of the traditional interpretation of the card, that it leaves me dreamy everytime (the Nine of Pents ! the Empress ! the Seven of Swords ! The Emperor ! the Queen of Pents ! etc...)

For me it reads wiith fluidity, both thanks to the solid RWS tradition behind the cards, and to the images wich lend themselves to intuitive interpretation.

Very close followers are the Victorian Romantic tarot, the Druid Craft tarot, the Bohemian Gothic tarot and the Albano Waite tarot.

But I like to read with all my decks, so they are in constant rotation, and I really end up with a LOT of favourites in the end (too numerous to name here...)

Agree with the OP that the Thoth has the best accuracy, Tarot-wise.

Often, though, my Hail Mary pass is done with Lenormand, Kippers, or runes.

I think I would have to say that the Röhrig Tarot is my usual "go to" deck. Immediately behind that would by either my original RWS (with the gingham backs) or my Universal Waite. The RWS was my first deck, and I have studied and used it extensively. The Röhrig Tarot was my second deck and it has also always given excellent readings.

EmpyreanKnight

Agree with the OP that the Thoth has the best accuracy, Tarot-wise.

Often, though, my Hail Mary pass is done with Lenormand, Kippers, or runes.

I've often heard that for mundane, everyday matters, Lenormands give straightforward, no-frills, no-holds-barred answers. I really must deeply study them some time.

istandonbusbenches

For me, I look to the Lo Scarabeo Crystal Tarot. It's heavily based on RW, but gives me better intuitive reads. I absolutely love how the reversals if some of the cards, even Pips, give me nuanced reads.

I've decided to add an honorable mention:

The Healing Light Tarot. I've been using this one quite a lot, lately and get fantastic reads for other people. Love it!

Maggie Gordon

Pagan Cats. I've been using this deck since the beginning and understand it more than any of my other decks. We work well together.  :)

Me too! Pagan Cats is like coming home.

EmpyreanKnight

I just noticed that no one vouched for a Marseille as their go-to deck. That's quite odd, since I know some local readers who unquestionably prefer it.