Comparative Tarot 11 or 8: Strength/Lust

Rose Lalonde

Rose Lalonde

Strength/Lust

(NOTE: I know the placement of Strength and Justice is an issue. I went with majority rule based on the 3 decks I've been posting: TdM and Thoth have Strength/Lust at 11, while RWS has it at 8. Feel free to discuss it.

There's also some discussion about order in the Justice post.)

Please see the discussion thread if you'd like some background about the study group.

As a visual start, here are the TdM Pierre Madenié, the RWS, and Thoth. (You don't have to compare your deck with these, though, if you have another deck in mind.)

If you'd like to add a small image of the card you're discussing that would be great. If not we can google it.

You can write about the same deck someone else did.

Feedback on comments about this card are welcome here! For general questions and suggestions, please use the discussion thread.

14vg1ozu.h21.jpg

Green Witch Tarot

Victorian Fairy Tarot

Strength at 8

Okay. So because I have all RWS variants, all of my Strength cards are at #8. This first one is from the Victorian Fairy Tarot, and the card has actually been renamed Fortitude, which I love. It has a different connotation than "strength," one that includes the idea of endurance and carrying on through adversity. The female beekeeper in this card is older, too, which I also love. And while she may have been afraid of her bee companions at first, she has learned to peacefully coexist with them and wait patiently for their bounty. If she occasionally gets stung, well, the stings hurt much less than they used to, and are just small reminders of what she once feared.

Fortitude_8_VFT.jpg.bd5ff556bae58fa6a1e499a89c34b2ab.jpg

Strength at 8

This Strength card is from the Green Witch Tarot. It was one of the first cards I saw from this deck, and I immediately loved it. There is so much wisdom in the aged face of the woman in this card, and she walks so peacefully with the lion, as if she doesn't fear it at all. I also love the leather belt juxtaposed with all the beautiful stitching in her skirt - this woman is practical and no-nonsense, but also has a deep appreciation of the beautiful things in life.

Strength_8_GWT.jpg.62267e0f0058ce87c941542e8a4dab8b.jpg