Tarot de Marseille

Aldor44

Hey all!

I need some guidance 😄 

I want to get my 1st Marseille deck to try and work mor eintuitively with the pips - cause I gathered that in these decks the pips have no pictures.

I know nothing of this system-or the decks

Is this system different in reading from the RWS?

and could you reccomand a good deck/edition I could get- I don't think I want more then 1 of these decks- so I would like the nicest /most useful deck to get 😄

Thanks!!

There's the Yoav ben Dov CBD tarot deck. (You can see more about this deck on his site. Ben Dov has since passed away, sadly, but the deck is still for sale, and the book to go with it is still in print.)

And there's also the Tarot de Maria Celia - https://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Maria-Celia-Lynyrd-jym-Narcisco/dp/1572818808

I'm only at the start of my Marseille tarot journey, so I'm sure you'll have some more recommendations from other more experienced members. 🙂

This depends on whether you prefer a facsimile, or a cleaned-up version.
For the former, see here: https://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/index.html
For the latter, see here: http://www.tarot-history.com/boutique/index.php

Also have a look at the now-classic Grimaud Tarot de Marseilles, the most commonly-used version in France.

There are many others, but this is a start - all these editions are available new.

For the Tarot de Marseille, seriously, go for a facsimile reproduction if you like the antique look of the cards. They are replicas of the originals that were printed using images carved from wood blocks then hand colored. If you are captivated by the skills of the artists who carved the original blocks used to print the decks, and the hand coloring that made each deck unique you might prefer them. Part of the mystique of the cards is that they possess a quality that is reflective of a less techno-perfect era. There are several available. Most of the ones you will find on the above site will be printed on card stock similar to that that was originally used, with squared corners.

If you prefer more "coloring inside the lines" the modern reproductions that have been meticulously and artfully restored without the inevitable imperfections that come with images carved from wood may appeal to you. The colors are more vibrant and the lines of the images are clean. Each artist who restored their chosen originals did an exceptional job of preserving the expressions on the faces and details of each image.

Since you only want one deck you should ultimately choose one that appeals to your artistic sense because it should please your eye.

As to an appropriate book to enlighten you about reading the Marseille tarot, you should consider Caitlin Matthews' "Untold Tarot" that includes both background history as well as meanings and methods.

23 minutes ago, tag Jorrit said:

One more thought. This video might give you some clues as you embark on the Marseille tarot road.

Thank you!

As I'm reading through the thread, there's information here on the facsimile decks (photocopies of original 16th-19th century decks) or modern reproductions/restored decks (copies of those older decks with lines redrawn and more vivid colours). For example, the Yoav ben Dov deck is a restored deck. 

There's some great information here - just read through the sites to see which type of deck you'd prefer. I think - but perhaps someone here can clarify - that which type of deck you choose won't affect how you read. It's mostly about aesthetics. (ETA: I see I've just repeated tag Jorrit's reply to you!)

Edited by Starlight

But it's really difficult to tell someone else what they should like :classic_smile:

What did you think of the different decks when you looked at them? Which one caught your eye? What kind of card surface do you like? Large or smaller cards?

Many folks read Marseille in a different way to modern decks. They use numerology perhaps, or other ways of thinking about the minor cards, NOT the meanings of modern decks (or what would be the point of using a Marseille?). So you've got to start with the deck that appeals to YOU, and then work with it and figure out how you'll choose to read with it.

No one can tell you what you like best, huh?

* Starlight just posted - and yes that's right - it's about how the look of the deck appeals to you, they could all be read with the same technique (for pips cards)

Best of luck

PathWalker

I didnt understand the difference between the two kinds you mentioned? Cards are cards so what surface do you refer to?

I saw the deck and most looked the same to me....

I realky liked the. Celia one which i will order but its smaller plus its not worth it ordering one deck due to ordering fees so i want to order another more traditional one and here i struggle

The most traditional one, the one used most and which most people recognise instantaneously is the Grimaud deck designed by Paul Marteau in the 1930s. It's maybe less intricate than some of the others, but somehow it's the easiest I think to work with. I only read with the TdM. And although I love some of the other TdMs (like the Conver which is in my view the finest and the best, or Kris Hadar's Véritable Tarot de Marseilles), I somehow always return to it. Again and again. It's the one I'd take with me to a desert island.

https://www.amazon.com/Editions-Dusserre-Grimaud-Marseille-Cartomancy/dp/B00005QRP1

But I'm sure it can be found on another website that's not Amazon. It's a pity to give more money to Bezos. He has enough, and exploits his workers like they're discardable objects. Which in his view, they are. 

5 hours ago, Marigold said:

The most traditional one, the one used most and which most people recognise instantaneously is the Grimaud deck designed by Paul Marteau in the 1930s. It's maybe less intricate than some of the others, but somehow it's the easiest I think to work with. I only read with the TdM. And although I love some of the other TdMs (like the Conver which is in my view the finest and the best, or Kris Hadar's Véritable Tarot de Marseilles), I somehow always return to it. Again and again. It's the one I'd take with me to a desert island.

https://www.amazon.com/Editions-Dusserre-Grimaud-Marseille-Cartomancy/dp/B00005QRP1

But I'm sure it can be found on another website that's not Amazon. It's a pity to give more money to Bezos. He has enough, and exploits his workers like they're discardable objects. Which in his view, they are. 

thank you!