Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 171 : October 17 - October 23

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a deck (or decks) to work with for the week.

All are welcome. Please join us!      The only rules we have are the Tarot Tea & Me rules; be respectful to each other.    

You can drop in and out,  time and real life permitting.   New to tarot?  Long time reader?   Come on in.  

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc., or NOT - it's all up to you.  

Participants:

1.  VGimlet - Bonestone & Earthflesh Tarot

2. vague-whisperings - Adventurers Deck and dice

3. TheFeeLion - UnCommon Auspex tester deck

4. Mi-shell - Light Seer's Tarot

5. AJ-ish/Sharyn - Wild Medicine Herbal Deck

6. Madame Squee - Gregory Scott Tarot

7. Bodhiseed - Victorian Romantic Tarot &  Dreaming in Color (aka Lumen Deck)

8. vulprix - Paulina Tarot

9. Amberjune - Green Witch Tarot and the Earth Power Oracle.

(480)

Edited by VGimlet
vague-whisperings

ooh good luck @VGimlet! ive been watchin forum post about it so im curious about how itll read 👀

im gonna be in with the adventurers deck and a card study i think. i also wanna try and figure out my dice method for it so well see how that goes 😬

I'm going to be working with my UnCommon Auspex tester deck.

The blank cards I ordered arrived and some of them are now no longer blank 😁 I've drawn simplified versions of four of the six suits and words only for the other two suits. I want to use this tester deck as a way to explore the meanings of each card. And to see how it works as a deck. 

I've already done a preliminary deck interview with it (over on my deck creation journal thread thingy) and so far it looks promising. Although I think readings with it will take a lot longer than normal at the moment because I'll be doing research at the same time

Hi♥

We are back home and I want to get into my meanwhile tie tested lockdown rhythm including DotW.

For now it is the Light Seer's Tarot.

15 hours ago, VGimlet said:

I'm in this week with the long-awaited Bonestone & Earthflesh tarot.   I haven't even had a chance to unbox yet (tomorrow, probably)  but if I remember right, I was very drawn to the art.  

Hi VGimlet! ♥ Have you seen the lasr 4-5 pages of the Bonestone thread with all the input about certain card images?

I do not have the deck, but was asked to weigh in about a few of them.....

On 10/16/2020 at 6:53 AM, Mi-Shell said:

Hi VGimlet! ♥ Have you seen the lasr 4-5 pages of the Bonestone thread with all the input about certain card images?

I do not have the deck, but was asked to weigh in about a few of them.....

Ah oh....I guess I better go look.   No, I ordered this deck eons ago, before all the drama ensued.   I haven't looked through it yet, even, just unboxed in today.  I tend to avoid deck discussion threads, because one person's dream deck is another person's Deck Of Horror.  (Looking at you, Unicorn Tarot - bleh)

ed. to add - well, insert pooh emoji here.    I actually missed all the drama - I tend to ignore drama, so I didn't pay attention to any of the creators other stuff through the years, and didn't know much about them.     Way back when it was being advertised I have a vague memory it was supposed to be non-christian and nature oriented, which I'm all in for. After looking through it, I'm not sure how I feel.  

I'm giving it a week,  like I do for other decks. There have only been a few that were too repulsive to last a week.  But it chaps me to spend that much money on a deck that may annoy me when I read with it.   And to be quite honest, it bothers me when artists can't draw people from their own imagination, and have to use celebrities for reference unless that's the point of the deck...)        Okay, back to the regularly scheduled DOTW thread.

Edited by VGimlet

This week I'll be using the Victorian Romantic Tarot, created by Alex Ukolov and Karen Mahony with Magic Realist Press as publisher. I will also be drawing from Dreaming in Color: the Luman Deck, created and self-published by Mindy Hope Sommers. Today's draws are the Page of Swords and Catharsis:

page%2Bswords.jpgcatharsis_0002.jpg
When awareness and alertness become integral parts of our character, our ignorance and fears gradually start dying out. ―Prem Jagyasi

This Page holds his sword like a gun and walks like a hunter with his ears and eyes open and alert. Yet what this young fellow hunts is not game, but knowledge and truth. He's learning how to use his sword to slice away fallacy and fiction from what is factual. In today's world, that can take dedication to pursue. Catharsis refers to releasing in order to find relief and restoration. Under the Page's influence, this might include rejecting a set of rigid ideas for an open mind. To accept only what we currently believe means we close off many doors to other possibilities. An open mind doesn't negate discernment, but it can allow us to create change.
Edited by Bodhiseed

Bodhiseed,

I hadn't thought about the Dreaming in Color deck for years, and I just uncovered mine a couple weeks ago.  I gave it to a 15 year old who needed a joyful companion to balance out the Murder of Crows.  I bought mine about 15 years ago, do you think the current edition is different?  I can't compare because I gave mine away, but many of the cards in the current edition look new to me.  I have to say, it really appeals to me and I'm considering re-purchasing.

Also, I love the readings you do each week!

@Gardener, I have the old version, so I don't know if the newer decks look the same or not. Color really has a feeling tone for me, so I enjoy this deck when I use it. Maybe you could check out her website and see what you think (the link is embedded in her name in my post above). Thank you for your kind words about my readings!💓

Amberjune

I'm in with the Green Witch Tarot and the Earth Power Oracle.

Have a blessed week everyone

vague-whisperings

Well! I actually managed to sit down today and pick (roll, technically) my cards for the week. I'm going to have to do some formatting for my journal since most of the cards I'm defining aren't class cards.

I thought, for my first post, I'd share my dice method. Due to the nature of being a frequent Kickstarter backer, many of the decks that I have are exclusive. I enjoy having an alternative method to a physical deck in case I lose my decks. I use a plastic set that I bought at Barnes and Noble currently, but I'm hoping to have enough extra money that I can buy some gemstone dice in the future.
1576742578_Screenshot(196).thumb.png.97081d9a393d5abf1f5b64651493f7fd.png     Once I obtain a deck, I have to then do math and statistics to make it accurate to the deck (something that I am very bad at and frequently recruit @Norik for. They are an amazing help orz), and then tie those statistics to dice rolls.
      Norik proposed the category numbers; originally I had wanted to incorporate the entire deck, but as the monster cards have four each, it massively outweighed the other cards and felt unbalanced. The category numbers here are for single cards only. There are no duplicates.
      The class cards were simple as there were 19 once I included the bonus cards. I considered using a d4 for the Adversary and Starter cards, instead opted for the d20 as I would already be using a d20 (and I'm cheap and didn't want to get another dice if I didn't need to).
        The final stumbling block had been figuring out the monster category, as the chart had 14 choices and a d15 is not standard to a typical dice set. However, I solved this by splitting the chart into two columns of 7 and using a d8. With that, I finally organized the chart and then used it today for card selection!

The cards that I'll be studying are The Aberration, The Familiar, The Dungeon Mistress, The Companion, The Adversary, The Developer, and The Paladin! I can't wait to see where this goes and what meanings I'll come up with for these ❤️

1398821851_Oct.17Study.thumb.png.046c552d49a839ac7a9b37fb09866229.png

Pulled a card for what to keep in mind today from my little tester Auspex and got Sparrow. I won't post a picture of it as it only the word on an otherwise blank card. 

Luckily I had already done some research on Sparrow for a reading I did the other day! These guys seem like the equivalent of a Lust card, apparently eggs rarely contain the genetic material of both parents! 

It's definitely given me some things to ponder, I had originally thought this card would be more about how common they are. It seems like that's only the tip of a rather lusty iceberg 😂

Yesterday's card to think on was Nowhere. Seemed pretty straightforward. I wondered how this card could work in a reading, then got some appropriate examples before I even started work... as in "you're going nowhere in those pants" as the elastic in the waistband of my work trousers broke, and "you're going nowhere with you're phone" when I got to work and discovered I'd left my phone at home! 🙄

I wonder what today's card will be... 

@TheFeeLion I never would guessed that sparrows are promiscuous.I always imagined that birds are monogamous throughout each season. I really love your reading on Nowhere! Most days, I'm getting nowhere fast. 

@vague-whisperings The depth and breadth of your procedure and analysis are so impressive! I can't wait to see how it goes!

@Madame Squee yeah I thought so too! I'm really enjoying doing the research for these cards, I'm learning heaps 😁 did you know a vulture can gulp down roughly a kilo of meat in about 30 seconds? Also a group of of vultures feeding is called a wake. When they're flying it's a kettle, and when they're resting they're called either a committee, venue or volt. While a flock of sparrows can be called a host, quarrel, knot, flutter, or crew 😁

Two cards for today: North and Deer. I'm off to do some research... 

vague-whisperings
6 hours ago, Madame Squee said:

The depth and breadth of your procedure and analysis are so impressive! I can't wait to see how it goes!

ty! ive actually been swamped with school and spiritual questions and formatting so i havent 😔 studied any of the cards unfortunately 😔 perhaps another week when my head is in a better place for this

Gregory Scott Tarot - A Tarot of Positive Clarity, 2020 Copyright Lo Scarabeo.

This tarot deck did not succeed with me.

It feels like a truly personal deck that may somehow work for its author, but I found there are too many strange cards for me to enjoy it as a tarot deck. Honestly, I looked for explanations in the LWB only a couple of times. What I found there didn't help. (Speaking of strange cards, I love the Tarot of 78 Doors. GST is not that.)

I think I might be able to use it as an oracle deck if I cut off the titles and remove the cards that repel me. 

Finally, I like the artwork and colors. The card stock is great, matte finish, shuffles well. And these are the reasons I would consider fashioning an oracle deck out of it. 

PS: I'm attaching examples of four cards I don't care for and two that I kind of like. In the last two, it looks to me like the Page of Swords will have his revenge on the Knight of Swords. That appeals to me. 

GST XI and 4s.jpg

GST Qs and VIII Strength.jpg

GST KnS and Ps.jpg

vague-whisperings
33 minutes ago, Madame Squee said:

t feels like a truly personal deck that may somehow work for its author, but I found there are too many strange cards for me to enjoy it as a tarot deck. Honestly, I looked for explanations in the LWB only a couple of times.

what made the cards strange? :0 it seems like a deck that's more on the hard fantasy end of things- kinda grisly and morbid which is smthin im into personally (not that its for everyone. some people just arent about that)

yowza. I looked up the deck when you listed it and had two immediate reactions. Reminds me of the Fey, except all of those seemed to have radiation warts. It turned my stomach to use it so sent it to an AT member in Argentina, figured that might be far enough. And two, smooth art, just don't care for it, but I get why gamers (in other words people a lot younger than me) don't mind it or give it a second thought. 

Looking at the scans you showed today though, it is like art from two different concepts or maybe three. Graphic novels, and I can't think of the name, but the Asian style cartoon art, and back to the smooth characterless images. And there seems to be an underlying rage involved. Thank you for sharing it! 

I've had an interesting week with the Wild Medicine Herbal Deck. Beautiful watercolor style art and I learned something every day about medicinal herbs, always a good thing. 

@vague-whisperings your project looks like a blast. I've done things like this on a yearly learning basis. Good for you!