What Tarot Books Do You Recommend and Why?

MarieBernard

I'm looking for general or RWS recommendations from someone more well versed than I am, but to start I'll give what I think are essentials for Thoth/Liber T/ etc. and Marseille traditions.

Thoth:

- Book of Thoth, Crowley

- Thoth Tarot, DuQuette

- The Qabalistic Tarot, Wang

- The Chicken Qabalah, DuQuette

Marseille:

- Untold Tarot, Matthews

- Tarot on Earth, Benjamin

- Tarot: The Open Reading (aka Marseille Tarot Revealed, don't buy both, they're the same), Ben-Dov

I think all these give a good foundation, you could probably study decks of these lineages for years with them, but they point the way to expansion, too.

Beyond the customary reverence for Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom, two of the best books for the RWS are Joan Bunning's The Big Book of Tarot and Mark McElroy's A Guide to Tarot Card Meanings. Both give a wealth of highly practical keywords and phrases for each card based on the imagery. Each also has a number of thoughtful, original interpretations alongside classical understandings. These would be the two sources that I recommend for any beginner.

As a benefit, both of these authors give most of the material away for free on their respective websites (which should show up easily in an online search). 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.