Winter Decks

EmpyreanKnight

EmpyreanKnight

It's almost December and as the nights grow longer and colder, the days grow shorter (i.e. if you live in the northern hemisphere :) ). It's less than a month before the winter solstice, and I guess it's good time to ask: which Tarot and oracle decks do you like to use during the winter season?

EmpyreanKnight

For me, it's usually dark decks like the Gothic Tarot by Vargo and the Tarot of Vampyres.

The winter solstice usually celebrates the mysteries of the dying sun-gods, so I'm also inclined to use decks that celebrate the divine masculine like the Sol Invictus: The God Tarot and the Gods and Titans Oracle. I plan to dedicate both on the 22nd, and I'm so excited to use them. :)

Seasonal decks, one of my favorite topics <3

For me, it's all about the Prisma Visions when the weather gets cold. I think it's the dark backgrounds that recall the dark season, as well as the striking snowy winter scenes in the suit of swords, though all seasons are represented. I don't only use this deck in the winter- it's my go to for New Moon readings, and I use it at other times that seem to call for the particular magic this deck has- but come winter this is what I want in my hands.

I have the Badgers Forest Tarot on my wish list and I really want this one for winter. I'm crossing my fingers I'll be gifted this one during the holidays, and if it's not I might just buy it myself in late December. Again all seasons are represented in this one, and I'm not sure if once it's in my hands I might see it more as a spring or an autumn deck, but the winter images I've seen from the deck really stood out to me.

I have a feeling I'll find myself using the Star Tarot this winter too. It also has dark backgrounds, and I think I'll find the bright colors cheering. I was inspired by PathWalker[/member] to try pulling out my Arthurian deck for this season, and I might see how the Legend: Arthurian feels as well.

For oracles, The Messenger Cards (the Sandra Kunz deck) feel wintery to me. Also the Moon Phases Oracle...I use it all year long but I love its vibe for autumn and winter.

I actually wish I had more wintery decks, either tarot or oracle. Will be keeping an eye on this thread :) I don't read lenormand, but I've seen some pictures of the Winter Solstice Lenormand and it looks lovely.

I've got a lovely Illuminated tarot which is beautiful blues with silver glitter - it's perfect at this time of year as the colours remind me of winter skies at dawn and dusk.

http://www.soul-guidance.com/tarotdecks/darkcrystal.htm

My Greenwood also gets an outing for a solstice reading.

Those both sound wonderful flaxen!

For me, it's usually dark decks like the Gothic Tarot by Vargo and the Tarot of Vampyres.

The winter solstice usually celebrates the mysteries of the dying sun-gods, so I'm also inclined to use decks that celebrate the divine masculine like the Sol Invictus: The God Tarot and the Gods and Titans Oracle. I plan to dedicate both on the 22nd, and I'm so excited to use them. :)

I've said it before, but I love your idea of focusing on the dying and rebirth of the gods this time of year, EmpyreanKnight :) Thanks for starting this conversation!

EmpyreanKnight

I must add to my favorite winter decks the Promethean Oracle, along with two very dark, Eastern European decks of the left-hand path: the Tarot of Shadows and Lucifer's Tarot.

Reviving this topic for the season...for those who work with decks seasonally, any decks you're drawn to working with for the winter? 

My Prisma Visions is still my go-to for the dark half of the year and especially late fall through winter. (It's also my overall favorite deck.) Badgers Forest Tarot also draws me this time of year- the palette and space of the deck have a winter feel, and many of the cards are in winter settings although all seasons are represented. It has that energy to me as well.

For oracle, Messenger Cards by Sandra Kunz is a definite for me. Again the palette, a lot of stark nature imagery, lots of black and white. I just received the White Hare Wisdom Oracle, (enabled by @Flaxen who was enabled by @Raggydoll...so I have to continue the chain!) and part of the season I was so drawn to order it right away was that is seemed to have a very wintery energy, so I wanted to work with it this season. I just received the deck today but on first look-through my feeling of that was confirmed. And finally the Illuminated Earth Oracle, but that's one I feel drawn to for late winter, past the Solstice and really around Imbolc time, when I'm starting to think about life coming back but we're still in the dark.

So those are the ones I'm thinking of for this winter! Any decks people are working with/plan on working with in the cold and dark?

My winter and summer decks are the same.
Seasons affect me as far as what I wear and how much dog hair I have to sweep up, how often I have to cut the grass, and whether I have to bring my potted plants indoors. Other than that, it's all the same.
If you're Wiccan/pagan, I get that, you have that Wheel of the Year thing.
But I don't.

I also use the same deck for the most part year 'round, but I tend to read my runes more in the fall and winter...I also find my self spending more time in general on my metaphysical studies during this time of year. I like to hole up as it gets darker and more still outside and "dig in" to higher learning

autumnal equinox to vernal equinox is my most favorite time of year

Edited by xTheHermitx
11 minutes ago, xTheHermitx said:

autumnal equinox to vernal equinox is my most favorite time of year

Me too. :)
But it gets wicked, brutal hot here. Triple digits.
Winter is weak here, we have "northers" that blow in and bring cold and rain, but then it's right back to hot. When it gets UNBEARABLY hot, you know a norther is coming.
Texas is ugly.
But I do love the winter here. I think I'll get my runes out!

6 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Me too. 🙂
But it gets wicked, brutal hot here. Triple digits.
Winter is weak here, we have "northers" that blow in and bring cold and rain, but then it's right back to hot. When it gets UNBEARABLY hot, you know a norther is coming.
Texas is ugly.
But I do love the winter here. I think I'll get my runes out!

so you are in the southern hemisphere?...or Texas? 

Our winters here in Ohio are "moderate"...usually in the 40's and rainy, which sucks cause I love snow and cold...I want to move further north for retirement...but I still love the weather, the shorter days, and the stillness. 

My taste in decks do tend to change during the winter, but it has nothing to do with pagan ‘wheel of the year’ practices. It’s simply due to a little something called Polar nights. Now, I don’t quite live up by the polar circle (although I’ve spent my fair share of time there, and I’ve also lived there for a shorter period) but we still very much feel it. For those that haven’t experienced it... well, its something special indeed. What it means is that in some areas the sun will not be visible at all during the winter. It can literally be a month without any sunshine at all. You can imagine how many people suffer from seasonal depression here because of it.. But I have always loved the darkness. We have a strong tradition around candle lighting (not just for advent or St Lucia) but as a general thing. And people put lights in their gardens (NOT the colorful blinking American type of decorations 😝). And let’s not forget the Northern lights that display like an act of magic on the dark sky. Where I live now it’s pitch black outside for the majority of the day, and it’s not uncommon for the sun to set at 2 pm in December. It also takes a long time for the sun to rise. The other day I was waiting for some sunshine to take pictures of a card spread but I gave up at 9.30 and just turned on as many lights that I could find. It was a cloudy day so I never saw any real sunshine that day. This means that I tend to feel drawn to decks that have warm vibrant colors - like the Dreamtime Reading Cards by Laura Bowen. Warm red and orange cheers me up. That’s probably why I love the sight of citrus fruit and saffron buns this time of the year too 🙂 

(as a piece of trivia I can also let you know that the same areas that have polar nights during the winter, also have midnight sun in the summer. So they have a period where the sun never sets. I have been up on a mountain at midnight, watching the sun still up in the sky. Very powerful and it balances the winters beautifully. That’s the kind of contrasts you get in this part of the world!)

Here’s an off topic snapshot of what it’s like here, waiting for the sun to appear in the morning. If it weren’t for the lights then we wouldn’t be able to see a thing outside.

FCA2B121-95E1-4D52-A3F1-0D443D8D8280.thumb.jpeg.bb94a04dc0d3438e889599a677e8e7e7.jpeg

3 hours ago, xTheHermitx said:

so you are in the southern hemisphere?...or Texas? 

Texas.
It's a weird place. The worst politicians/legislators in the history of western civilization, a horrible place to live, but the best musicians: Doug Sahm (YES <3), Roky Erickson, sh*t, all the way back to Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. Beyonce, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Z-Ro, Stevie Ray Vaughan, SPM. Billy Gibbons - it's endless. I have a theory that the more brutal and raw and flat out EVIL life is, the better the music
If you want to get the feel of it, hunt this up and watch it. Texas is evil AF, yet we keep being born, we keep living: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_Gonna_Miss_Me

I could go on for fifteen paragraphs....I loathe Texas but the music keeps me here.

Our winters here in Ohio are "moderate"...usually in the 40's and rainy, which sucks cause I love snow and cold...I want to move further north for retirement...but I still love the weather, the shorter days, and the stillness. 

As do I.
My kids have gone back to Massachusetts. And when I figure out the logistics of getting my two beautiful Shelties (a Bi Black and a Bi Blue, OMG ❤️ Gorgeous boys!) I'm outta here. Texas is a nightmare!

Edited by katrinka
On 11/28/2019 at 2:35 AM, katrinka said:

Texas.
It's a weird place. The worst politicians/legislators in the history of western civilization, a horrible place to live, but the best musicians: Doug Sahm (YES <3), Roky Erickson, sh*t, all the way back to Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. Beyonce, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Z-Ro, Stevie Ray Vaughan, SPM. Billy Gibbons - it's endless. I have a theory that the more brutal and raw and flat out EVIL life is, the better the music
If you want to get the feel of it, hunt this up and watch it. Texas is evil AF, yet we keep being born, we keep living: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_Gonna_Miss_Me

I could go on for fifteen paragraphs....I loathe Texas but the music keeps me here.

As do I.
My kids have gone back to Massachusetts. And when I figure out the logistics of getting my two beautiful Shelties (a Bi Black and a Bi Blue, OMG ❤️ Gorgeous boys!) I'm outta here. Texas is a nightmare!

oh, you don't have to convince me about the perils of Texas!!   Years ago I turned down a pretty cushy job in Houston b/c I wanted nothing to do with any part of Texas....the weather and tarantulas are good enough to keep me out, let alone the other stuff.

I do love some Texas music tho...for me it is/was Pantera and DRI at the top...then a ton of other punk bands as well

NE is a consideration for a retirement place for us...I dated a girl from Providence RI and visited her relatives in Southbridge MA a ton. I love that area....lots of old magic in that area....but will most likely go to Michigan as it is closer to family and much less expensive

Me either. I see scorpions occasionally, though. It's always prudent to give your shoes a shake before putting them on. 

Pantera - YES. 

I like the Butthole Surfers, too. Gibby Haynes is my spirit animal. 😁

On 11/27/2019 at 11:35 PM, katrinka said:

Texas.

The BEST musicians and songwriters and singers.  Amen to that.  I'd tell anybody that, anytime.  I wasn't clear on exactly why that is but it sounds like you've nailed it.  Isn't Willy Nelson from there? and Waylon, Kinky Friedman, Ray Benson, Susanna Clark.  The list is endless and top-notch.  And I would never ever want to live in the South again.  Once was enough  😎

On 11/28/2019 at 1:19 AM, Raggydoll said:

My taste in decks do tend to change during the winter, but it has nothing to do with pagan ‘wheel of the year’ practices. It’s simply due to a little something called Polar nights. Now, I don’t quite live up by the polar circle (although I’ve spent my fair share of time there, and I’ve also lived there for a shorter period) but we still very much feel it. For those that haven’t experienced it... well, its something special indeed. What it means is that in some areas the sun will not be visible at all during the winter. It can literally be a month without any sunshine at all. You can imagine how many people suffer from seasonal depression here because of it.. But I have always loved the darkness. We have a strong tradition around candle lighting (not just for advent or St Lucia) but as a general thing. And people put lights in their gardens (NOT the colorful blinking American type of decorations 😝). And let’s not forget the Northern lights that display like an act of magic on the dark sky. Where I live now it’s pitch black outside for the majority of the day, and it’s not uncommon for the sun to set at 2 pm in December. It also takes a long time for the sun to rise. The other day I was waiting for some sunshine to take pictures of a card spread but I gave up at 9.30 and just turned on as many lights that I could find. It was a cloudy day so I never saw any real sunshine that day. This means that I tend to feel drawn to decks that have warm vibrant colors - like the Dreamtime Reading Cards by Laura Bowen. Warm red and orange cheers me up. That’s probably why I love the sight of citrus fruit and saffron buns this time of the year too 🙂 

(as a piece of trivia I can also let you know that the same areas that have polar nights during the winter, also have midnight sun in the summer. So they have a period where the sun never sets. I have been up on a mountain at midnight, watching the sun still up in the sky. Very powerful and it balances the winters beautifully. That’s the kind of contrasts you get in this part of the world!)

Here’s an off topic snapshot of what it’s like here, waiting for the sun to appear in the morning. If it weren’t for the lights then we wouldn’t be able to see a thing outside.

FCA2B121-95E1-4D52-A3F1-0D443D8D8280.thumb.jpeg.bb94a04dc0d3438e889599a677e8e7e7.jpeg

@Raggydoll, I love your description of the setting of the season where you live, and I can very much see how that draws you to bright and cheerful decks at this time! I agree, I don't think one has to follow the Wheel of the Year practice to be attuned to or affected by seasonal energies. The Dreamtime Reading Cards really are so warm and colorful- they seem perfect.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:05 AM, Flaxen said:

I've got a lovely Illuminated tarot which is beautiful blues with silver glitter - it's perfect at this time of year as the colours remind me of winter skies at dawn and dusk.

http://www.soul-guidance.com/tarotdecks/darkcrystal.htm

My Greenwood also gets an outing for a solstice reading.

I know you posted this a long time ago @Flaxen, but I still really love these decks you mention here :heart: I have the Starlight Illuminated which I love to use at night time (I almost always use that one when I work with the Night Spread) and I would love to have more of her decks.

I've been working with my Badgers Forest the last couple of weeks which I already mentioned above, and I'm loving that energy right now.

Anyone else have decks they are working with or planning to work with for the winter season?

On 12/4/2019 at 2:31 AM, Flaxen said:

@RavenOfSummer, those two are still favourites at this time of year. :classic_smile:

I also find the black and white of the Wild Unknown makes me feel wintery. It reminds me of bare trees against the snow (not that we get much snow in my corner of the world!). 

I can totally see that with the Wild Unknown!

On 12/8/2019 at 9:46 PM, HighPriestess said:

The Winter Waite is my current favourite wintery deck (link is to the old version, there's a new one in the works). It's a RWS deck but with winter scenes! I love it.

Oh yes, I saw this deck a while ago but had forgotten about it! Thanks for the link 🙂

On 11/28/2019 at 4:21 AM, katrinka said:

My winter and summer decks are the same.
Seasons affect me as far as what I wear and how much dog hair I have to sweep up, how often I have to cut the grass, and whether I have to bring my potted plants indoors. Other than that, it's all the same.
If you're Wiccan/pagan, I get that, you have that Wheel of the Year thing.
But I don't.

Haha! This is me! my fav Pam's Vintage Bridge size color is perfect for warm winter vibe!^^ lol But I do use some light colored *Fairy & Mucha & Art Nuovu Tarot in Spring!^^ ;D

Edited by reall