Struggling to stay connected to a deck

Darkbookworm85

Darkbookworm85

I recently started working with my decks again, and am struggling hardcore with one deck. I have a copy of the Samhain Deck of the Bastard that I purchased in 2014, and I feel like I need an eye exam anytime I try to use it. The images are so dark and muddled that even fluorescent lights right over me don't help in illuminating the imagery, let alone the keywords I had her print on the cards for me. I don't know if the copy I received is just slightly darker than some of the images online, or if that's how they are meant to look. But I find myself regretting buying it, because it isn't legible for me. I showed it to my husband and he also struggled to read the cards, which kind of reassured me that I didn't need to visit the eye doctor just yet...

Does anyone else have this rendition of the Samhain DOB? If so, do you also struggle with seeing the details on the cards to read them? Part of me wants to sell or trade it, but don't know where to go in order to find the best person to do so. I almost forgot, I did email her at one point around late 2017, because I couldn't remember when I had bought it, and I wondered if I could return it, and she said that since it had been about 3 years since I had purchased it, there was no way for her to issue a refund or replacement. So I have just held onto it since then, trying to figure out a way to use it. I've even been contemplating whether or not painting highlights and adding details onto the cards myself would work. I saw a youtube video by Boho Tarot where she paints onto the surface of her tarot decks with pearlescent, metallic, or regular acrylic paints to add her own personal touch to her decks, then sealing them with a semi-gloss spray afterwards. As someone who likes to paint for art journaling and such, the idea does appeal to me. 

Does anyone have any tips for making the artwork on their decks more legible? I haven't cracked open my paints yet, mostly at the contemplation stage of that, as it would be a ton of work that would take ages to finish.

I own the Deck of the Bastard but not the Samhain version but I do have her Samhain Vintage Lenormand deck (from around 2014 also) and it's very gloomy in it's colouring. It is readable but it's dark in it's tones. Her decks always have a vintage antiqued look so they look old and then the Samhain limited editions are made more spooky and dark and perhaps that is what happened to your deck. There is a 2017 version of your edition currently on her website and it looks bright and readable in promotional photos. I would search google for reviews or images or videos for your exact 2014 version and see if you can compare them. I can't say if they were all dark or not. Sadly you really have to contact the publisher or artist when you get a deck if you are not happy, they will often make it right but it's long ago now. I can read my Samhain Lenormand but I do need to read it under light, I think it might be supposed to look like that.

You could use it to customise the cards if you want. Some of her first editions and early years decks do quite well in reselling online if someone is interested in owning it and is a collector. There are facebook trading groups of cards and also ebay but I don't know what price you should put it at if you want to sell it. There is a trading area of this forum as well, you have to be a subscriber to access but you can take out a one month subscription and post about it and see if anyone is interested sometime. If you don't want to trade or sell it why not have a go at having fun on the artwork and making it brighter 🙂

4 hours ago, Darkbookworm85 said:

I recently started working with my decks again, and am struggling hardcore with one deck. I have a copy of the Samhain Deck of the Bastard that I purchased in 2014, and I feel like I need an eye exam anytime I try to use it. The images are so dark and muddled that even fluorescent lights right over me don't help in illuminating the imagery, let alone the keywords I had her print on the cards for me.

...Does anyone else have this rendition of the Samhain DOB?

I only have one of her decks, a Lenormand I purchased in 2012 or 2013. It's a reproduction of the old Schneider & Co. Lenormand, but she "aged" it. The overall effect doesn't look old, it just looks nasty, like the cards have been soaked in rust water. You can see the images OK, but the deck is fugly. I've been meaning to pass it on, but I don't even know where I put it any more.

4 hours ago, Darkbookworm85 said:

Does anyone have any tips for making the artwork on their decks more legible? I haven't cracked open my paints yet, mostly at the contemplation stage of that, as it would be a ton of work that would take ages to finish.

I'd be VERY careful of that. Even dry paint can stick.
Better to just list them on ebay. Start the bidding at what you paid for them and don't underestimate shipping. International shipping can be insanely expensive, so you might want to limit availability to your own country.

Edited by katrinka

Darkbookworm85

I would rather trade or sell it on to someone who would want it, rather than risk ruining it. I'm not even sure what I would want in return for a trade that would be comparable in value. This deck has put me off of the more expensive decks, and I hesitate at even a $30 price tag now. The idea of customizing it originates more from the exasperation I feel trying to use it. I know now that I should have spoken up, but from what I was able to see, the images that match my deck is the 2nd edition, which has identical artwork to what I have. So it might not even be a printing issue, it might just be that's how the cards were designed. I don't can't remember the rules for posting links to other sites, but you can find reviews of the deck on youtube, and images on pinterest and google if you search for the 2nd edition Samhain Deck of the Bastard. I originally wanted an original Deck of the Bastard, but was swayed by the richness in the Samhain DOB images on her site. The beige-ness of the original was off-putting, and I thought something with more color would be better, if only I knew then what I know now.

Looking at her decks now, I find the art being grunged up unappealing, but I enjoy edging decks in distress inks, so it's weird. But I know what you mean, my deck looks like it's been to war and back, and been read in the backs of smoky taverns for hundreds of years, I thought I would enjoy having a deck like that, but sadly I was wrong. Maybe I can find a medieval art style deck somewhere else that appeals to me more. I was allowed to use my ex's Medieval Scapini deck long ago when we were together, but when we broke up, he wouldn't let me take the deck, even though it read beautifully for me, and he never used it at all.

Thank you both for your responses, they helped a lot. When I searched for it on ebay to see if anyone else was selling a copy, I found zilch. And most of the facebook group rules stated that someone who is new to the group can't sell a deck worth more than $50 (the length of time needed to no longer count as a newbie was unclear as well). I will check out the month subscription here instead and see if someone is interested. I would rather give someone here a crack at adopting my obfuscating deck rather than someone I'm not familiar with. Some of the people in this group I've interacted with or read posts of for years back on the AT forum, so they feel less like random strangers (might sound strange but it makes sense in my head) and more like a group of peers I just rediscovered.

<oops nijnaed by your last post>

But I see someone had one up for sale for ages and it didn't go. Then again - her prices are not cheap...

Edited by gregory

AJ-ish/Sharyn

If you remember AT, you may remember the primp or pimp my deck thread, way fun. Rather than obsessing over getting your money back, use it to your advantage. I found I enjoyed using nail polish, the glittery the better, and left the cards to sit out drying for two days. Never had a problem with them sticking. You might look up that old thread. Still makes me smile when I use one of those decks. 

I also had a deck (religious themed) that turned my stomach. I finally journaled across all the cards, ripped them in half and deposited them in the burn barrel. That also made me smile. 

Darkbookworm85
10 hours ago, gregory said:

<oops nijnaed by your last post>

But I see someone had one up for sale for ages and it didn't go. Then again - her prices are not cheap...

It is understandable that someone might not be able to recoup the total amount paid, some of her decks are indeed pricy. I wouldn't want to be seen as undercutting another person's attempts to sell a deck, I know that can be seen as underhanded, and I wouldn't want that to foster ill will at all. 

7 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

If you remember AT, you may remember the primp or pimp my deck thread, way fun. Rather than obsessing over getting your money back, use it to your advantage. I found I enjoyed using nail polish, the glittery the better, and left the cards to sit out drying for two days. Never had a problem with them sticking. You might look up that old thread. Still makes me smile when I use one of those decks. 

I also had a deck (religious themed) that turned my stomach. I finally journaled across all the cards, ripped them in half and deposited them in the burn barrel. That also made me smile. 

That is a good idea, maybe I will try the nail polish. I tried using nail polish on a different deck, the Wishcraft tarot that used to be for sale at Kmart. I was impatient and ended up ruining the cards with the nail polish, and gave the deck to my kids to play with so they wouldn't steal my decks. Your advice to wait a few days helps, thank you. I think a clear coat spray afterwards might help me as well, or the humidity of summertime where I live will make the nail polish feel gummy.

I'm not obsessed with getting the exact amount back or anything, I just hate wasting things (growing up with nothing means I have a hard time spending money in general, let alone on tarot decks), and since I can't use this deck as it is, it feels like a wasted resource. I would love to see someone else welcome it, or even be able to read with it, because I'd know it was being enjoyed and used. Or cherished as a treasured part of their collection, I know some people don't like using rare or OOP decks. 

fire cat pickles
1 hour ago, Darkbookworm85 said:

It is understandable that someone might not be able to recoup the total amount paid, some of her decks are indeed pricy. I wouldn't want to be seen as undercutting another person's attempts to sell a deck, I know that can be seen as underhanded, and I wouldn't want that to foster ill will at all. 

I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Do you really think some random person selling a deck is going to care about your feelings and them selling their deck? Just sell your deck for what you think it's worth. That's what collecting, trading, and selling is about. Anonymous people will get over it. That's business. 

Darkbookworm85
2 hours ago, fire cat pickles said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Do you really think some random person selling a deck is going to care about your feelings and them selling their deck? Just sell your deck for what you think it's worth. That's what collecting, trading, and selling is about. Anonymous people will get over it. That's business. 

It was more tied to personal anxiety issues I have wrestled with in the past about not wanting people to be mad at me. I also couldn't remember what this forum's rules stated about selling decks, but when I really thought about it, I didn't think "don't undercut someone else's sales" was mentioned at all in the registration process of joining this account. You are right though, someone else looking to sell something would want to get the best amount of money for their item, not worry about upsetting me, unless I was personally involved with the transaction.

43 minutes ago, Darkbookworm85 said:

It was more tied to personal anxiety issues I have wrestled with in the past about not wanting people to be mad at me.

You recognize it for what it is - personal anxiety - now push through it. That's how you avoid codependence.

AJ-ish/Sharyn

the value of a deck is a moving target anyway... when I put something up here I always say I'd prefer barter and offer a few I'm looking for or say suggestions are welcome. Eliminates the dollar factor entirely. 

Darkbookworm85
11 hours ago, katrinka said:

You recognize it for what it is - personal anxiety - now push through it. That's how you avoid codependence.

Very good advice, thank you.

38 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

the value of a deck is a moving target anyway... when I put something up here I always say I'd prefer barter and offer a few I'm looking for or say suggestions are welcome. Eliminates the dollar factor entirely. 

This is a very good point, thank you. That actually takes a lot of the stress trying to affix an appropriate price to my deck. I will switch gears to that, and figure out a short list of decks I'd like in exchange, and make sure to include the suggestions part.

Thank you all, this really has helped me overcome the worrying about this deck, and your suggestions have been a valuable resource.

Keep in mind that not everyone has the same taste in decks so there is surely someone who’d love to at least swap you a deck you like better. Since it’s an OP deck Id think it would be pretty easy to recoup your investment if you sell. You just might need to be a bit patient about it.  
    Be very careful about swapping though since swaplifting in a very real thing especially on Facebook. Unless you are comfortable with who you are swapping with I’d recommend working out a figure with your swap partner then each of you PayPals the other that amount as insurance that nobody “forgets” to mail their end. That way you at least got something in your pocket if things go belly up. Also make sure you are very clear on shipping deadlines. 
    I wouldn’t recommend eBay since new rules mean you have to tie a bank account to your account to sell on there now. You might try Mercari instead. Listings on there show up on google searches. Also Facebook groups are very good for selling decks. I’ve seen even mass markets being sold close to their Amazon prices.  Since it’s an indie deck it’s possible ETSY might be a place you could list it. You’d have to read their fine print to see. 

11 hours ago, Mesha said:

Unless you are comfortable with who you are swapping with I’d recommend working out a figure with your swap partner then each of you PayPals the other that amount as insurance that nobody “forgets” to mail their end. That way you at least got something in your pocket if things go belly up.

???
OK, so let's say you decide on $50. You send them $50, and they send you $50 - that leaves you with the same $50 you started with, less paypal fees. Same for them.
Or, alternately, you paypal them $50 and they take the money and disappear.
How is that insurance that they don't "forget"?

I wouldn’t recommend eBay since new rules mean you have to tie a bank account to your account to sell on there now. 

Easy. You set up a bank account specifically for ebay purposes.... If it gets nasty you close the account.

12 hours ago, katrinka said:

How is that insurance that they don't "forget"?

You have buyer protection through PP where they will reimburse you for items that aren’t sent. You have to send via goods and services not friends and family btw. So when you have mailed your deck they have in effect paid $50 for it since you obviously won’t be refunding what they paid.  The deck they didn’t send that you in effect paid $50 for will be refunded back to you because they didn’t send your purchase.  

I have done a lot of makeup swaps using this method and not had an issue with it beyond complaints about not wanting to do it. With me that’s fine since those who don’t want piece of mind on $50 plus worth of merchandise going out may have ulterior motives.  

Edited by Mesha
Adding last 2 lines

You have buyer protection through PP where they will reimburse you for items that aren’t sent. You have to send via goods and services not friends and family btw. So when you have mailed your deck they have in effect paid $50 for it since you obviously won’t be refunding what they paid.  The deck they didn’t send that you in effect paid $50 for will be refunded back to you because they didn’t send your purchase.  

You send them a deck and $50.
They send you nothing.
Paypal refunds $50.

I would never go that way. Use buyer protection in the normal way; you send $50 for their deck and if you don't get the deck, you get your money back under buyer protection in the normal way. Why do you need an extra convoluted layer ?

Edited by gregory

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.