Trimming decks

euripides

euripides

I really want to trim my Druidcraft.  This thing is huge and so hard to shuffle.  But 20 Youtube videos later I'mstill too scared to do it. Realistically I can afford to replace it if I stuff it up but I still don't want to ruin the deck. Tell me your deck trimming success stories?

I have many, many, many trimmed decks, and there is not one I did a poor job on! Your results may vary, and I think it helps to have realistic expectations of the results.

Your deck is going to look more worn after you trim it. Personally, I like this look. But if you need to keep your decks “perfect,” it just isn’t going to happen when you trim.

I will say that there are just a couple that I opted to instead take to Kinko’s, and have them chop off the edges uniformly with their tools. The Druidcraft is one of the two I did this with, mainly because of its cardboardy stock. The other was a copy I have of the large size Thoth.

The Druidcraft is huge and I only got the outer white border cut off. It helped a lot. I thought the borders added a lot of character to the cards and didn’t want to lose it, though many seem to prefer this one completely borderless.

Let me know if you want to see more trimmed decks… I have more than a dozen trimmed by hand 😳 🙂 

087163E5-CE73-461D-B146-C9F04165D208.jpeg

Edited by vulprix
Added picture of my trimmed Druidcraft Tarot

katrinka

I only ever trimmed one deck, and it was a cheap mass market Kipper. The edges were really dirty and ratty, so I lopped them.

20210814_181130_Film1.thumb.jpg.9a2661da4f1c5f5c86f6f669f235b469.jpg.89913b7e204aaa3f609da437bada4060.jpg

I'm surprised I didn't ruin it. It's VERY difficult to get straight, even edges with scissors. These are not perfect, but they're good enough.

But if I had to do a whole Tarot deck, I'd invest in one of those guillotine paper cutters!

euripides
52 minutes ago, vulprix said:

I have many, many, many trimmed decks, and there is not one I did a poor job on! Your results may vary, and I think it helps to have realistic expectations of the results.

Your deck is going to look more worn after you trim it. Personally, I like this look. But if you need to keep your decks “perfect,” it just isn’t going to happen when you trim.

I will say that there are just a couple that I opted to instead take to Kinko’s, and have them chop off the edges uniformly with their tools. The Druidcraft is one of the two I did this with, mainly because of its cardboardy stock. The other was a copy I have of the large size Thoth.

The Druidcraft is huge and I only got the outer white border cut off. It helped a lot. I thought the borders added a lot of character to the cards and didn’t want to lose it, though many seem to prefer this one completely borderless.

Let me know if you want to see more trimmed decks… I have more than a dozen trimmed by hand 😳 🙂

I *think* I have a photo-trimmer from when the family had a 'photo scrapbooking' phase years ago, though IIRC it didn't actually cut all that square - the photo tended to slide off center as the blade moved. I have cutting mats so could use a knife and ruler, but doing that for 72 cards... very slow. 

I think I would be okay with a bit of rustic-ness. Some decks with heavier card seem to suit this better though; the Druidcraft stock is thin. At least the plain backs are suitable.

I guess if I'm under-using the deck because it's so hard to handle, maybe it'd be worth the risk if I'm going to enjoy using it more.

I'd love to see more or your trims.  Some decks seem to really suit it well. I do like the reduced clutter, especially for those LS with all the text - I'm very distractable.  There are a few decks I feel deserve a reprint to do more justice to their artwork.

euripides
49 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I only ever trimmed one deck, and it was a cheap mass market Kipper. The edges were really dirty and ratty, so I lopped them.

I'm surprised I didn't ruin it. It's VERY difficult to get straight, even edges with scissors. These are not perfect, but they're good enough.

But if I had to do a whole Tarot deck, I'd invest in one of those guillotine paper cutters!

It looks fantastic! I love the way these trims really focus in on the art. In a video I looked at, the speaker laid a few cards side by side and commented on how it allowed them to form a story, because they flowed into each other.

I may have to check my other decks for one that I could trim to a mint-tin size. That's adorable.

I have trimmed lots of decks over the years, including the Druid craft. I trimmed it all the way and left no titles. I don’t still have that deck because, over time, I realized that it didn’t resonate with me. 

Some of my workhorse decks are trimmed, like the Stella’s tarot. It has held up really well

I only left the bottom title. This was done with scissors and a corner cutter 

EB0F94CC-D853-418C-99C2-B530C8A5E9A8.thumb.jpeg.484db6c8cfa03090f7fdbdadca3b92a9.jpeg

I also trimmed several Oracle decks that was too big for my hands to shuffle comfortably 

This was probably done with a rotary cutter (a heavy duty paper cutter that has a rotating blade) I edged the sides black afterwards. I’m really happy with it . This is the Dreamtime reading cards. 

C69EF799-DDCC-4BA1-A20B-7F2DE0701E90.thumb.jpeg.b94770f89555c46db5d5bc240f4d57e4.jpeg

1 hour ago, gregory said:

I trimmed the Pink. With scissors. There was NO alternative.

I mean - REALLY:transituion.thumb.jpg.f89132966117ffa55cff82cf0f931094.jpg

I'll scan the trimmed version later. I can't remember if I left the artist name on for balance, but if I did =- something like this but I rounded the corners.:

2015734000_transituion2.thumb.jpg.1e2e6c0504cab08696945a3e66ea2c81.jpg

Wait, is that info on every card? 😮

euripides
13 hours ago, cosita said:

This YouTube tutorial might help! It has a really good tip about how to get the edges evenly cut.

Oh that is helpful. That idea of using the set-square to physically position the card is brilliant.

21 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Wait, is that info on every card? 😮

Indeed it is - isn't it AWFUL. There is a long story behind it; it started out as crowdfunded with larger cards and none of that nasty crap and didn't make it, so this was how they modified it to make it work. No-one understood why they did that.- it was still inexcusable.

https://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-pink-for-cancer/

The brought out a second edition without it - but those of us who bought the original got the monstrosity. I MUST get my trimmed one out for you to see. It was SO much better.

image.thumb.png.8779921b6fdf2e7df83f408ac23e55a2.png

The Pink is the only deck I trimmed in 10+ years - it was just a dreadful thing. I took off the artist's name from each card as well, but rote them into the LWB - which DIDN'T have them! A bizarre production.

I did it with a craft knife and a steel rule, on a cutting mat.

Gregory kindly cornered it for me as I don't have a corner rounder :classic_smile:

Edited by PathWalker

katrinka
On 8/28/2021 at 9:24 AM, gregory said:

I trimmed the Pink. With scissors.

For some reason, for a split second my brain scrambled that into a deck trimmed with pinking shears.
THAT would make for a challenging shuffle. 🤣

bastetly
On 8/28/2021 at 8:48 AM, cosita said:

This YouTube tutorial might help! It has a really good tip about how to get the edges evenly cut.

And she used a deck that I've always wanted to trim!  I personally prefer a little bit of border to protect the art, which on the llewellyn is already quite small.   What were they thinking?

The Druidcraft Tarol was the very first deck I trimmed.  I loved the original deck, but found I wasn't using it as much as I wanted to because of the huge card size ...hard to shuffle and took up practically the entire table to lay out.  But I was scared to ruin it.  SO....I took the coward's way out.  I knuckled down and bought another (used) copy of the deck from eBay. 

I am pretty familiar with the deck, so I decided to go my dinger and trim all the borders off (with scissors and a corner rounding punch to finish), including trimming off the identifying name of each card.  And hey, it not only worked, but they are now fantastic to look at AND use.  I have the book that goes with the deck, so if I do experience momentary puzzlement as to what each card is, I can look it up.  But thus far, no problems.

It does leave the back of the card design off-centre, but I can live with that.  You could also trim the sides and the top and only a bit off the bottom, leaving the printing intact, if you wanted to. But I didn't bother.

I was so pleased with the result (and still have my original deck untouched) that I immediately beasted in and did several other decks as well. 

If you are worried about ruining a deck, try to ensure you have a good copy as backup.  And maybe try your first time using a fairly inexpensive deck, or one you're not terribly fond of. But the results are really worth it.  At least I think so!  🙂

I'm super curious about this. How do people keep the edges from fraying? Is that ever an issue? Do you have to be extra careful with those decks?

I might have to get the borderless Tarot of Pagan Cats (I can't find the bordered version) but the purple bit at the bottom is SO distracting to me, so I think I'd probably end up trimming it.

7 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

it has never changed the basic construction integrity of any deck I've trimmed.  Modern cardstock isn't fluffy in the middle like quilt batting. 

Although if your scissors, exacto blade, slide cutter isn't razor sharp your edges won't be clean and sharp. 

I'm so relieved to hear this! And thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to use something properly sharp. 🙂