Techniques?

Charlie22

Charlie22

Hello again everyone, and thank you all so much for making me feel so welcome, I already feel at home 🙂

I was just wondering what peoples "go to" techniques/layouts/spreads are..

For example, If I'm going to do a reading for another person, I generally go for the Celtic cross, I think this is because I'm comfortable with this layout and I always feel a nervous pressure when I am reading for other people.

However, when I'm reading for myself, I use a large variety of layouts, and techniques. 

I love looking a new spreads and learning new techniques, so some new ideas would be great 🙂

Thanks all 

You are asking a lot in one thread @Charlie22, everything at once 🙂

There are a lot of old threads on the forum discussing many different ideas here.

Also we have a spread section which is different to the techniques here. Perhaps this thread would be better in the spreads area, it seems to be more about reading layouts rather than techniques and methods.

What do you think? I can move it over there if you like 🙂

or we can do a spreads thread and best reading techniques thread

Charlie22

@dan

3 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

You are asking a lot in one thread @Charlie22, everything at once 🙂

There are a lot of old threads on the forum discussing many different ideas here.

Also we have a spread section which is different to the techniques here. Perhaps this thread would be better in the spreads area, it seems to be more about reading layouts rather than techniques and methods.

What do you think? I can move it over there if you like 🙂

or we can do a spreads thread and best reading techniques thread

Hi Daniel , my apologies. 

I also just found a link which I think you posted for AT forum with all of their spreads, which is amazing.

I guess what I actually wanna know more about peoples reading techniques, whether they use a spread or if they let the cards speak for themselves, or the way in which they pull the cards, so their techniques around the reading. I hope this makes sense.

Please move where you find appropriate, I will try to be more specific next time 🙂

Thanks for your help

No worries, specific questions and discussions often work better here 🙂

The AT archived Spread Index is truly amazing there and one of my most important bookmarked sites in my tarot section of my browser bookmarks 😆

We are slowly building our own area here.

Cool :cool: for what you want to ask the thread is then fine here, to get everyone's fave reading techniques.

You might be interested in this recent thread about not using spreads with set positions as a technique here....

I'd be curious to hear more about what "techniques" others have for how they pull cards and/or the philosophy behind it.

I usually spread cards out in a large, loose pile and mix them up while grounding into a question/query. I'd tried spreading them out in an even row like playing cards, but somehow that feels too constricted.

A year ago, I started a practice of stating, "I give permission for these cards to tell me what I need to know" before I focus on a particular question for myself. It's very centering and open way to begin the reading.

33 minutes ago, noese said:

I'd be curious to hear more about what "techniques" others have for how they pull cards and/or the philosophy behind it.

I usually spread cards out in a large, loose pile and mix them up while grounding into a question/query. I'd tried spreading them out in an even row like playing cards, but somehow that feels too constricted.

A year ago, I started a practice of stating, "I give permission for these cards to tell me what I need to know" before I focus on a particular question for myself. It's very centering and open way to begin the reading.

Hey noese good question! I concentrate on the question and shuffle the cards. Then I fan them out a draw. But in opinion everyone does it how they feel to do it. If more people join in the discussion I will split this off, into its own thread. 😊

I used to use a variety of spreads, but as time has passed I mostly use some kind of 3 card spread (see the spreads list, there are hundreds)   when I'm reading for clients, and then pull cards until the reading feels done, which can be anywhere from only three cards,  up to about 10 cards - but the average is probably 6.  

I will still use a spread with more fixed meanings sometimes, but for myself, the free flow of ideas seems to work better.  

I'm very new so find the celtic cross a bit daunting. 

Are particular spreads recommended for questions?  For example a general future reading is the Celtic cross the best? 

I expect you'll get as many different answers as respondents here... we all have so many ways of working. 

I find I do best with a three card spread as it allows me to see connections and directions and contrasts, without overtaxing my tired brain. I need a lot of time and space if I do a big spread. I did find a nice six-card spread recently that worked well - having the two groups of three. 

I used to do one card draws a lot, or not use spreads, but I find that with my mindset I have a tendency to focus on the negatives, so I need to use a spread with clear positions to allow the deck to speak positively to me. 

I use different spreads depending on the reading, I see on here often that people use the wrong spread for the reading and then need help in the readings area. You have to think a little about what you are reading on and what fits best? It's a whole process, what deck and what spread (or freehand spread) should I use here? Celtic Cross is very tricky for beginners, it's a lot of positions, it's a large spread. It takes your time and energy to use it for every reading. I think for many questions you can do it in 3 cards! That's what I do a lot. Celtic Cross is excellent for in-depth exploration and looking at the options, so use it for when you want to really explore the whole situation. But it's not good for "how will my month go?" totally wrong!

There are a lot of spreads out there and you can also just lay down as many cards as you want. You can also make your own spreads (but write down the card positions you make first because I always forget them after dealing 🙂 ). But just a guide, spreads with more cards go more in-depth at exploring a situation or question but they take more time and energy to work on. over 8 cards is a large spread, 4 to 8 is a medium spread and under 3 is a small spread. Some people just pull 1 card on a question or up to 3. Less cards give you a quicker smaller answer but sometimes smaller readings are fine and you don't need to give it so much of your time. Freehand readings or just laying out cards gives you whatever comes up and explores what happens. But if you are confused about what you are reading on when you do a spread, make sure you have proper positions, that formal structure of a spread is so useful for getting clarity. Positions are really important for love readings where there are issues between people but the Celtic Cross is not always the best for that either.

Experiment with it! Try different techniques and spreads for different questions. Don't just do the same for every reading 🙂

Be discerning about your reading, think about it a little. What deck would work best? What question would work best? What spread would work best here?

I'm brand new, only got my first deck on Sat, but my "gut feeling" for pulling cards was to spread them out (on my lounge, but maybe use a table!) and then shuffle, and then pick the top cards for however many cards I need. I started with a 3 card past present future, so the card at the top of the deck I put down as past, the second card was present and the 3rd card was future.

I've had others do readings for me with large number of cards (one was 17) and fanned them out for me to choose. In the 17 card reading only about 10 cards really caught my attention and then I felt like I was 'wasting time' waiting for more to come to my attention and somewhat picking random cards. So when I do my own, so far, I've just trusted that the right cards will be the ones I pull from the top of the deck. That may not work with more cards but so far it's felt the right approach for me. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Our Forum host is raising their prices, so every little bit helps!

Guests

Thank you for paying us a visit!

Please consider joining and the Google Ads will vanish.

Registered Members

The only ads you will see are those run by your fellow readers.

Please consider turning off AdBlock so their contribution isn't in vain!