First proper deck!

Kliz

My new deck arrived today! Super excited. I've had a few readings done for me over the years but I've never tried doing it myself. But the other day I felt compelled to learn, and this was the first thing that came up when I searched 'tarot deck'. I absolutely love it and feel it's meant to be. Already a card fell out when I was looking through them and when I looked up the meaning it really spoke to me 😊

One question though. The reading info that came with this deck is quite small and for a newbie like me, it doesn't tell me much to be able to do a good reading. Can I search online for more info for the cards (eg a specific card always means a specific thing regardless of deck) or can there be variations across decks so best not to google to my heart's content?

20220514_172627.jpg

Edited by Kliz

1 hour ago, Kliz said:

My new deck arrived today! Super excited. I've had a few readings done for me over the years but I've never tried doing it myself. But the other day I felt compelled to learn, and this was the first thing that came up when I searched 'tarot deck'. I absolutely love it and feel it's meant to be. Already a card fell out when I was looking through them and when I looked up the meaning it really spoke to me 😊

One question though. The reading info that came with this deck is quite small and for a newbie like me, it doesn't tell me much to be able to do a good reading. Can I search online for more info for the cards (eg a specific card always means a specific thing regardless of deck) or can there be variations across decks so best not to google to my heart's content?

I don't own this deck, but here's some general advice:

- a lot of online websites use the Rider-Waite Smith (RWS) deck as their basis, so compare your decks images with the RWS images (e.g. at http://learntarot.com/cards.htm  )

- if they have similar symbolism then googling would probably be okay 

- if not, but you want to learn the traditional meanings then go ahead and Google and assign the traditional meanings to the cards instead of what the author has written

It depends how you want to use the deck.  I find each deck to have its slight variations in meanings and it bugs me to use traditional meanings because I'm a semi intuitive reader, I use the picturesa lot in my interpretations.

Hopefully someone who owns the deck will come along with some advice too 😊

Have a look at our big thread of free online reading resources online @Kliz here.....

One of those options, Learn Tarot is a great lesson by lesson learning course. It also has a good guide to the cards with signposted "properties" of each card.

You also probably got a little book with the deck with basic info about each card (we refer to it on the forum as a LWB - Little White Book). There are some card meaning sites on that page as well, so you can look up. You can also search google for meanings for that card. Also you can search for that card and gilded tarot, sometimes people blog or will study the card somewhere online. A lot of learning and meaning sites use RWS as their standard deck (Rider Waite Smith) but you can just apply it to your cards.

We used to have an old tarot forum before this one that sadly closed down after 16 years and we grew out of that. That site is now a read only archive and I found for you their study group of this deck.....

The Gilded Tarot Study Group You can see discussions in the past card by card.

Interpretations of the cards are just other people's opinions and you can agree or disagree with them, different books or websites are just different author's opinions. But they get to the essence of the cards and their artwork. As you start to learn, you have your own views of the cards. I think for many of us as well we read the artwork, what is the picture saying to you? There is an intuitive element in most readings to a certain degree. Most people learn or study and learn the basics about each card. What is it's purpose there and what do the symbols mean? As people get better they read the pictures and tend to not use interpretations very often. Also it's a journey, it takes time and you will get better as it as you use them 🙂

1 minute ago, DanielJUK said:

cross posted with @stephanelli and glad we agree about learntarot 🙂

Also forgot to say, congrats on getting your first deck @Kliz :78496:🥳

😄 I still regularly use the learntarot to look things up when it comes to helping out with RWS deck questions 😆 I don't have a RWS deck so it doesn't come naturally to me.  I think the closest I have is the Herbal Tarot or the Triple Goddess Tarot, but they have ever so slightly differences that get me confused!

One day I'll actually remember to own an RWS deck...

🤣 wow, what a revelation! 😆 Many people also don't ever own a RWS and I really believe that finding decks which fit you and what you like and has artwork you love is always the most important. Some people buy RWS and cannot stand it! It's one of my faves though and my oldest deck 🙂 . It is a bit annoying that all books and learning resources tend to use it but I guess it's hard to cater for every deck out there in a learning book!

Congratulations @Kliz! I love this deck! So wonderful 🙂

Biddy Tarot is a great resource for card meanings online. But I think YouTube will be super helpful for you.
Tarot Oracle has a full beginners & intermediate (and probably advanced - I can't remember), courses for free on his YouTube. Just look up his playlist.

As far as books - (although you didn't ask), I really love Advanced Tarot by Paul Fenton Smith. It really takes you from A to Z and is super comprehensive.

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, stephanelli said:

I don't own this deck, but here's some general advice:

- a lot of online websites use the Rider-Waite Smith (RWS) deck as their basis, so compare your decks images with the RWS images (e.g. at http://learntarot.com/cards.htm  )

- if they have similar symbolism then googling would probably be okay 

- if not, but you want to learn the traditional meanings then go ahead and Google and assign the traditional meanings to the cards instead of what the author has written

It depends how you want to use the deck.  I find each deck to have its slight variations in meanings and it bugs me to use traditional meanings because I'm a semi intuitive reader, I use the picturesa lot in my interpretations.

Hopefully someone who owns the deck will come along with some advice too 😊

Thanks for the link and info! I'll compare it to the RWS deck as a start. 

3 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

Have a look at our big thread of free online reading resources online @Kliz here.....

One of those options, Learn Tarot is a great lesson by lesson learning course. It also has a good guide to the cards with signposted "properties" of each card.

You also probably got a little book with the deck with basic info about each card (we refer to it on the forum as a LWB - Little White Book). There are some card meaning sites on that page as well, so you can look up. You can also search google for meanings for that card. Also you can search for that card and gilded tarot, sometimes people blog or will study the card somewhere online. A lot of learning and meaning sites use RWS as their standard deck (Rider Waite Smith) but you can just apply it to your cards.

We used to have an old tarot forum before this one that sadly closed down after 16 years and we grew out of that. That site is now a read only archive and I found for you their study group of this deck.....

The Gilded Tarot Study Group You can see discussions in the past card by card.

Interpretations of the cards are just other people's opinions and you can agree or disagree with them, different books or websites are just different author's opinions. But they get to the essence of the cards and their artwork. As you start to learn, you have your own views of the cards. I think for many of us as well we read the artwork, what is the picture saying to you? There is an intuitive element in most readings to a certain degree. Most people learn or study and learn the basics about each card. What is it's purpose there and what do the symbols mean? As people get better they read the pictures and tend to not use interpretations very often. Also it's a journey, it takes time and you will get better as it as you use them 🙂

Thanks so much for the info and links. I'll check them out. That's all really helpful.

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Congratulations @Kliz! I love this deck! So wonderful 🙂

Biddy Tarot is a great resource for card meanings online. But I think YouTube will be super helpful for you.
Tarot Oracle has a full beginners & intermediate (and probably advanced - I can't remember), courses for free on his YouTube. Just look up his playlist.

As far as books - (although you didn't ask), I really love Advanced Tarot by Paul Fenton Smith. It really takes you from A to Z and is super comprehensive.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'll check those out.

I was gifted a mini version of this deck that alas, had no LWB. It's gorgeous and RWS study will help with the deck. They are very similar. While every symbol won't be included in this deck, I'm sure you will have good luck with that. I have bookmarked the Aeclectic deck study on it to go over myself at some time. Maybe at some point we can start a study of it here. 😄

Edited by AnomalyTempest

Do any of Ciro's decks come with anything but an LWB?  I don't think I've ever seen one that does except perhaps "Easy Tarot" where the deck is Marchetti's Gilded Tarot and the book is written by Josephine Ellershaw

Perhaps someone here who doesn't have a completionist mindset wouldn't mind parting with their copy.  I don't personally have it and I have no idea if the book is any good.

Edited by RunningWild

42 minutes ago, RunningWild said:

Do any of Ciro's decks come with anything but an LWB?  I don't think I've ever seen one that does except perhaps "Easy Tarot" where the deck is Marchetti's Gilded Tarot and the book is written by Josephine Ellershaw

Perhaps someone here who doesn't have a completionist mindset wouldn't mind parting with their copy.  I don't personally have it and I have no idea if the book is any good.

I really don't know if there are books. I was gifted this deck, and though it looks like there is room in the little tuck box for an LWB or perhaps one of those folded paper mat type things there isn't one. Since I didn't buy the deck and it appears to be used I couldn't say for sure whether there ever was one or not. I suppose I could google it but it might be a day or two before I try that. I'm supposed to be doing adult things right now. 🕵️‍♀️

Edited to add: I did google it and there is a set on Ebay that comes with 224 page guidebook. Now I have something else on my wish list.

Edited by AnomalyTempest

I think the standard Royale has a LWB, there is a big box set version with the book. Ciro's latest decks (in the last 5 years or so) all come with a PDF you can download from his website. They are pretty well made and illustrated with a range of people giving interpretations to each card. So I think he is moving to PDF's you download but not the early decks.

There's a book with/for the Gilded - by Barbara Moore, so it's GOOD (the one in the box with the Easy Tarot is by Josephine Ellershaw, and isn't nearly as good.) There's one by Lee Bursten for Tarot of Dreams.

I see people are selling a pdf of the book for the Gilded Royale, qhich I'm fairly sure is a pirate thing, so I wouldn't touch it.

Oh I must get my Ciro deck out, I haven't read with it in years. His work is lovely.  I'm sure you'll enjoy this one. Isn't it delightful to have your own deck in your hands!

10 hours ago, AnomalyTempest said:

I was gifted a mini version of this deck that alas, had no LWB. It's gorgeous and RWS study will help with the deck. They are very similar. While every symbol won't be included in this deck, I'm sure you will have good luck with that. I have bookmarked the Aeclectic deck study on it to go over myself at some time. Maybe at some point we can start a study of it here. 😄

That's a great idea! I'd love to have a study group for the deck. You're not missing much with the LWB. It's only a sentence or two for each card. 

9 hours ago, RunningWild said:

I've been searching on google, but can't find anything other then the "Easy Tarot" book you mention. I'm not against buying it, but it does come with a deck, which I don't need seeing I just got this one. I'd also like to hear people's reviews of whether it pairs well (I'm not sure if it was written specifically for the deck or not) before I but it. 

9 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

I think the standard Royale has a LWB, there is a big box set version with the book. Ciro's latest decks (in the last 5 years or so) all come with a PDF you can download from his website. They are pretty well made and illustrated with a range of people giving interpretations to each card. So I think he is moving to PDF's you download but not the early decks.

AT the risk of looking like a fool, where on his website can I find the PDFs? I have looked, but not seeing them. 

8 hours ago, gregory said:

There's a book with/for the Gilded - by Barbara Moore, so it's GOOD (the one in the box with the Easy Tarot is by Josephine Ellershaw, and isn't nearly as good.) There's one by Lee Bursten for Tarot of Dreams.

I see people are selling a pdf of the book for the Gilded Royale, qhich I'm fairly sure is a pirate thing, so I wouldn't touch it.

Thanks! I'll search for the Barbara Moore book 🙂

5 hours ago, Kliz said:

AT the risk of looking like a fool, where on his website can I find the PDFs? I have looked, but not seeing them. 

I think you get a link when you buy a deck....

But here's the one for his "Marchetti" deck by Lee Bursten - who is also good; I am just a huge Barbara fan.

https://www.ciromarchetti.com/_files/ugd/b67f26_11f10ce8292e4522b7461be5237d047b.pdf

and here's the one for his "Encore" deck.

https://www.ciromarchetti.com/_files/ugd/b67f26_c27530cbc48b4b04b5bd0852587e4554.pdf

Edited by gregory

2 minutes ago, gregory said:

I think you get a link when you buy a deck....

But here's the one for his "Marchetti" deck by Lee Bursten - who is also good; I am just a huge Barbara fan.

https://www.ciromarchetti.com/_files/ugd/b67f26_11f10ce8292e4522b7461be5237d047b.pdf

Thanks. I bought the deck, but there is no link. Just the LWB that has very basic info, only a couple of lines per card.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Our Forum host is raising their prices, so every little bit helps!

Guests

Thank you for paying us a visit!

Please consider joining and the Google Ads will vanish.

Registered Members

The only ads you will see are those run by your fellow readers.

Please consider turning off AdBlock so their contribution isn't in vain!