Opinions on the artwork for new deck please!

52ravens

faerybraids

Sorry I'm laaate ^^;; (52ravens[/member] Is that a challenge? xD )

Five of Wands -- I love it! The subtle changes to the perspective and the colouring work really well (along with the removal of the R2 dog, lol). Everything feels a bit more tightened up. A few of the snowflakes seem maybe a tad large, but I wonder if that's just coz they're sort of focused over the red dress? (That might just be my display not picking up on other snowflakes, though... It might be the whole white-on-white thing about snow in the other areas of the image, but the flow of the snowfall looks a bit unnatural because of that concentration on the red, I think.)

Four of Wands -- Also love! I really like the change of models, and I think the blossoms are a really nice touch. There's something peaceful yet jubilant about it. (^ ꒳ ^❀)

Great, I'll come back to 5W with some refresh eyes and maybe this will stand out for me too. Moving on to the next 3 cards.

Hopefully 6W looks like she is a returning and victorious "warrior", 7W is setting up her defences behind a line of wands, and 8W, well I crumbled and just went with the standard layout.

I like them, but let me know how the meanings sit with you and how you see them.

;D 

w6-8.jpg

faerybraids

Sorry I've sat on this so long. ^^; It's the Six of Wands that's throwing me off a bit... I haven't been able to place quite what it is, but my closest guess would be that the model looks a bit stiff.

Although, to be completely honest, it could also be because I'm just not connecting with it much. (I actually had to pull out the copy of Holistic Tarot I have out from the library. ^^;; It's a card I've had difficulty connecting with even in my Starchild Akashic deck--the only version of this card that comes with ease is my Royo Dark Mini's, which is quite a different depiction--so I figured I needed to see how different a typical RWS interpretation might be.) In my RDM's case it usually makes me think of a (often weary) warrior, someone with battles behind them, but they're alive and who knows what they'll face up against next or when. (Kind of a "every moment I'm still here is a battle won"-type thing, with a final victory still being ages away. If you've ever experienced a nasty period of something like major depression or recovering from addiction this might resonate with you.) Most of the RWS interpretations I've found online contradict each other in some way or another, but most do seem to be more positive than that (at least upright)--everything from a general victory to a sort of "you aced the test, now you just need to keep it up for your final exam"-type thing, a small victory on the path to a larger one at the end. (I guess the phrase "you've won the battle, but not the war" applies here?) Given my own disconnect with the card in general (not just your depiction of it) I hope Starlight[/member] can help you more than I can with how well the image resonates.

I really like the Seven of Wands. There's something about the nonchalant way she's standing and how the wands are in the ground, and how her eyes are focused on you like she's much more alert and ready than you realise, like she's saying "You sure you want to try this? Come and get me(/whatever she's set up to protect)". There's a strong magical defense thing coming from it that I like.

The Eight of Wands is a gorgeous rendition of the RWS card. I still love you gave the wands the details you did, and the landscape makes me feel at home, haha. Not much else to say on it though.

I hope some of that helps. ^^

Sorry I've sat on this so long.

faerybraids[/member] Haha there is no rush  8)

The Six of Wands does have more of an elegant victor other that battle warn. I didn't want to add more people (which is my gut reaction) as it will start to look too heroic but lets see if anyone else can see any issues or feel it doesn't think connects with the meaning as mush as it should.

Seven - I'm glad she works for you as I didn't want to change her too much, I think this works.

And Eight is a clone but keeping close to my vision, so I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the help lets see if anyone else has anything to put across, if not we'll move on  ;D

faerybraids

Sorry I've sat on this so long.

faerybraids[/member] Haha there is no rush  8)

Ty (/‿\✿)

The Six of Wands does have more of an elegant victor other that battle warn. I didn't want to add more people (which is my gut reaction) as it will start to look too heroic but lets see if anyone else can see any issues or feel it doesn't think connects with the meaning as mush as it should.

Awesome. ;D I do hope someone else comments on the Six. I feel like looking into it last night just confused me even more re: interpretations of it, so I'd love to see another opinion. I don't feel it's really fair for my opinion to be the only one out there when it comes from my understanding of a specific card from a specific deck that's got some incredibly different portrayals to yours instead of an understanding of how it's depicted in many decks. :-[ (I'm still trying, but I keep failing. I'm not sure what it is about it that makes it so difficult for me... Maybe one day I'll get it.)

And Eight is a clone but keeping close to my vision, so I'm happy with it.

I'm glad. ^^

Hi again. I'll be in and out of here intermittently as things are a bit busy just now.

6W - to me this is about success AND public recognition of that success. The RWS has a figure wearing a laurel wreath riding a horse, a bit like he's in a parade. He's carrying a staff with a laurel wreath hanging on it, and there are some people behind him also holding staves.

Maybe there needs to be a few other people in the 6W card to indicate the public recognition aspect of that card? I know you didn't want to add any more people, so perhaps if you can think of another way to show public recognition that would work too. :)

I agree with Faerybraid's take on it that it's about winning a battle rather than a war. In that respect, the woman on the horse fits in. I do see what Faerybraid's means about the woman being stiff; my initial thought when I saw her (before reading anything here) was that she was standing up in the stirruprs to wave her staff even higher.

faerybraids[/member] & Starlight[/member] I love that when I post 3 new cards, I think to myself "This one might not pass, but this one will." and I'm wrong every time  ;D

The six of Wands is a difficult one to depict. If public recognition is a big part of the meaning I'll have to add some more people as I'm drawing a blank on any other way to show this. Maybe a new scene without the horse will tone down the heroic angle and make it more about success.

Let me have a think and see what I can come up with, it might be that I just add more people to this version but lets start with a fresh canvas and look at it again

Thank you!

HAPPY WEEKEND! ;D

Today I have the new Six of Wands. The tone is a little somber but I hope that it reflects the "end of one battle but the start of the war" theme. Also with the witches behind her with their hands on her shoulder it shows recognition from others. I was going to arm them all with wands but felt this distracted from the central character.

Let me know your thoughts  ^-^

5w.jpg

Hey, sorry for the delay in the progress, I've been super busy with my current kickstarter.

If no one has any issues with the new 6 of Wands, lets move on to the next 3 cards  ;D

Thanks for all your help

9-11w.jpg

Hey!

I’m creating a new tarot deck and wanted to get some opinions on the artwork.

The deck is called ‘The witches of the Crescent Moon’ and will be an all female deck, thought the card names will remain the same ;)

I’ve added ‘The Fool’ card below but please take a look at my Facebook page as I will be posting a new artwork each day.

facebook.com/WitchesOfTheCrescentMoon

Once all the artwork has been completed I hope to launch on kickstater.com for funding but I wanted to get some opinions of the style or if you spot something I could be doing wrong as I’m not a tarot card user, just a designer haha.

Sorry if you’ve seen this post on another forum, I want to get as many eyes as possible, though it seems the tarot community is spread out after the closer of the biggest :(

Thanks for your time and please don’t hold back

Kirk

fool.jpg

I'm very late to this discussion but I really like this version of your Fool.

As some of the other commentators have said, this deck is your creation and whilst you need some understanding of tarot structure and symbolism, that will develop as you progress.

You don't have to stick to RWS symbolism.  'The Ancestral Path Tarot' by Julia Cuccia Watts didn't and I attach her Fool.  When I was learning Tarot, this deck was one of the most exciting to me.  Julia's Fool was radical for a whole lot of reasons, one of which was that she is female - but look at the symbolism!

I love this version because your Fool looks pensive as she starts her journey and the wolf is looking after her - I love it!

You capture both the uncertainty and possibility of the journey.  Well done!

PS:  The attachment could not be saved but you should be able google the card/deck and see it.  Hope so.

faerybraids

Heyyy, sorry for being absent so long. @___@;;

I felt an instant connection to that Six of Wands, so that's pretty cool. There's something about her looking that bit older than the other two women that seems to work really well for me. I find the two women themselves intriguing: I feel like they can either be blessing the main woman on her way forward, consoling her for what's been won/lost (considering some successes are bittersweet at best) or welcoming her home for rest. Flipping it seems to make those things even more insidious for me (especially the welcoming/rest part), which I greatly appreciate--I feel like this card could be mined for depths compared to some other depictions of it I can think of. Despite the weight of everything it feels like we'll never quite know what the weight is from--is it just stress from having battled hard, but the outcome was good or happy? Was the outcome bittersweet and she's considering whether it was worth what she sacrificed? Is it the dread of what's to come?

I'm also really liking the touch of lavender for some reason. Like, really, really liking it. There's something wholly healing about it, yet looked at from another angle it's almost mocking.

Nine of Wands: Love. Please don't change. (^∇^❀) I feel like there's a nice sense of play here, like she's sitting there with her artwork all around her knowing that she's almost done and feeling that bubbly "it's almost there!" feeling when you're so close to being done a project that you just have to take a break to get your favourite treat of choice/chat a bit with friends/etc. and just dance around a little and celebrate. Same time it looks like she could easily go back to her work to finish--or not, depending on where it lands in a spread. It's adorable yet has the potential to be quite serious.

I feel I need to contemplate the next two a bit more, so I'll come back to them later. I can say I like the colour scheme for the Ten of Wands, but beyond that I feel like I'm grasping for my thoughts and feelings like Harry grasps for the flying keys in The Philosopher's Stone. Methinks food and tea is in order.

@Romulus - Thank you, how do the meanings of the cards fit with you?

MollyCat[/member] - Welcome  ;D I'll definitely take a look at the Ancestral Path tarot for some inspiration, its really nice work. I like the idea of sticking close to the RWS symbolism so that the deck can appeal to beginners and seem familiar to the experienced. I'd be interested to know if you think this would turn people away from the deck. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the cards I post along the way to see what the artwork says to you as a reader. The more people that can offer their opinion can only help to shape the deck for the better, and I'm happy to do so. I know its about my vision as an artist but a voice in the back of my mind constantly reminds me that what use is this vision if people have to constantly read the guide to know what I'm trying to show?

faerybraids[/member] - oh I remember you! (Just kidding, no rush haha). I really do look forward to explanations of what you see in the cards. I feel you end up seeing way more that I do, but I guess this is the gift that comes with...experience? or is the sort of thing where you either have it or you don't? It great the Six of Wands is working as I'm very happy with it, see what a little guidance and produce? haha

I'm gland the Nine of Wands comes across well, I'd like to know what others get from the vision I had.

Get yourself feed and watered and we'll talk soon.

Thank you all for posting, I really do appreciate the kindness  <3

I really like the 9 of Wands.  I think it reflects the near end of a long and difficult struggle beautifully. The figure is taking temporary respite but looking into the future.

The 10 of Wands is stunning, however.  You can see it is the end of the journey as the figure holds the wands together and walks towards the sun.  You've captured the light and energy of the wands suit beautifully.  I love the sun symbolism.  It seems to mean both hope and achievement.

The style of your work is very attractive.  You can paint/draw and there is an atmosphere in your work that draws us in.

Having said that, I'm not sure about the Page!  Her clothing seems incongruous but I haven't seen your other Pages or read your thinking about the meaning of the clothing.  I like the idea that that the pathway behind her is cool and leafy.  Seems a good metaphor for how our lives before we enter a Wands path or become affected by Wands energy.

faerybraids

faerybraids[/member] - oh I remember you! (Just kidding, no rush haha). I really do look forward to explanations of what you see in the cards. I feel you end up seeing way more that I do, but I guess this is the gift that comes with...experience? or is the sort of thing where you either have it or you don't?

(/‿\❀) I'm not really sure what it comes from (the universe? idk), but I've always had it. It's definitely not exclusive to tarot, it's just a...thing...I guess. The connection doesn't always happen right away, and sometimes not at all, but when it does stuff just comes to me. It means I'm really not the person to bring to art galleries if you don't want your ear talked off. xD (Or me not noticing you because I'm so absorbed by something. That happens too.)

Okay, so! The Ten of Wands: I'm still loving the colours. A journey feels complete, and I love the sense that... Urgh, struggling for words here-- I like that there seems to be an acknowledgement that this completion doesn't necessarily mean the end. There's still the possibility of struggles ahead, of needing to remain prepared despite the journey being over. A journey ending leads to change, and I like how this change could be the figure choosing to move forwards, adding another leg to their journey or considering it a completely separate start of one, or backwards when they've come. If they move forwards are they going to reach the true end of their journey, and how long will it take? (Is the end across the inhospitable terrain? Or is it a city or oasis just on the other side of that sand dune?) If they move backwards are they retracing their steps and attempting to live in the past? Or is backtracking a journey in and of itself? Is there a place directly behind them where they can rest, or is the last point of rest a long travel behind them? Endings are new beginnings and I love how there's that acknowledgement that, in the end, we choose whether to continue on past that ending or not.

Page of Wands: I'm still not sure on this one. I think it's pretty cool that I can see a stylised horse in the patterns of light and shadow around her, like her spirit is that of a horse or her guide is one, or that she's somehow otherwise channeling the energy of a horse. I keep feeling like a herd of horses is running through grass around me when I look at her now that I've noticed it, and I quite like it as a representation of the energy and enthusiasm that can come with this card. It aligns with older interpretations of the Page of Wands being a messenger bearing news to boot. I think I'm liking it the more I look at it, though I'm not sure whether others will see it. (It's taken me this long to notice, which I'd consider much too long for a normal reading. (◔◡◔❀) But at the same time I can't not see it now that I have--before I was just conflicted on what the card meant, thinking the figure was too headstrong and one-sided in her pose, but now new possibilities are opening up to me. She doesn't seem quite as brutish, rather just someone so into her training that she's channeling the energy she wants to channel or unlocking the energy within that can only be unlocked with such devotion. I'm still not sure I'd consider it a balanced approach to the card, but, like I said, it is growing on me. I'm curious to see what other people think.)

MollyCat[/member] - Thanks for your thoughts, I hope you can stay and help as I post more?  ;D

-

So the Page of Wands is proving a little tough for two people now, let me take another look at the meanings and see what I can come up with.

THANK YOU!

Hey, so I've been looking at the Page of Wands again, and I'm struggling to find another depiction that would work for the meaning of the card, without replicating what I've already done.

This is what I can gather, the card is about a person that lacks experience, confidence but doesn't like to sit still too long? So I have her dancing/casting alone in the forest, practicing without the judgement of others.

Am I missing anything key here? If not, I may keep this one as it is. I like the composition and the mood, so maybe it should stay as it is or one to come back to. I'd love to move forward, the King of Wands is one you'll all question haha

Hey, sorry for the delay in the progress, I've been super busy with my current kickstarter.

If no one has any issues with the new 6 of Wands, lets move on to the next 3 cards  ;D

Thanks for all your help

9-11w.jpg

Really like the 9W, the 10 (if following the RWS) usually has somebody who looks burdened. This character doesn't look particularly burdened, but you may have had other interpretations for the card which is why your own LWB will be invaluable. :)

The Page of Wands is interesting. Could you share how your envisioned her?

ETA: Ah, I'm not the only one who isn't completely sure about the Page! I've just read the other comments. That's why I wondered how you envisioned her. :)

Starlight[/member] - Yes a small LWB will be needed I think, I'm pretty much a RWS clone with some slight differences, but I'm ok with that  ;D

As I said, I've tried coming at the Page of Wands from another angle but feel I'll end up doing something similar to what I already have. From my "research" on the card, what I can gather, is the card is about a person that lacks experience, confidence but doesn't like to sit still too long?

So this character is dancing/casting alone in the forest, practicing, away from the judgement of others. Do you think I am missing anything key from the meaning? Or is it just a tougher card to read compared to the others?

THANK YOU ALL!

Here's a few Page of Wands for you to look at:

8e77009e54f99532f774993be5914c3e.jpg

4dbf244fabbb85ce90e8908af91b79b9.jpg

page-of-wands.jpg

I think the main issue I have with your Page of Wands, as it is right now, is that I would not know this was a page of wands without the title. I'd have to look closely to see what she's holding, and then I'd wonder what this particular page is saying. Practice fighting? Is it a Don Quixote-type energy - "tilting at windmills"?

Have you tried Biddy Tarot for research into the cards? She's very good at explaining the meanings in depth. Branch out into decks other than the RWS, as well, to see what their creators thought about the page of wands. To say that this card is about an inexperienced young person that doesn't like to sit still is just skimming the surface. :)

Sorry for the delay in reply, see the reason below

bella.jpg

Starlight[/member] - Thank you for the images, and Biddy Tarot is great. Reading though their inturprritaion of the Page of Wands, I'm not getting anything new in the way of an image coming to mind to display it differently, maybe I'm just stuck on this one and will have to come back to it. I know it is a lack of experience on my part for not seeing the card the way you guys do, so I'll come back to it with fresh eyes at a later stage. Sometimes this works haha.

Moving on, I know these three cards might pull up the same sort of issue that I'm having with the Page of Wands, but lets see what you guys feel, yes I know thats a unicorn and a giant lizard haha  ;D

Thank you all for the amazing help

w12-14.jpg

Sorry for the delay in reply, see the reason below

bella.jpg

OH WHAT A CUTIE! Does he/she have a name?

Starlight[/member] - Thank you for the images, and Biddy Tarot is great. Reading though their inturprritaion of the Page of Wands, I'm not getting anything new in the way of an image coming to mind to display it differently, maybe I'm just stuck on this one and will have to come back to it. I know it is a lack of experience on my part for not seeing the card the way you guys do, so I'll come back to it with fresh eyes at a later stage. Sometimes this works haha.

Just had a thought. There's an exercise here on TT&M to do with court cards and 60 quirky questions to help people get to grips with them. It's well worth checking out how people see the different characters. :) https://www.thetarotforum.com/60-quirky-court-cards/

Moving on, I know these three cards might pull up the same sort of issue that I'm having with the Page of Wands, but lets see what you guys feel, yes I know thats a unicorn and a giant lizard haha  ;D

Thank you all for the amazing help

Ditto for the thread above. It might be helpful when it comes to getting to grips with the characters/cards. :)

Starlight[/member] - Her name is Bella(trix), and she's taking up all my spare time haha ;D

The 60 quirky questions is pretty cool, I'll take a deeper look at all the posts.

Soooo, all the characters cards are a big "swing and a miss" for conventional meanings? haha

Hey!

As we seem to have hit a bit of a wall with the character cards, lets move on and take a look at the next 3 cards.

Let me know what your thoughts are, your POV is greatly appreciated  ;D

p1-3.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.