This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

Saturn Celeste

jadegreen
5 hours ago, Petalene said:

I assumed between 40 and 50 (I have tarot, oracle, Lenormand, playing cards, and a few others). I counted 95.

If you don't already have your deck collection displayed altogether in a prominent place, like a bookshelf at eye level, that might be a good idea.  Also, you can keep a numbered list of decks you already have.  When you're downsizing, be slow and methodical instead of impulsive (no idea if you have a problem with impulsiveness or not, but I do and I feel kind of bad about getting rid of most of my things in a move several years back.) Also, have you compared and contrasted decks, and tried figuring out which work best for you?

Edited by jadegreen

Petalene
9 hours ago, gregory said:

Ebay. You can shed pretty much everything there. And the money coming in warms your little heart.

And allows you to buy things we CAN mention here, like chocolate. Champagne. Scarves (consult Flizzarage on this one...)

I’ll look into that. I’m undecided about the OOP decks that I don’t use. Those are getting set aside for last. : )

Petalene
9 hours ago, jadegreen said:

If you don't already have your deck collection displayed altogether in a prominent place, like a bookshelf at eye level, that might be a good idea.  Also, you can keep a numbered list of decks you already have.  When you're downsizing, be slow and methodical instead of impulsive (no idea if you have a problem with impulsiveness or not, but I do and I feel kind of bad about getting rid of most of my things in a move several years back.) Also, have you compared and contrasted decks, and tried figuring out which work best for you?

I have a lot of experience decluttering and out of all the things I’ve decluttered, I’ve repurchased exactly one thing. I missed a few others, but not enough to buy again. The list is a good idea, as is being methodical. I also found some questions to ask when deciding about decks, so I started a file and I’ll have a better idea of what I have, where the overlap is, and what I don’t want to keep. It’s really a case of too much stuff in too small a space. Thank you for the suggestions. 

3 hours ago, Petalene said:

I’ll look into that. I’m undecided about the OOP decks that I don’t use. Those are getting set aside for last. : )

There's another forum where Serious Collectors go. It's very quiet, but might be a possibility.

Two years is nothing...you'll still be here, will you still be dithering over decks? Do join the deck of the week group, and honestly cycle through your decks. If you use one every day for 7 days you'll know if it is a keeper or not. 

I would also advice you to list the decks you own and to proceed gradually, even if several years are necessary.

I listed myself the decks I have, with the prices I paid for each of them etc., because I’ll likely downsize my collection at some point, but currently I’m undecided.

I’m a minimalist and have been decluttering my possessions for several years (with a clear aim towards minimalism for probably 1,5-2 years). I have probably gotten rid of around 80% of my personal belongings by now. I still own quite a few decks, but plan on cutting back even further. I have never regretted letting go of a deck. I think that since you know yourself well, then do follow your instinct. Living with less stuff is absolutely life changing! I enjoy my favorite things even more now, and I have indeed kept the most special decks in my collection. But the rest - especially the FOMO stuff, can absolutely go. 

In this thread we can’t help you with the selling of decks (that goes in the Sell/trade section for Forum Subscribers), but if there’s a deck you want to help us to pick apart and point out the flaws, then go ahead (at your own risk…. 😛😈

Petalene

I’m not trying to sell anything right now, so no worries on that front. I have a few FOMO decks I didn’t put any thought into buying. The Spirit/Spencers deck is the worst offender. Everyone was looking for it. Why? So I went looking for it. Why? And then I found a copy with all the cards, I know because I checked, so that means I looked at all of them. Then I bought it. Whyyyyyyy? (I know why - because I was victorious and I found a complete deck.) It was cheap, like $8, but it’s so freaking random and the cards that make sense feel more like sheer dumb luck than a well thought out decision. I never read with it. I spend too much time scratching my head wondering what they were thinking. There’s a kraken on the nine of cups for goodness sake. Why? I will 100% get out my Halloween Tarot any day of the year, because I love Halloween, if I’m craving creepy cute vibe. It’s now in the donate box with a few other decks and it’s staying in the donate box. Progress! Or I may take the Spirit/Spencers deck to Rocky Horror in October and they can be “cards for sorrow and cards for pain.” I normally wouldn’t ever do that with a tarot deck, but that might be a fitting send off, especially because it’s barely a tarot deck. 

@Petalene

Yes, it’s a very first step, and I think you are on the right path since you realize your mistakes.

Go beyond that though, it’s not enough, you are trapped in some compulsive patterns!

Meet again the real Petalene, the one who is free, and of course get rid of this awful deck (the sooner the better!!). Oh My! even its title looks a wrong thing… Pew!

Take care!

Edited by Decan

4 hours ago, Petalene said:

I’m not trying to sell anything right now, so no worries on that front. I have a few FOMO decks I didn’t put any thought into buying. The Spirit/Spencers deck is the worst offender. Everyone was looking for it. Why? So I went looking for it. Why? And then I found a copy with all the cards, I know because I checked, so that means I looked at all of them. Then I bought it. Whyyyyyyy? (I know why - because I was victorious and I found a complete deck.) It was cheap, like $8, but it’s so freaking random and the cards that make sense feel more like sheer dumb luck than a well thought out decision. I never read with it. I spend too much time scratching my head wondering what they were thinking. There’s a kraken on the nine of cups for goodness sake. Why? I will 100% get out my Halloween Tarot any day of the year, because I love Halloween, if I’m craving creepy cute vibe. It’s now in the donate box with a few other decks and it’s staying in the donate box. Progress! Or I may take the Spirit/Spencers deck to Rocky Horror in October and they can be “cards for sorrow and cards for pain.” I normally wouldn’t ever do that with a tarot deck, but that might be a fitting send off, especially because it’s barely a tarot deck. 

I had a halloween tarot too. I think its sitting in my donation box as well. Very cute but does not get used. I tried it and found that it simply has no depth for me, and its also not very on the point. Others may disagree, but they'll have to do so in another thread 😋 I have also fallen in the FOMO trap a couple of times. I have never felt glad about those purchases. I can't recall a single FOMO deck that ended up enriching my life. I find that it strengthens you on a deep and authentic level when you get rid of things that you purchased for the wrong reasons. Whether it was FOMO, or because you thought it would make you different or help your readings become different or whatever. There is real confidence to be found in decluttering!

Simplify Joshua Fields Millburn GIF by The Minimalists

Petalene

Thank you everyone for the comments. This helped get me moving. I think I want to do the deck a week thing, but I’m doing a first pass and removing decks I know that I don’t want to keep. I wrote down why I don’t like the deck and/or why I don’t like reading with it so if I start to have second thoughts, I can remind myself why it’s time to move it along. I’m also making a list of decks that I won’t be buying so if I start wanting a new deck (which I don’t need), I’ll remember why I’m not buying that specific deck. There are a couple that I kind of want, but I know I won’t be happy with and a couple that I will be content to admire from afar, but won’t be buying. I did a reading with the Housewives Tarot and, in its typical blunt and sassy manor, it told me that it won’t be the end of the world if if I let go of something and later miss it. It won’t be like I don’t have another deck I can use instead. 

If anyone is interested, Abundant Life Tarot has a free curating your deck collection class which I’m doing and it’s helping me clarify what I like in a deck and what I don’t like in a deck. I’m getting clearer on why some of the decks I have don’t work and won’t work for me.  Just in case, here’s the link - https://abundantlifetarot.com/abundant-life-tarot-academy-alta/