This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

Saturn Celeste

RunningWild
2 hours ago, Therese said:

Thank you very much for the great response! That was my fear, that it could be more than disturbing. 

And I had to laugh out, @RunningWild, as you said: "Madness takes its toll." 

I can relate to the opinions of you both. 

And yes, it is much too expensive, I agree! I looked at it once and now and again thought of it and couldn't forget the deck. Don't know what it is, probably the wish for a deep psychological deck, but I don't think at all this deck could be this. I find it more dreamlike. 

Glad to have helped out.  Now, it's on MY wish list.

RunningWild
59 minutes ago, gregory said:

Allow me to de-enable you COMPLETELY: under a spoiler so as not to terrify people.

Reveal hidden contents

savage.thumb.jpg.cf0c56393d03ab8bf3693399679fae3d.jpg

That's not scary nor disturbing.  I didn't get a single goosebump.

Hi guys, this might be a little off topic, because there isn't a thread for this for oracles/Lenormand, but can someone de-enable me from buying Fin De Siecle Kipper and Thelema Lenormand? Or at least help me make up my mind which ONE to buy... ahh the temptation to buy both! I don't have a Kipper deck yet but Thelema looks so stunning and I feel connected with it already.

I can only speak on the Fin de siècle Kipper, as I own it. It has a steam punk style, not quite full steam punk but a sort of Victorian life theme. Kippers have more people cards that Lenormand, I personally like them better but they are both interesting. I would look at the artwork of both and maybe videos going through the decks on Youtube and then decide. To de-enable maybe you don't need either of them 😆

I am so bad at de-enabling people here, I apologise! :dancing-cat:

RunningWild
7 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

I am so bad at de-enabling people here, I apologise!

I usually go for the cost if it seems a bit over the top but these are both small decks.

I don't have the Thelema Lenormand.  But it's a lenormand so there's probably not a whole lot creative going on that one.

As for the Fin de Siecle Kipper.  No.  Just no.  Especially if you don't have a kipper already.  I've see loads of youtube readers use that deck as a simple oracle and not read them as a kipper.  There's a good reason for that.  Kipper relies heavily on direction and with the Fin de Siecle, direction is not easily discerned.  Kipper is its own system.  Do you know it?  Are you really going to put in the time to learn it?  Or, are you, as so many other readers seem to do, just going to use it like some ordinary oracle deck?

On 8/2/2022 at 7:54 PM, RunningWild said:

Glad to have helped out.  Now, it's on MY wish list.

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Are you ok with this? 

RunningWild
57 minutes ago, Therese said:

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Are you ok with this? 

Oh yes.  I love the weird, the quirky and the bizarre as long as it's well thought out, of course. 

I was going through my Gilded Reverie Lenormand (marchetti) the other day.  I don't use it much but it is gorgeous.  BUT mine is the mass market edition and the cards all have a sharpish ridge on the back of the edges of the cards.  Like they were just punched out of a sheet.  I think it's us games, and I think I noticed this on another of their decks... oh yes, the Maybe Lenormand mass market, same. 

Since the Fin de Siecle is us games too, there may be the same "problem".  Someone else should be able to verify this. But man is that a tacky aspect.  I cannot really complain otherwise...

11 hours ago, RunningWild said:

Oh yes.  I love the weird, the quirky and the bizarre as long as it's well thought out, of course. 

I'm glad, you'll love this deck! 👍❤️

AJ-ish/Sharyn
19 hours ago, bastetly said:

I was going through my Gilded Reverie Lenormand (marchetti) the other day.  I don't use it much but it is gorgeous.  BUT mine is the mass market edition and the cards all have a sharpish ridge on the back of the edges of the cards.  Like they were just punched out of a sheet.  I

I've had a few of those types of decks over the years, and I used a manicurists sanding block to take off those edges or nubs. 

Hi @Chariot you can always bring any thread on the forum back to life, we like discussions coming back 🙂

This thread is a regular thread, it goes quiet at times and then busy. It's a thread where people post a deck (or decks) they want to get and we talk them out of it! "No you don't need this deck because you already have too many mermaid 🧜‍♀️ decks" (for example) 🙂 . There is a sister thread which is enabling where people post to hear all the good things about a deck. This is a place to be talked out of buying a deck for whatever reason.

I can leave your post here but it's slightly outside of that. Although it does have good advice to de-enable us buying. You made good points in your post about clearing so many decks in your collection, maybe it would be better in it's own discussion thread? 🙂 I can move it to it's own thread if you like. Let me know what will work best for you.

Hi Daniel!  I'm a relative newbie here on this forum, and have only recently been able to start to participate again.  I leave it entirely up to you, whether to keep this here on this thread, or whether to move it elsewhere.  Whatever you think is most appropriate.  🙂 

I put it here in the first place because I didn't want to start another thread on a topic that seemed still ripe for ongoing discussion, even though there was a gap since someone else had contributed to it.  I wanted to list some of my own strategies for 'de-enabling' ...or how to be discriminating about buying new decks, to keep on top of the ones I already have, and to discard any that don't live up to expectations.  If you think that's outside of what the thread was intended to be—which was talking people out of buying specific decks (?) thats fine.  This could be a stand-alone (new) thread.  Whatever you prefer.  It always takes a while to learn 'the done thing' on any forum.

I'm enjoying being 'back,' after a bit of a hiatus.  This is such a good forum!

I'd move it, in your place. This thread - well, read a few of the less polite posts. here's one:

Your post makes very sensible and rational reading, which merits actual discussion,.This thread - usually doesn't.

I'm going to split it off because it's a great post of tips and advice to declutter our collections @Chariot. It deserves it's own thread in this section 🥰

I will link it from here now it's been moved over -

Let's get back to de-enabling the decks here which we really should not be buying 😉

On 8/4/2022 at 12:28 AM, DanielJUK said:

I can only speak on the Fin de siècle Kipper, as I own it. It has a steam punk style, not quite full steam punk but a sort of Victorian life theme. Kippers have more people cards that Lenormand, I personally like them better but they are both interesting. I would look at the artwork of both and maybe videos going through the decks on Youtube and then decide. To de-enable maybe you don't need either of them 😆

I am so bad at de-enabling people here, I apologise! :dancing-cat:

I don't know if this is de-enabling 😀  BUT if you 'happen' to also own Ciro Manchetti's Gilded Reverie Lenormand Expanded Edition you can actually mix it with the Fin De Siècle Kipper and use them both together!  Obviously you can't do a Grand Tableau with both decks together unless you want to climb onto a stepladder with a pair of binoculars, but for other drawn card readings, combining the two decks gives lots more options.  I imagine this will disconcert Lenormand/Kipper purists, but for me I like the more specific nature of the Kipper cards when mixed with the Lenormands.  However, as this is the DE-enabling thread, do NOT go out and buy the Gilded Reverie!  This tip is just if you own it already.  😉

48 minutes ago, Chariot said:

I don't know if this is de-enabling 😀  BUT if you 'happen' to also own Ciro Manchetti's Gilded Reverie Lenormand Expanded Edition you can actually mix it with the Fin De Siècle Kipper and use them both together!  Obviously you can't do a Grand Tableau with both decks together unless you want to climb onto a stepladder with a pair of binoculars, but for other drawn card readings, combining the two decks gives lots more options.  I imagine this will disconcert Lenormand/Kipper purists, but for me I like the more specific nature of the Kipper cards when mixed with the Lenormands.  However, as this is the DE-enabling thread, do NOT go out and buy the Gilded Reverie!  This tip is just if you own it already.  😉

You are right in that this is not deenabling. There is a very specific flavor to this thread and you may need to read through it to understand. You are not meant to say positive or constructive things or give tips etc, it’s only deenabling here, and it’s typically done in a playful, dark-humor-manner with a varying degree of exaggeration as to the ‘faults’ of the decks mentioned. 

19 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

You are right in that this is not deenabling. There is a very specific flavor to this thread and you may need to read through it to understand. You are not meant to say positive or constructive things or give tips etc, it’s only deenabling here, and it’s typically done in a playful, dark-humor-manner with a varying degree of exaggeration as to the ‘faults’ of the decks mentioned. 

Ach, well, I'll get the hang of it eventually ...I hope.  😬

1 hour ago, Chariot said:

Ach, well, I'll get the hang of it eventually ...I hope.  😬

I am sure you will! Just read through the thread and you’ll see what I mean 🙂

35 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I am sure you will! Just read through the thread and you’ll see what I mean 🙂

My mistake is that I've been going more by the title of the thread than what it actually contains.  I'll be more attentive in future.  I think I'll give this particular thread a miss for the time being.  Twice burned, etc.  I'll go and wreak havoc on some other thread instead.  😬

Don't worry @Chariot, you live, you learn 🙂

Now if there is a deck you want to be talked out of in future, please post it here! :78496:

Sometimes it's hard to work out the tone and idea of a thread. I have to say the enable and de-enable threads are a little different to the others, they are more humour and fun really. You went by the title but it's not exactly like that in the posts. I am sure you will have better luck in other thread discussions and your insights will be greatly welcome 🙂

I am pretty amused by people who post in both forums. I imagine them waiting to see which thread is most persuasive.   It seems like a useful strategy!

Thereisnoalgebra

I'm new here, and pretty new to tarot in general, which relates to my question here. I currently only have the Prisma Visions deck which I love, but I feel like getting a second deck. This one has really caught my eye - The Dimlit Tarot - but I'm wondering if it's a good choice for a newbie since it's so minimalist. My alternative is The Gentle Tarot which I think it probably more suitable in terms of having imagery to work with, but the Dimlit is still calling me. Please de-enable away!

It's so minimalist it wouldn't work at all for me - I'd rather just write the names (the PROPER names !!) of the cards on filing cards. If you wanted, you could even draw images just as good as those. As for its "uniquely mysterious aesthetic" - well, yes; indeed it is. Mysterious to the point of incomprehensible.

Also - you say you are a beginner; they do actually say how it

"has a shifted set of interpretations from a more traditional deck. For example, where many decks associate the Swords suit with emotionless reasoning, justice, and truth, the Dimlit Tarot brings a harsh lens to the numbered cards and reveals the deeper root of the Swords suit: the fear of, desire for, and danger inherent to power. Each suit and card is described in detail in the accompanying guidebook, bringing novices and experts alike to a unique perspective."

Are you ready to start out with a different perspective from most of us here ? One where all the other books out there would be no help at all - so very limiting. All those changed names... you'd come here to discuss your "VOICE" card - what are we to make of that ?  The more I look at it, the more I don't want it. And as one who will buy almost anything - that says a lot... (Full disclosure: I bailed on the Gentle as well... :lol:)

Edited by gregory

3 hours ago, Thereisnoalgebra said:

I'm new here, and pretty new to tarot in general, which relates to my question here. I currently only have the Prisma Visions deck which I love, but I feel like getting a second deck. This one has really caught my eye - The Dimlit Tarot - but I'm wondering if it's a good choice for a newbie since it's so minimalist. My alternative is The Gentle Tarot which I think it probably more suitable in terms of having imagery to work with, but the Dimlit is still calling me. Please de-enable away!

I agree with Gregory and I don’t think the Dimlit tarot is good for a newbie. So many of the cards are renamed and reimagined, and the artwork is minimal to the point that - at least for me - it stops being evocative or even particularly interesting. 

Thereisnoalgebra

You're a pair of stars, you're quite right - I had my doubts about the lack of imagery but was still very tempted by the matte blackness, but the reinterpretations are a step too far at my stage. Thank you!